• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rashaan Salaam Found Dead

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah just saw that... Sad...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how disappointed bears fans were in his career, you gotta wonder how he dealt with it himself.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how disappointed bears fans were in his career, you gotta wonder how he dealt with it himself.

Not saying his apparent suicide had anything to do with football, but it does have to be pretty tough knowing nothing but success. Winning a Heisman in college, and being crowned the next Payton basically after a great rookie season. Then watching it all crumble and a fan-base turn on you. Dreams dashed, money runs out... the world has forgotten you ever existed outside of the occasional mention in NFL bust lists... no other plans pan out. Has to make a guy sit there and wonder how the hell it all happened... Takes a pretty mentally strong guy to overcome that.

NFL players do live extremely pampered, dream-like lifestyles. However, their professional failure is also as radically humiliating, as their success is rewarding. Then, when that goes wrong... a lot of these guys can't let it go. They didn't spend a single second preparing for anything but football.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is sad news. To young.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying his apparent suicide had anything to do with football, but it does have to be pretty tough knowing nothing but success. Winning a Heisman in college, and being crowned the next Payton basically after a great rookie season. Then watching it all crumble and a fan-base turn on you. Dreams dashed, money runs out... the world has forgotten you ever existed outside of the occasional mention in NFL bust lists... no other plans pan out. Has to make a guy sit there and wonder how the hell it all happened... Takes a pretty mentally strong guy to overcome that.

NFL players do live extremely pampered, dream-like lifestyles. However, their professional failure is also as radically humiliating, as their success is rewarding. Then, when that goes wrong... a lot of these guys can't let it go. They didn't spend a single second preparing for anything but football.

This, the bolded text, strikes me... as hypocritical. Coming from a fan on a message board. I'm not saying you rich...you at least brought this story up. (I was going to) What's hypocritical is that "fans" of any team, any pro athlete feel they are owed something. Feel they have a right to boo...bitch...moan... and COMPLETELY light a guy on fire (figuratively) *or his jersey... Run him out of town.
The shit I see that people write about sports figures is grotesque. I completely understand that is the way of the internet and 2016... hiding behind a computer screen. The idea of "just joking" or "breaking balls" or the worse: "he's a public figure, if he didn't want the heat, he shouldn't have become a pro athlete" And and even MORE popular: "if he can't take it...he must be weak/gay"
Now I don't know what happened to Rashaan Salaam- I don't know if he had other issues in his life that could have caused a possible suicide. BUT I do know that MANY MANY MANY of the posters and internet "tough guys" couldn't handle even a 10th of what some of these athletes have had to endure over the internet age of sports.
A google search can be REALLY rough...when it's your own name attached to the vile spew. For no other reason than you lost a sports game.
Just my 2 cents.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Rashaan, thoughts and prayers for the family and friends of his. Too young

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, the bolded text, strikes me... as hypocritical. Coming from a fan on a message board. I'm not saying you rich...you at least brought this story up. (I was going to) What's hypocritical is that "fans" of any team, any pro athlete feel they are owed something. Feel they have a right to boo...bitch...moan... and COMPLETELY light a guy on fire (figuratively) *or his jersey... Run him out of town.
The shit I see that people write about sports figures is grotesque. I completely understand that is the way of the internet and 2016... hiding behind a computer screen. The idea of "just joking" or "breaking balls" or the worse: "he's a public figure, if he didn't want the heat, he shouldn't have become a pro athlete" And and even MORE popular: "if he can't take it...he must be weak/gay"
Now I don't know what happened to Rashaan Salaam- I don't know if he had other issues in his life that could have caused a possible suicide. BUT I do know that MANY MANY MANY of the posters and internet "tough guys" couldn't handle even a 10th of what some of these athletes have had to endure over the internet age of sports.
A google search can be REALLY rough...when it's your own name attached to the vile spew. For no other reason than you lost a sports game.
Just my 2 cents.

It's simple. They get millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game, and be in the public eye. When they play well, they are beloved by an entire city, they get gigantic endorsement deals, they fuck super models and live the ultimate American wet dream. The trade off, when they fail, it is on a national stage.

It's very fair. Tough at times? Yes, but fair.

It is a part of what athletes are, public figures. You can't have all of that "good", without something bad being there to balance it out. That's a deal that 99% of the average Joe's in the world would take any day of the week.

There is no hypocrisy here. I fully sympathize with players who have had to deal with fan-base's giving them shit, but I'm also not naive to miss the full picture. Fans are well within their right to say whatever the hell they want... to be honest.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple. They get millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game, and be in the public eye. When they play well, they are beloved by an entire city, they get gigantic endorsement deals, they fuck super models and live the ultimate American wet dream. The trade off, when they fail, it is on a national stage.

It's very fair. Tough at times? Yes, but fair.

It is a part of what athletes are, public figures. You can't have all of that "good", without something bad being there to balance it out. That's a deal that 99% of the average Joe's in the world would take any day of the week.

There is no hypocrisy here. I fully sympathize with players who have had to deal with fan-base's giving them shit, but I'm also not naive to miss the full picture. Fans are well within their right to say whatever the hell they want... to be honest.

This is a kid that made bad choices from the beginning. I highly doubt he finally tried weed when he was a professional athlete, he had a history of covering up.

Part of this falls on the NFL. Look at the old greats that made the NFL what it is today who played for 50k a year, these new players blow that one night club visit. Ditkus is fighting for pensions, but to me its more than pensions, its saving these players money for them when they get old and run out. Its the nature of the current athlete.

Look at all the concussion protocols we see every single week, but make a great play and go to the sidelines you get 30 players hitting your helmet and your neck going side to side when they congratulate you. Thats a fundamentally broken system of protecting these players, but the great colleges will keep feeding you replacements so keep the multi billion dollar business going.

Suicide sucks for the families of the one that gave up, too young is a good comment to make, but these times you hope the family and friends realize that they stopped fighting for this man and hope they dont end up blaming themselves. Thats all you can look at when you read news of the suicide, look around your life and see if there is someone that deserves a phone call or visit.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a kid that made bad choices from the beginning. I highly doubt he finally tried weed when he was a professional athlete, he had a history of covering up.

Part of this falls on the NFL. Look at the old greats that made the NFL what it is today who played for 50k a year, these new players blow that one night club visit. Ditkus is fighting for pensions, but to me its more than pensions, its saving these players money for them when they get old and run out. Its the nature of the current athlete.

Look at all the concussion protocols we see every single week, but make a great play and go to the sidelines you get 30 players hitting your helmet and your neck going side to side when they congratulate you. Thats a fundamentally broken system of protecting these players, but the great colleges will keep feeding you replacements so keep the multi billion dollar business going.

Suicide sucks for the families of the one that gave up, too young is a good comment to make, but these times you hope the family and friends realize that they stopped fighting for this man and hope they dont end up blaming themselves. Thats all you can look at when you read news of the suicide, look around your life and see if there is someone that deserves a phone call or visit.

Look at all the concussion protocols we see every single week, but make a great play and go to the sidelines you get 30 players hitting your helmet and your neck going side to side when they congratulate you.

Okay, I have to get this part out of the way. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read in the entirety of my message board posting life. lol. I suppose baseball players shouldn't give pitchers a congratulatory ass-smack because it might cause glut issues. High fives need to be banned from QB's, because it might damage their throwing hand! How reckless! Lmao... Sorry, but that's impossible not to make fun of AI.

Part of this falls on the NFL. Look at the old greats that made the NFL what it is today who played for 50k a year

I am curious as to how this is the NFL's fault. The market dictate's worth. All the NFL did was push their brand like any business/organization. Society decided these players were worth millions. Not the NFL.

its saving these players money for them when they get old and run out.

It's not the NFL's job to do that. It's an individual's job to plan for his own future. These are grown men, not children. No one should be holding their hands.

Athlete's have actually been getting much better with finances recently as well. There's a lot of awareness about saving your money, investing and how to do it for these guys now.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I have to get this part out of the way. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read in the entirety of my message board posting life. lol. I suppose baseball players shouldn't give pitchers a congratulatory ass-smack because it might cause glut issues. High fives need to be banned from QB's, because it might damage their throwing hand! How reckless! Lmao... Sorry, but that's impossible not to make fun of AI.

This just makes me think of Kendry Morales snapping his leg at home plate celebrating his walk off grand slam, or Bill Gramatica (The best sports injury EVER!!!) blowing out his knee celebrating the way he and his freak brother did after making routine kicks... ;)

richig07 said:
It's not the NFL's job to do that. It's an individual's job to plan for his own future. These are grown men, not children. No one should be holding their hands.

Athlete's have actually been getting much better with finances recently as well. There's a lot of awareness about saving your money, investing and how to do it for these guys now.

Yeah, I can see the use of a little, "Save them from themselves" here. I could see a program the NFL could run that could put 10% or so of a player's paycheck (maybe even more?) in a trust fund during the player's career or something. Heck then even a player who pulls $3 Million/year for only 3 years could end up with $900K waiting for them when they leave... I mean we always hear how friends and family leeches come out of the woodwork and suck these players dry during their careers. Maybe this would be a built-in excuse to have money that they can't get their grubby paws on?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just makes me think of Kendry Morales snapping his leg at home plate celebrating his walk off grand slam, or Bill Gramatica (The best sports injury EVER!!!) blowing out his knee celebrating the way he and his freak brother did after making routine kicks... ;)

Yeah, I can see the use of a little, "Save them from themselves" here. I could see a program the NFL could run that could put 10% or so of a player's paycheck (maybe even more?) in a trust fund during the player's career or something. Heck then even a player who pulls $3 Million/year for only 3 years could end up with $900K waiting for them when they leave... I mean we always hear how friends and family leeches come out of the woodwork and suck these players dry during their careers. Maybe this would be a built-in excuse to have money that they can't get their grubby paws on?

Yeah, I agree. There could be some kind of 401k program put in place. At the very least, for players who are interested. I don't see why not.

I think things are definitely getting better now. Plenty of stories about guys like Gronkowski, Carson Palmer and Marshawn Lynch living off of their endorsement money and their contract money going straight to savings. Those tales didn't use to exist.

There's even a mandatory program for rookies now, that includes financial management tips and better helping them prepare for what the NFL will be like. Tips for staying out of trouble off of the field... etc...

I think it's heading in a good direction, and hopefully stories of broke players start to disappear. A guy like Curt Schilling who invested all of his money into a video game company that failed... there's nothing you can really do about that. lol.

I think most of this stuff can be fixed with a little guidance. Like, I'm sure Chad Ochocinco wishes someone had mentioned to him; "Hey... just so you know. Those 10,000 dollar tabs you run up at the club every weekend are going to add up to a VERY big number eventually."... or... "Yeah, stories about guys who spend over a million dollars in jewelry don't tend to end well." lol

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree. There could be some kind of 401k program put in place. At the very least, for players who are interested. I don't see why not.

I think things are definitely getting better now. Plenty of stories about guys like Gronkowski, Carson Palmer and Marshawn Lynch living off of their endorsement money and their contract money going straight to savings. Those tales didn't use to exist.

There's even a mandatory program for rookies now, that includes financial management tips and better helping them prepare for what the NFL will be like. Tips for staying out of trouble off of the field... etc...

I think it's heading in a good direction, and hopefully stories of broke players start to disappear. A guy like Curt Schilling who invested all of his money into a video game company that failed... there's nothing you can really do about that. lol.

I think most of this stuff can be fixed with a little guidance. Like, I'm sure Chad Ochocinco wishes someone had mentioned to him; "Hey... just so you know. Those 10,000 dollar tabs you run up at the club every weekend are going to add up to a VERY big number eventually."... or... "Yeah, stories about guys who spend over a million dollars in jewelry don't tend to end well." lol

And maybe mention, "And when the hell did you suddenly become a jewelry afficionado anyway? Do you REALLY like diamonds that much?"... :D

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Nation condolences:

rashaansalaamformerlyofthechicagobearsdeadatage42.jpg

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the concussion protocols we see every single week, but make a great play and go to the sidelines you get 30 players hitting your helmet and your neck going side to side when they congratulate you.

You know I see things that others do not even pay attention to, just focus on it and you will see. Of course you need to push buttons claiming my stupidity again, but just seriously watch and see how hard they are hitting eachother.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I see things that others do not even pay attention to, just focus on it and you will see. Of course you need to push buttons claiming my stupidity again, but just seriously watch and see how hard they are hitting eachother.

Like many others, I played the game. A congratulatory smack on the helmet has and will be apart of the game forever. You're not seeing anything that anyone else is missing. You're simply the only that somehow cannot comprehend the difference between a full speed helmet-to-helmet collision and giving someone a "high five" on the helmet.

This is the dumbest point ever attempted to be made in the history of this board, and possibly in the history of message boards themselves. Holy shit. Stop. Please.

I simply cannot fathom that I just took time out of my life to respond to this. Wow. What a waste.