• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic Trades For Carmelo

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade for melo seems realistic.
i actually think Chicago would be a great place for him- they need the offense in a bad way. He could split his minutes between SF and PF here and there.

Washington would make sense as well.

The Knicks arent going to get more than a couple decent young players and a pick or two for him.

Like from Chicago- if it was more than Gibson, Mirotic, and a first rounder- and even that seems like a lot (not too mention the money doesnt work so there would have to be other machinations).

or like Tlance said in Washington--- Otto Porter JR. , a pick or two and then some salary ballast.

I think he helps both teams though and is a pretty good fit on both teams.

Geems

America First
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo said he'd only go to LA or Cleveland.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually think Chicago would be a great place for him- they need the offense in a bad way. He could split his minutes between SF and PF here and there.

The Knicks arent going to get more than a couple decent young players and a pick or two for him.

Like from Chicago- if it was more than Gibson, Mirotic, and a first rounder- and even that seems like a lot (not too mention the money doesnt work so there would have to be other machinations).

or like Tlance said in Washington--- Otto Porter JR. , a pick or two and then some salary ballast.

Washington would be pretty damn scary with him the next few years until he whithers into what Vince Carter has become the last few years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington would be pretty damn scary with him the next few years until he whithers into what Vince Carter has become the last few years.

Eh.

Their chemistry is already suspect. Melo would not improve that. He would be an upgrade, but not enough of one to beat the top teams in the East.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well them youre delusional.

Carmelo might be a good player and in fact he is a great player that I don't think many teams will want. If you have a young core of players, you won't want him because you want your players to play team basketball - not individual ball like Anthony. If you could find a good team mate like Ray Allen was to Carmelo and sell the idea of a miniature batman and Robin, then you would have something, but the guy really does not have good trade value unless you want to bring him off the bench and in that case you wouldn't want to pay. I could see him going to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio in that role. Possibly Miami, but you're kidding yourself if you think anyone is going to give them a young star for an aging player that is selfish and over paid

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hear your proposal so I can laugh.

Melo for a 2nd round pick?

For the Lakers, I'm out and am not interested. I like what the Lakers have. The Laker should be able to win 30 games which is a significant improvement from last year. I believe without any changes, the group of young players will continue to get better and be destined to 40 wins in the next season and that will be sufficient to attract players that can make the Lakers contenders. An Aging player like Ron Harper to teach them how to compete and then retire is possible, but I wouldn't be interested in a player that would in my opinion impede the progress

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo might be a good player and in fact he is a great player that I don't think many teams will want. If you have a young core of players, you won't want him because you want your players to play team basketball - not individual ball like Anthony. If you could find a good team mate like Ray Allen was to Carmelo and sell the idea of a miniature batman and Robin, then you would have something, but the guy really does not have good trade value unless you want to bring him off the bench and in that case you wouldn't want to pay. I could see him going to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio in that role. Possibly Miami, but you're kidding yourself if you think anyone is going to give them a young star for an aging player that is selfish and over paid
I was thinking Chicago in a deal based around Gibson and Valentine/Mirotic and a pick (and cap flotsam to even it out).

or maybe Washington for Otto Porter, a pick and cap flotsam.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Chicago in a deal based around Gibson and Valentine/Mirotic and a pick (and cap flotsam to even it out).

or maybe Washington for Otto Porter, a pick and cap flotsam.
I prefer team basketball 24/7, but realistically it doesn't happen 100% of the time, so there is a place for Carmelo in the NBA. I don't want him on the Lakers and I doubt you would want him on the Cavalier's either - lol. The place you want him is on a team like the Bulls who won't pose a threat to you and you could argue that by playing for the Bulls, Carmelo will be helping the Cavalier's :heh:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo said he'd only go to LA or Cleveland.
LA - Clippers or Lakers - there are two teams and seriously - I doubt either team wants him. In fact I doubt Cleveland want's him. Sacramento Kings might be interested though

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one more thought for the Knicks fan - Griffin for Carmelo is not going to happen on planet earth. Just saying that there is a better chance at @trojanfan12 becoming a Clippers fan - than of that happening - lol

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there are many people in this world who would give up any significant value for Melo.

You have to ask yourself:

What does he bring to a young team?
Well, not much. He is a ball stopper who doesn't defend. Is he a good scorer? yes, but even there his efficiency has gone down and he will mainly stunt the offensive growth of other young players. Teams in this category would place little value in someone like Melo, and therefore would give up little value.

What does he bring to a contender?
Again, most contenders aren't looking to add a 32 year old ball stopping, non-defender. Especially not one they'd need to rework their whole offense around. Teams in this category are typically looking to add role players who can seamlessly fit into the team culture and contribute. Most aren't looking to trade away members of the core. So these teams would not produce much value for melo.

What does he bring to a playoff team that isn't a contender?
Maybe he makes them a little more competitive, but I don't think he puts anyone over the top. This is probably the place you can get the most value. But again, why would you be trading a younger player of Melo's caliber for Melo? In almost any circumstance Melo would have to be an upgrade, otherwise the trade doesn't make sense.

What does he bring to a fringe playoff team?
Ask the Knicks. If you can't make the playoffs in the east with a roster that, while it isn't great, stacks up better than many in the east than its hard to convince me he'd make a huge difference in other, similar situations.

I just don't see a situation where he adds enough value to any of the above situations where they would give up anywhere close to a high value player. It'd always be a mediocre young player and pieces to make salaries match.

The truth with Melo is he is a 32 year old declining scorer who hasn't scored more than 25 ppg or even shot above 45% since 13-14. His defensive effort has always lacked, and he isn't a great facilitator. It would be foolish for any team to give up valuable assets for him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there are many people in this world who would give up any significant value for Melo.

You have to ask yourself:

What does he bring to a young team?
Well, not much. He is a ball stopper who doesn't defend. Is he a good scorer? yes, but even there his efficiency has gone down and he will mainly stunt the offensive growth of other young players. Teams in this category would place little value in someone like Melo, and therefore would give up little value.

What does he bring to a contender?
Again, most contenders aren't looking to add a 32 year old ball stopping, non-defender. Especially not one they'd need to rework their whole offense around. Teams in this category are typically looking to add role players who can seamlessly fit into the team culture and contribute. Most aren't looking to trade away members of the core. So these teams would not produce much value for melo.

What does he bring to a playoff team that isn't a contender?
Maybe he makes them a little more competitive, but I don't think he puts anyone over the top. This is probably the place you can get the most value. But again, why would you be trading a younger player of Melo's caliber for Melo? In almost any circumstance Melo would have to be an upgrade, otherwise the trade doesn't make sense.

What does he bring to a fringe playoff team?
Ask the Knicks. If you can't make the playoffs in the east with a roster that, while it isn't great, stacks up better than many in the east than its hard to convince me he'd make a huge difference in other, similar situations.

I just don't see a situation where he adds enough value to any of the above situations where they would give up anywhere close to a high value player. It'd always be a mediocre young player and pieces to make salaries match.

The truth with Melo is he is a 32 year old declining scorer who hasn't scored more than 25 ppg or even shot above 45% since 13-14. His defensive effort has always lacked, and he isn't a great facilitator. It would be foolish for any team to give up valuable assets for him.
Kind of reminds me of a cheaper version of Iverson who at least got his team to the finals once

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe a good idea for NY to make that deal but they would basically be the old ass Bulls less Jimmy Butler, + Porzingis.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of reminds me of a cheaper version of Iverson who at least got his team to the finals once

and for all his faults most would describe iverson as a guy who had a "warrior" mentality. Don't think anyone will ever describe melo that way.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only makes sense for a team that could use him as an attraction for other free agents to come to the team.
Otherwise he's just not worth the cost.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only makes sense for a team that could use him as an attraction for other free agents to come to the team.
Otherwise he's just not worth the cost.

He's been in NY for a long while, all he's gotten is an over-the-hill Amare. I doubt that is enough reason to trade for him.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geems.....the load that his mom should have swallowed. Would have solved so many problems.