• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the Rebuilding Teams In The Western Conference

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article where the writer ranks the rebuilding teams in the Western Conference:

Mark Heisler’s rebuilding rankings: Rounding up usual suspects below .500 mark

He has them (with a paraphrasing of his reasoning for those who don't want to read the article:

1. T-Wolves: Despite only sitting in the 13 spot there are about 25 teams (including the Lakers) who would trade their roster for one loaded with prospects like Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, Dunn and Muhammad. Thibs has them No. 7 in defense over the past 15 games.

2. Pelicans: Similar to the T-Wolves, but with worse luck, more injuries, less depth and no leadership. But you have to like a core of the Brow, Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to build around.

3. Lakers: Prospects Russell, Randle and Ingram are in an earlier stage of development than others. Unlike some of the other teams on the list, leadership doesn't appear to be an issue any longer. They have the right coach (finally) and Jeanie seems to be looking to run the franchise like her Dad (provide the vision and let the professionals fulfill it).

4. Kings: The teams hopes AND fears all revolve around Boogie Cousins. Ranadive has essentially created a no-win situation for himself and his franchise. They currently sit at #9 in the West. Can they build on this? Or will they see Boogie leave in 2020 and have to start over again?

5. Nuggets: They have solid pieces in Gallinari, Chandler, Jokic and Nurkic, but no stars. They also have the No. 29 payroll and an owner who seems more interested in making/saving money than building a contender.

6. Suns: Some good pieces in Booker, Chriss, Bender and Len. The problem is owner Robert Sarver who said he would sit back and let the Colangelo's run the team. Then went from involved owner to meddlesome owner, prompting the Colangelo's to leave.

7. Mavs: Management, they've got. Memories, they've got. Prospects, they don't got. Cuban did a good job of keeping together the team that won the title in 2011. Unfortunately, you have to get old sometime and they did.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article where the writer ranks the rebuilding teams in the Western Conference:

He has them (with a paraphrasing of his reasoning for those who don't want to read the article:

1. T-Wolves: Despite only sitting in the 13 spot there are about 25 teams (including the Lakers) who would trade their roster for one loaded with prospects like Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, Dunn and Muhammad. Thibs has them No. 7 in defense over the past 15 games.

2. Hornets: Similar to the T-Wolves, but with worse luck, more injuries, less depth and no leadership. But you have to like a core of the Brow, Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to build around.

3. Lakers: Prospects Russell, Randle and Ingram are in an earlier stage of development than others. Unlike some of the other teams on the list, leadership doesn't appear to be an issue any longer. They have the right coach (finally) and Jeanie seems to be looking to run the franchise like her Dad (provide the vision and let the professionals fulfill it).

4. Kings: The teams hopes AND fears all revolve around Boogie Cousins. Ranadive has essentially created a no-win situation for himself and his franchise. They currently sit at #9 in the West. Can they build on this? Or will they see Boogie leave in 2020 and have to start over again?

5. Nuggets: They have solid pieces in Gallinari, Chandler, Jokic and Nurkic, but no stars. They also have the No. 29 payroll and an owner who seems more interested in making/saving money than building a contender.

6. Suns: Some good pieces in Booker, Chriss, Bender and Len. The problem is owner Robert Sarver who said he would sit back and let the Colangelo's run the team. Then went from involved owner to meddlesome owner, prompting the Colangelo's to leave.

7. Mavs: Management, they've got. Memories, they've got. Prospects, they don't got. Cuban did a good job of keeping together the team that won the title in 2011. Unfortunately, you have to get old sometime and they did.

Thoughts?

Here are mine. These ranks are based on how likely I think each team is to be a contender at some point in the future without a massive overhaul.

1. TWolves: easy choice here with 3 really good young players + Dunn who has a lot of talent.

2. Lakers: I am not sure whether or not this group has a superstar, but if one emerges they will be in a good spot. Despite recent past failures in free agency, the Lakers are also more likely than anybody on this list to land a legit star that way.

3. Suns: Booker could end up being great. If a couple of the other young guys develop into stars, this group could be the next out of nowhere power a la Golden State.

4. Pelicans: I love Davis and I like Holliday, but the front office has proven to be incompetent. You simply do not surround a talent like Davis with ball dominant guards. I can't see Davis winning until he leaves NO.

5. Nuggets: they have some nice pieces, (especially Jokic) but this team has lacked direction ever since they traded Melo. I can't see this core ever being better than a 5 or 6 seed.

6. Mavericks: They have nothing, but Cuban has won before and will win again. Someday.

7. Kings: This is all about management. Boogie might get them to the playoffs, but this group is not going anywhere and Boogie will most likely walk away for nothing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Hornets: Similar to the T-Wolves, but with worse luck, more injuries, less depth and no leadership. But you have to like a core of the Brow, Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to build around.

Thoughts?
Hornets are in the West?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagesrter.jpg

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These aren't all rebuilding teams. If this was best teams right now, I'd have the Pelicans, Nuggets, and Kings at the top. But since this is probably about teams with the best future, the rankings would be different.
1. Wolves: I take their top 3 young players over any of the other teams and have a proven coach in Thibs.
2. Lakers:puke:: Good young players and have the attraction of fucking LA for free agents.
3. Suns: Another team with talented young players, Booker could be a future superstar.
4. Pelicans: It was close between them and the Nuggets, but the Pelicans have the best player in this group. Need a few more pieces around AD to really contend.
5. Nuggets: Jokic is fun to watch and I liked the Murray pick. I miss Michael Malone.
6. Kings: They have the better player between themselves and the Mavs, only reason they're not 7th. Trades need to be made whether it includes Cousins or not.
7. Mavs: Barnes has played much better than expected, but the overall roster is weak. Cuban will change that as soon as possible.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota's right to be at #1. That Towns Wiggins duo's going to be something special (If they're not already)

Reactions: DJ

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Minnesota Timberwolves: Easiest selection on the list. Towns, Wiggins, LaVine, Dunn. All their own picks, and plenty of cap space- especially once Petrovic is gone.

2. New Orleans Pelicans: They have the hardest thing in the NBA to get- An All NBA player/ Perennial All star who is only 23 years old- and he is signed to a huge deal. He is already a top 10 player in the NBA. With that piece the table is set. This team has cap flexibility and all their picks. Jrue Holiday is only 26 and Hield looks like he will at the very least be a long term above average NBA starter.

3. Phoenix Suns: Best young player is Booker- i think has Klay 2.0 (with not quite the shooting or D, but with a better floor game) written all over him. Len/Chriss/Bender makes for an exciting young front court

They have 2 very lightly protected 1st rounders incoming from Miami in the future. Their only long term high dollar value contract is Chandler- and he could prob be moved if needed since he is actually playing a lot better than i thought he would.

4. LA Lakers: Have a triumverate of 3 very good young players in Randle, Russell and Ingram- Each one has potential to become an All Star. Nance Jr. and Clarkson give depth. Walton is a great guy to run the rebuild.

Are hurt by the fact they have limited cap room and owe future first rounders to Orlando and Philadelphia

5. Denver Nuggets: Jokic and Nurkic look to be very good young front court players. Murry and Mudiay have the ability to put together a very good backcourt. Have wide open books after this year- and have an extra first round pick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Minnesota Timberwolves: Easiest selection on the list. Towns, Wiggins, LaVine, Dunn. All their own picks, and plenty of cap space- especially once Petrovic is gone.

2. New Orleans Pelicans: They have the hardest thing in the NBA to get- An All NBA player/ Perennial All star who is only 23 years old- and he is signed to a huge deal. He is already a top 10 player in the NBA. With that piece the table is set. This team has cap flexibility and all their picks. Jrue Holiday is only 26 and Hield looks like he will at the very least be a long term above average NBA starter.

3. Phoenix Suns: Best young player is Booker- i think has Klay 2.0 (with not quite the shooting or D, but with a better floor game) written all over him. Len/Chriss/Bender makes for an exciting young front court

They have 2 very lightly protected 1st rounders incoming from Miami in the future. Their only long term high dollar value contract is Chandler- and he could prob be moved if needed since he is actually playing a lot better than i thought he would.

4. LA Lakers: Have a triumverate of 3 very good young players in Randle, Russell and Ingram- Each one has potential to become an All Star. Nance Jr. and Clarkson give depth. Walton is a great guy to run the rebuild.

Are hurt by the fact they have limited cap room and owe future first rounders to Orlando and Philadelphia

5. Denver Nuggets: Jokic and Nurkic look to be very good young front court players. Murry and Mudiay have the ability to put together a very good backcourt. Have wide open books after this year- and have an extra first round pick.

I know you hold some sort of pathetic grudge against them, but ranking the Lakers 4th is just moronic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd switch the Lakers and Suns. At least with the Lakers, there's a clear direction and plan. Not sure what the Suns are doing.

I'd almost put the Lakers ahead of the Pelicans, but I give the Pelicans the edge because they have their centerpiece established and he's a damn good one.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd switch the Lakers and Suns. At least with the Lakers, there's a clear direction and plan. Not sure what the Suns are doing.

I'd almost put the Lakers ahead of the Pelicans, but I give the Pelicans the edge because they have their centerpiece established and he's a damn good one.
I think its close between the Suns and Lakers but i put the Suns in front for a couple reasons-

first- they have two INCOMING first round picks...the Lakers have two OUTGOING first round picks. Even if they are not kept and used and used as trade bait- a difference of 4 first round picks is significant.

second- the Suns have pretty much completely open books beside Chandler. They have tons and tons of cap room and flexibility- something the Lakers decided to forgo when they resigned Clarkson and signed Deng and Mozgov.

third- if i had to pick one player off of both teams- the first guy i pick is Booker.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its close between the Suns and Lakers but i put the Suns in front for a couple reasons-

first- they have two INCOMING first round picks...the Lakers have two OUTGOING first round picks. Even if they are not kept and used and used as trade bait- a difference of 4 first round picks is significant.

second- the Suns have pretty much completely open books beside Chandler. They have tons and tons of cap room and flexibility- something the Lakers decided to forgo when they resigned Clarkson and signed Deng and Mozgov.

third- if i had to pick one player off of both teams- the first guy i pick is Booker.

Yeah, that 4 pick difference is significant. Of course, the Suns have to actually get the right players which has been a bit of challenge for them.

Having cap space is nice, but you have to actually do something with it. Can't remember the last time the Suns lured a top FA (Barkley?).

I'd take Ingram over Booker. Booker is more proven at this point, but I think Ingram has more upside.

Agree though, there are strong arguments for each team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that 4 pick difference is significant. Of course, the Suns have to actually get the right players which has been a bit of challenge for them.

Having cap space is nice, but you have to actually do something with it. Can't remember the last time the Suns lured a top FA (Barkley?).

I'd take Ingram over Booker. Booker is more proven at this point, but I think Ingram has more upside.

Agree though, there are strong arguments for each team.

Lakers have a more talented roster. End of. Even if they mildly suck at the moment. But stick a top 20 player on their roster and they become their 'leader' or first option and they make the playoffs with ease.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers have a more talented roster. End of. Even if they mildly suck at the moment. But stick a top 20 player on their roster and they become their 'leader' or first option and they make the playoffs with ease.

Agree. But Wiggy is correct regarding the picks and Booker is a better player right now.

If the Lakers were to land a top FA, I think they would definitely be in the playoff hunt because they would have that guy who can cover a lot of the mistakes they make because of their inexperience.

A top FA would make the Suns a playoff team too, but not as solid as the Lakers would be because the Lakers are a bit more talented overall and also have a clear direction that the Suns don't appear to have.

The problem for the Lakers is that they have some work to do to create the cap space to get a top FA, while the Suns already have the space.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Timberwolves believe it or not are only the 10th youngest team in the league. The Thunder by contrast are the 5th youngest team in the Nba.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how my rankings go:

1) Timberwolves - Easy choice. No need for explanation.

2) Lakers - Nice young core of players. I have them ranked slightly ahead of the Suns because I think Ingram is the x-factor here. He's struggled this year, but once his body starts to fill out he can really establish himself. His skill set is there and I think he still has a very high ceiling.

3) Suns - Love Booker, Len and Warren. They have movable pieces in Bledsoe and Knight and two rooks in Bender and Chriss who we don't know enough about yet. There's flexibility with this roster in addition to talent.

4) Nuggets - I know there are no stars here, but Jokic is close. The guy is only 21 and he's quickly becoming one of the best centers in the game. His skill set is off the charts. They have cap room and they also have lots of easily movable pieces for a quick turnaround and rebuild. Guys like Gallo, Faried, Chandler and Barton all have really cap friend contracts in today's NBA. You'd still have Murray, Mudiay, Jokic, Harris and Nurkic.

5) Pelicans - They have a bonafide arguably top 5 talent player in the NBA in AD. The problem is that they're cap strung. Their next two best players Jrue and Tyreke are free agents this upcoming offseason. Add to that they're paying Asik 10M, Soloman Hill 11M and E'twaun Moore 8M a year for the next 4 seasons and that's going to be hard to move. Not completely sold on Buddy Hield either. It's really too bad because the Pelicans locked up Anthony Davis at the perfect time with his contract. He's going to be making the same as Harrison Barnes for the next 4 years. Think about that.

6) Kings - It's not that I have them below the Pelicans, but more so I have them right above the Mavs as the worst. Look I love Cousins and think he's probably the best center of the game, but he's in line to get that veteran's designation contract. After he has that, he basically can hold the organization hostage. Who's going to check him? If they do, what will his reaction be? Will he demand a trade after he signs? There's just no knowing what's going to go on with him. I don't trust him right now to build an organization around, despite his talent.

7) Mavs - It's all about talent and assets here. They don't have much in the cupboard. Barnes has played well and considering the contracts handed out in the off-season, he's pretty much living up to his. After that Dirk probably retires if not this year, then for sure the next. Even then he's not the old dirk, he's just old...dirk. Wes Matthews is a very servicable 2-guard but after that they have next to nothing.

JkShaz821

Associate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5) Pelicans - They have a bonafide arguably top 5 talent player in the NBA in AD. The problem is that they're cap strung. Their next two best players Jrue and Tyreke are free agents this upcoming offseason. Add to that they're paying Asik 10M, Soloman Hill 11M and E'twaun Moore 8M a year for the next 4 seasons and that's going to be hard to move. Not completely sold on Buddy Hield either. It's really too bad because the Pelicans locked up Anthony Davis at the perfect time with his contract. He's going to be making the same as Harrison Barnes for the next 4 years. Think about that.

+1 on that!

Love those players but they are in bad straights financially in my view. Holiday and Evens are up for renewal at the end of the season and they already have a lot tied up. Do they make it worse to keep those players? Tough position to find yourself in. Don't know that I'd say that drops them to five but definitely not in top 3 for me.