• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rebels can win final five games

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be very nice, but based on the past I'm not to confident that can do it.

Fresno State has a better football team than UNLV and proved it with a 38-14 win. The Bulldogs are better than any other Mountain West team. It will take a crazy scenario for them not to bust through those Bowl Championship Series cartel doors and play in a big-money postseason game this year.

The Rebels never were going to beat Fresno State. I don’t think anyone will during the regular season.

But that’s not to say UNLV shouldn’t contend to win each of its final five games and in the process qualify for the program’s first bowl since 2000.

“I don’t think the snowball-type effect of (the past) will be in play,” UNLV coach Bobby Hauck said of his team’s history of following one loss with another and another and so on. “Fresno State is ranked 17th in the country. Our guys expected to go in there and win that game. I was with them all week and in the locker room before and after the game, and our guys expected to go in, find a way to compete and win.

“It’s more about multiple years of guys having that attitude instilled in them. To have our guys have the ability to win (four straight games before Fresno State) was good. Now, we have to get back on track.”

I’m not saying they will win all remaining games; not saying they won’t. Might lose them all. The Rebels certainly are not better than most of the five opponents, but they’re closer in ability than at any time under Hauck.

I’m saying they can be victorious more often than not, beginning with this week’s rivalry game at UNR.

Here is one reason when forecasting each of the five games:

■ At UNR, Saturday: Think of how much George Washington wanted to win the Battle of Yorktown and force the British to surrender … almost as much as former Wolf Pack coach Chris Ault enjoyed beating UNLV, which he did the past eight years by an average score of 35-19.

To suggest Ault was obsessed with winning the state’s rivalry game is to suggest those One Direction kids have a hefty following of female fans. Ault was a complete nut job about beating the Rebels.

But the little general — Ault, not Washington — now is a consultant to the Kansas City Chiefs, and I can’t for the life of me think UNR coach Brian Polian has the same level of scorn (er, passion) about winning this game. In fact, this will be Polian’s first appearance in the rivalry.

Ault’s absence and a much closer level of talent between the sides gives UNLV every chance to bathe a certain cannon in red.

■ Vs. San Jose State, Nov. 2: Three of the first five questions to Spartans coach Ron Caragher at his weekly news conference Monday were about injured players. San Jose State is beat up, and UNLV is 3-1 at Sam Boyd Stadium this season. Decent odds, these.

■ Vs. Utah State, Nov. 9: Do you know that saying about how one player doesn’t make a team, how no one is that important to the overall success of a program? I believe Chuckie Keeton was for the Aggies. The dynamic junior quarterback was lost for the season with an injured knee on Oct. 4, meaning Utah State isn’t near as explosive. Darell Garretson is a true freshman who will arrive in Las Vegas with two career starts at quarterback. What once was a game UNLV likely couldn’t win (pre-Keeton injury) now is one it can.

■ At Air Force, Nov. 21: Hauck has won just 10 games at UNLV in almost four seasons, but he’s 2-2 after an off week.

Bob knows byes.

He also knows, or will when flipping on film of Air Force with ample time to prepare, that these hardly are your father’s Falcons. They are 1-6 entering this week’s game against Notre Dame and have defeated only mighty Colgate. Why can UNLV win this one? Easy. It’s the better team.

■ Vs. San Diego State, Nov. 30: It’s not crazy to think both could be playing for bowl eligibility in this season finale. It’s also a fact that the Rebels and Aztecs are near even in terms of skill. So in a game that figures to be final-possession close, I’ll take the team with the better kicker. Nolan Kohorst very well could boot the Rebels into a bowl here, while San Diego State’s kicking issues in recent times have rivaled the “Blair Witch Project.”

Not saying the Rebels will win all five.

Not saying they can’t, either.

Somewhere in that forecast, however, should be two more victories and a bowl berth.

Rebels can win final five games | Las Vegas Review-Journal

web1_8632088-0-150007_0.jpg

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit! Not going to happen. If they beat UNR, which i dont think they will, I will consider it a huge success for the season. I think they should win at least 2, or maybe 3 more. Its nice after typically winning 2 or 3 the whole season.

dj_john69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,065.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL good luck with that.

This Saturday in RENO....worry about that game. Nevada is pissed off at their performance in Boise last weekend and they will be ready for the Rebels.

The cannon will stay SILVER & BLUE for another year =)

GO PACK !!!!

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pack sand! It has been silver and blue long enough. I still dont think the rebs win, but oh fuck i would love to see it. Your new coach doesnt have the same hatred of UNLV, that the other asshole did.

dj_john69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,065.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, these aren't the Rebels from the past...you actually have a decent team overall. Us Pack fans are worried about this game. I heard that you guys lost your starting rb or something. I was worried about your running game against the Packs D. Nevada is HORRIBLE stopping any run. They couldn't stop an old lady from crossing the road if they needed to.

I think this game will be a lot closer than any game in the past. Should be a fun one. Sucks i'll be at work and not the game.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking UNLV will win 3 of them

but yes winning all is not out of the question

very good turnaround

dj_john69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,065.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win Rebels. You guys deserved the W today. Nevada didn't want show up...once again this season.

Great coaching UNLV. Your QB is a bad ass !!!

Once again, congrats on FINALLY getting the cannon back. NOW PLEASE, don't fucking break it this time !!! haha

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantees on the breaking or not. You guys could switch it with a fake and nobosy on the team would know the difference.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for UNLV today

what a turnaround this year is for them

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad too. There were all kinds of rumblings about firing Bobby Hauck before they started winning. Havent heard much about that since.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clearly, it went from looking like another bad year or UNLV to one of the best they've had in a long time

QB switch must have been huge too

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only real difference it seems. Nick Sherry at times looks like a really good QB, but when they got down, he started trying to do too much and turning it over.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only real difference it seems. Nick Sherry at times looks like a really good QB, but when they got down, he started trying to do too much and turning it over.

I'm guessing that was why you guys were in close with Minnesota and Arizona then suddenly imploded to lose by a lot

This should be the game that gets you bowl eligible

also you're on ESPNU which is pretty notable

of course most of the country will watch LSU/Bama at that time

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
caught the ending of today's game

very poor set of plays on that final drive, really didn't give themselves much of chance with those

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what you call crapping the bed. Those are heart breakers, but they dont have anyone to blame, they could have won by doing more earlier too.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNLV vs AF looks like nothing i would ever wan to play football in, but the Rebs looking good running the ball!

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6-5 right now, cant even believe it. Great season for UNLV, and bowl eligible.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In summary since this thread

UNLV beat Nevada

lost to San Jose State and Utah State

then blew out Air Force and San Diego State to finish the regular season 7-5

good year for the Rebels

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come the basketball school is getting to bowl games while our conference's football school is now slipping in that sport but picked to win in hoops? lol hahaha