• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reaction To The Pistons-Clippers Blake Griffin Blockbuster

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to feel Pistons one the deal, but neither team is a factor in the next couple of years so not a big deal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree. This trade doesn't help Detroit all that much because their backcourt is what, Smith and Kennard? As dominating as Griffin/Drummond could be, that backcourt isn't really scary.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake is only good for about 2/3 of any given season, so his impact will be limited in the long run. Meanwhile, the Clips now have more cap flexibility to further the rebuild started when CP3 left.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to feel Pistons one the deal, but neither team is a factor in the next couple of years so not a big deal

Pistons only won the trade in the sense that they accomplish what they wanted to. They're going to make the playoffs, people are going to show up to games, but they're not in a position to better themselves for a championship run now or later.

The Clippers have prepared themselves much better for the future. But, cap space doesn't guarantee good FA signings, they could end up overpaying for someone else just because they have cap space they need to use and want to bring someone in.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember its much easier to find backcourt players than 4s or 5s that can stretch the floor. I am sure the Pistons will find some guards in the FA ahead

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons got the best player in the deal but the Clippers won the deal in the quality of the players they got back.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the Clippers would have been better served to have traded Danilo Galinari - if that was possible. 24 million for a 13 ppg player

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pistons only won the trade in the sense that they accomplish what they wanted to. They're going to make the playoffs, people are going to show up to games, but they're not in a position to better themselves for a championship run now or later.

The Clippers have prepared themselves much better for the future. But, cap space doesn't guarantee good FA signings, they could end up overpaying for someone else just because they have cap space they need to use and want to bring someone in.
This trade didn't make them a better team. Or increase their playoff chances.

It brought a name people recoginize who might sell more tickets. That's it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the Clippers would have been better served to have traded Danilo Galinari - if that was possible. 24 million for a 13 ppg player
What would he bring in return?

Two players that make 24 million combined?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Close to it this year AJ is 22.6 and DG is 20.5 - Next year will get 24 and DG will get 21.5 - I would play for 1 million:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer to the first question is zero - because no one is going to take Gallinari with a contract like that for the same reason the Lakers can't trade Luol Deng

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reaction though Is I wish both teams and their respective fans the best of luck.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember its much easier to find backcourt players than 4s or 5s that can stretch the floor. I am sure the Pistons will find some guards in the FA ahead
The problem is their cap.

They are in the same position as NOLA and need to try and add thru the draft.

Next year, they owe over 95 mil to Blake, Drummond, Jackson, Leur, Galloway and Smith.

Not sure what they were thinking giving Leur 10 mil per thru 2020.

Smith is the only guy who comes off the books after NEXT SEASON.

They are in cap hell.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no good basketball reasons for the Pistons to make this trade.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no good basketball reasons for the Pistons to make this trade.
Nope. There sure wasn't.

Brand new arena, with two not good teams that are drawing poorly, calling it home.

I've had several not very involved Pistons fans strike up a conversation because of the trade the last couple days. So they're getting what they want.

Im not pleased.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams did pretty equally well, imo.

The Clips weren't going any farther than the 2nd round of the playoffs with Blake and that's only if he's healthy, which is always questionable with him. The Clippers had to move him so they can clear cap space to chase FA's in the off-season. Or be in a better position to start a complete rebuild if they don't land top FA's.

If Blake is healthy, he makes the Pistons better. Not better enough to come out of the East, but better enough to maybe have a say in who does. I don't know what the Pistons cap situation is, but he's a big enough name to help them land a top FA in the off-season too.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Clips weren't going any farther than the 2nd round of the playoffs with Blake and that's only if he's healthy, which is always questionable with him. The Clippers had to move him so they can clear cap space to chase FA's in the off-season. Or be in a better position to start a complete rebuild if they don't land top FA's.

If Blake is healthy, he makes the Pistons better. Not better enough to come out of the East, but better enough to maybe have a say in who does. I don't know what the Pistons cap situation is, but he's a big enough name to help them land a top FA in the off-season too.
They still are at 100 million even with the ones that are expiring contracts, but I do think it makes things easier for them to move the others they got back. They really need to dump the Rivers Contract-which is not going to happen, and the Gallinari dude-which is highly unlikely that can be moved.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are now in cap hell.

Blake, Drummond, Jackson, Ish Smith, Langston Galloway, Jon Leur......for 95 million next Season.

JUST THOSE GUYS!!!

And, everyone outside of Smith are on the books for at least 2 more Seasons AFTER this one.

Add in the guys on rookie deals and they are Damn near hardcapped.

I don't understand this deal from the Pistons perspective outside of they needed a name to put asses in the seat.