• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Received my Giants Tix...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Yomiuri Giants in Tokyo that is :suds:

We're in Japan for three weeks in May and decided to take in a Giants/Dragon game at the Tokyo Dome.

From friends and colleagues who attended Japanese baseball, its apparently quite a different experience. Need to rewatch 'Mr. Baseball' - "very harmonious of you"

Quite looking forward to it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have very rowdy fans who do choreographed chants and dances, I think.

That should be fun.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're in Japan for three weeks in May and decided to take in a Giants/Dragon game at the Tokyo Dome.

From friends and colleagues who attended Japanese baseball, its apparently quite a different experience. Need to rewatch 'Mr. Baseball' - "very harmonious of you"

That's pretty sweet! Would love to experience baseball in a different country. I heard the KBO (Korean Baseball League) is very interesting. Very different from the Japanese and American baseball.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty sweet! Would love to experience baseball in a different country. I heard the KBO (Korean Baseball League) is very interesting. Very different from the Japanese and American baseball.

we did catch a semi-pro game in cuba a few years ago and got to spend some time at dinner with a few of the players... really a great day/evening

Reactions: LHG

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I went to see them five years ago. Bowker was on the team and the other team had Lastings Milledge. Super, super fun. Pay particular to the beer girls and the Japanese businessmen who hit on them. Good stuff.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have very rowdy fans who do choreographed chants and dances, I think.

That should be fun.

Yup. All teams have a fight song. The visiting fans all sit in the LF bleachers, and have several chants for individual batters. It's a blast.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun!

Oh btw, Bruins will be seeing revenge on Jan 27.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just returned and de-jetlagged from our month in japan (fantastic trip btw). I'm sure this is in the TLDR category but I feel like putting it out there

We did manage to see the Yomiuri (Tokyo) Giants vs Chunihi Dragons in the Tokyo Dome. It was nuts. 55k sellout, as is every game. Sellouts are the norm for every team in Japan. My impressions .....

Giants logo script and colors are similar to the SF Giants. Dragons look like the Dodgers... so we were settled in for a classic Giants-Dodgers rivalry game, cool. Decent seats, lower box just beyond 1st base about 15 rows back. Wore my SF Giant cap and no one gave any acknowledgement... not a single look, nod, or thumbs up - disappointed to say the least.

A few week later we stayed in Hiroshima and happened to be at the home hotel of the Hiroshima Fighting Carp (Carp paraphernalia plastered all over the lobby). Again the colors and script were a direct rip-off of the Cincy Reds. On a train a few days earlier we ran into Hanshin Tigers fans returning after a game - again colors and script were the Pirates.

Anyway, it got weird right away as we arrived via subway 30min prior to 1st pitch. As fans were streaming into the stadium, they were all singing in unison. Obviously we had no idea what they were singing, but learned later it was the Giants theme song. Went inside, found our seats, and enjoyed rendition after rendition of the Giants fight song. Probably 1/2 the crowd were 20somethings on date night... and everyone was singing - they even passed out lyrics (which were in Kanji so we had no chance in joining in. Then the 8 (that's right, ) frickin mascots came on the field to stir the crowd up. Followed by 50 or so cheerleaders, FIFTY GIANTS CHEERLEADERS... whipping the crowd into a pre game frenzy. Stadium was completely full 20min prior to 1st pitch.

The entire right field section was the 'official' Giants rooting section. Completely organized. 3 huge Giants flags wave continuously throughout the game. No one, in right field, sat down during the entire game. Sang continuously except when the Dragons were up and the Dragons cheer section in the left field bleachers came alive. Then they'd go back n' forth with the Giants - kinda like "Bring it On" (hurts to admit I watched that) that went on all frickin' game. On the plus side there was zero pumped in music, no walk up music, no national anthem, no seventh inning stretch, no posturing in the batter's box - so the game went fairly quickly...

This was my 1st in-person dome ball game. Astroturf throughout. No dirt basepaths, Astroturf everywhere except HP, mound and circles around the bags. Anything hit on the ground was like a rocket bouncing through the infield, kinda like a superball on steroids. Hard to watch. Player's were definitely not MLB skillz. Stanford would have given either team a run from what I saw.

Highlights... Very cute girls ran up and down the aisles all 9 inning serving draft beer from a keg on their backs for about $8. We're upto $14.50 at ATT and we have to go get it, and they stop serving at the 7th inning. So that was a positive. On the negative side, the food sucked, really sucked. Japanese cuisine is one of my favs, but this was just crap

Any way... felt all too familiar as the Dragons shut out the Giant 6-0 with 3 HRs.

Japanese are nuts for baseball - about the same magnitude as SEC fans are about college football.

Fun night... sorry about the keyboard diarrhea

s-t-m

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just returned and de-jetlagged from our month in japan (fantastic trip btw). I'm sure this is in the TLDR category but I feel like putting it out there

We did manage to see the Yomiuri (Tokyo) Giants vs Chunihi Dragons in the Tokyo Dome. It was nuts. 55k sellout, as is every game. Sellouts are the norm for every team in Japan. My impressions .....

Giants logo script and colors are similar to the SF Giants. Dragons look like the Dodgers... so we were settled in for a classic Giants-Dodgers rivalry game, cool. Decent seats, lower box just beyond 1st base about 15 rows back. Wore my SF Giant cap and no one gave any acknowledgement... not a single look, nod, or thumbs up - disappointed to say the least.

A few week later we stayed in Hiroshima and happened to be at the home hotel of the Hiroshima Fighting Carp (Carp paraphernalia plastered all over the lobby). Again the colors and script were a direct rip-off of the Cincy Reds. On a train a few days earlier we ran into Hanshin Tigers fans returning after a game - again colors and script were the Pirates.

Anyway, it got weird right away as we arrived via subway 30min prior to 1st pitch. As fans were streaming into the stadium, they were all singing in unison. Obviously we had no idea what they were singing, but learned later it was the Giants theme song. Went inside, found our seats, and enjoyed rendition after rendition of the Giants fight song. Probably 1/2 the crowd were 20somethings on date night... and everyone was singing - they even passed out lyrics (which were in Kanji so we had no chance in joining in. Then the 8 (that's right, ) frickin mascots came on the field to stir the crowd up. Followed by 50 or so cheerleaders, FIFTY GIANTS CHEERLEADERS... whipping the crowd into a pre game frenzy. Stadium was completely full 20min prior to 1st pitch.

The entire right field section was the 'official' Giants rooting section. Completely organized. 3 huge Giants flags wave continuously throughout the game. No one, in right field, sat down during the entire game. Sang continuously except when the Dragons were up and the Dragons cheer section in the left field bleachers came alive. Then they'd go back n' forth with the Giants - kinda like "Bring it On" (hurts to admit I watched that) that went on all frickin' game. On the plus side there was zero pumped in music, no walk up music, no national anthem, no seventh inning stretch, no posturing in the batter's box - so the game went fairly quickly...

This was my 1st in-person dome ball game. Astroturf throughout. No dirt basepaths, Astroturf everywhere except HP, mound and circles around the bags. Anything hit on the ground was like a rocket bouncing through the infield, kinda like a superball on steroids. Hard to watch. Player's were definitely not MLB skillz. Stanford would have given either team a run from what I saw.

Highlights... Very cute girls ran up and down the aisles all 9 inning serving draft beer from a keg on their backs for about $8. We're upto $14.50 at ATT and we have to go get it, and they stop serving at the 7th inning. So that was a positive. On the negative side, the food sucked, really sucked. Japanese cuisine is one of my favs, but this was just crap

Any way... felt all too familiar as the Dragons shut out the Giant 6-0 with 3 HRs.

Japanese are nuts for baseball - about the same magnitude as SEC fans are about college football.

Fun night... sorry about the keyboard diarrhea

s-t-m
Sounds fun. I would like to get over there some day to take in a game.