• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking Redskins Off The Field Problems

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins have a plethora of issues that doesnt take place on the field. This is a good opportunity to rank them. #1 will not and should not be different but it will be fun to debate the others.

1) Ownership and his left hand man Snyder/Allen

2) Location - only team in nfl who stays in hotels for home games. Over priced, horrible location, not anywhere near HQ or vice versa
3) Local and National Media
4) Strength and Conditioning Staff
5) Training Staff
6) Locker room culture
7) Scouting department
8) The fans
9) Grounds Crew
10) PR team

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins have a plethora of issues that doesnt take place on the field. This is a good opportunity to rank them. #1 will not and should not be different but it will be fun to debate the others.

1) Ownership and his left hand man Snyder/Allen

2) Location - only team in nfl who stays in hotels for home games. Over priced, horrible location, not anywhere near HQ or vice versa
3) Local and National Media
4) Strength and Conditioning Staff
5) Training Staff
6) Locker room culture
7) Scouting department
8) The fans
9) Grounds Crew
10) PR team

My replies:

2) That will be addressed when the team relocates in the relatively near future & they likely play in VA
3) Meh - this is a problem in every city
4) Easily correctable & likely will be addressed given injuries this season
5) Same reply as # 4
6) Don't see this as an issue. Overall - in spite of some comments - I think it is good & more wins will make it better
7) Not sure if this is an issue since we were told that they have basically had the same scouts for a while. IMO - if they keep retaining picks they will be fine in this area
8) Overall - I give major props to Redskins fans since we have endured more than most NFL fans. Winning will again cure a lot in this area. Sure there are some naysayers & stupid fans, but that is a given in this era
9) The field for FedEx definitely needs to be addressed - not sure how Snyder will handle this
10) Not really sure the Redskins care that much - they are one of the least vocal teams in the NFL in terms of their owner & FO. Personally I don't care about this one - just win!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my top 3.

1. Culture. Winning is contagious. So is losing. This franchise has had a losing culture for close to 20 years. It starts at the top with mismanagement, backstabbing and incompetence. Until this franchise that is led by someone that will not accept losing as a possibility, we will continue to flounder no matter who plays here or what the other issues are. Because, in reality, the other issues are primarily just a symptom of this issue.

2. Mis aligned priorities. Related to Issue #1. This franchise puts as much importance on making money and winning off the field as winning on the field. Other franchises that are consistent playoff contenders never have the issue. You win on the field and these other issues take care of themselves.

3. Lack of the best personnel. From Scouts, to GMs, to Coaches to Training staff this franchise rarely gets the cream of the crop. Why? Issue #1 and Issue #2. The best don't work for an owner that treats employees like shit. This is the place where coaches and FO execs come to watch their careers die. Consequently we are left hiring the cast offs and failures from others. This ultimately is reflected in the product on the field.

Somewhere way down the line is the antiquated training facility, a terrible home venue and terrible field, conditioning staff, etc. But they are nits compared to these 3 issues.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins have been bad for so long and feel very much like a hopeless team. With that said it rubs me the wrong way when season ticket holders sell their tickets to opposing fans.

Its an embarrassment. Games parking etc cost a fortune and I get they are trying to make money back and all that but aside from the Florida teams and LA teams Skins have the most apathy.

Look at the Bills and Browns. They have been terrible for a long time and home games are still.... home games.

Wine and cheese fans

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins have been bad for so long and feel very much like a hopeless team. With that said it rubs me the wrong way when season ticket holders sell their tickets to opposing fans.

Its an embarrassment. Games parking etc cost a fortune and I get they are trying to make money back and all that but aside from the Florida teams and LA teams Skins have the most apathy.

Look at the Bills and Browns. They have been terrible for a long time and home games are still.... home games.

Wine and cheese fans

The practice of selling tickets to fans of other teams happens at a lot of other stadiums & I am not sure if I blame folks in many cases. In some instances selling tickets for one game could cover the cost of the rest of the season or at least a large %. Given the huge ticket prices can you really blame some folks? You also can't just assume that you can sell those tickets for a similar price to your friends or even a fellow Redskins fan.

I live a few hours from Nashville & trust me their fans are not very diehard & this type of practice happens all of the time there.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - winning would take care of a lot of the trend of selling tickets to non-fans. You can't expect fans to keep paying top $$ for tickets, concessions, parking, etc while watching a subpar product & basically being treated like shit the whole time.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - winning would take care of a lot of the trend of selling tickets to non-fans. You can't expect fans to keep paying top $$ for tickets, concessions, parking, etc while watching a subpar product & basically being treated like shit the whole time.

Before Snyder bought the team, the list to purchase Season tickets was 5-7 years.. and that was nose bleed section. You basically had to wait for some one to move out of the area or die to get good season tickets.

Now Snyder sends out his yearly "Hey I see you are a Redskins fan.. wanna buy some tickets?" email.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Mis aligned priorities. Related to Issue #1. This franchise puts as much importance on making money and winning off the field as winning on the field. Other franchises that are consistent playoff contenders never have the issue. You win on the field and these other issues take care of themselves.

I think that this one may be coming to a critical pt. I think that many, many fans are now tired of the winning off the field nonsense & trying to make the sexy splash in terms of draft picks and FA signings. To their credit the Skins don't appear to be putting as much effort in this area lately. They are also now working w/ a shrinking stadium & less fans.

Combine this w/ some fans being turned off by the NFL & younger fans being distracted by other interests I believe that this team realizes that winning is the only true, long term cure for building & retaining a fan base. As such the next few years are critical to this franchise IMO.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up outside NYC. Ive been to Giants stadium 15-20x

I live in Philadelphia. Ive been to the Linc 10-15x

Mostly when Giants play the Skins, Eagles play the skins etc.

Ive been to FedEx 5x.

FedEx is not a home field. Its wine and cheese fans. Its not the blue collar die hards of NY and Phil. I think it has to do with location, price of game, and fan apathy.

I remember giving the 16 year old security guard $20 to get into club level. People werent even watching the game in there. I think there is something to be said about the fans...

Philadelphia is insane right now.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up outside NYC. Ive been to Giants stadium 15-20x

I live in Philadelphia. Ive been to the Linc 10-15x

Mostly when Giants play the Skins, Eagles play the skins etc.

Ive been to FedEx 5x.

FedEx is not a home field. Its wine and cheese fans. Its not the blue collar die hards of NY and Phil. I think it has to do with location, price of game, and fan apathy.

I remember giving the 16 year old security guard $20 to get into club level. People werent even watching the game in there. I think there is something to be said about the fans...

Philadelphia is insane right now.

Lots of differences there. For starters look at the Redskins record over the past 20 years. It has been outright terrible. During that same time the Eagles have had predominately winnings seasons, deep playoff runs & been to 2 SBs. The Giants have had some tough luck lately but during that same period they have had more winning seasons & won 2 SBs.

You also have a lot of transplants which is not the case in Philly & although it is to some degree in NY there are still way more locals who can fill the seats. Throw in the Snyder factor, a terrible venue in FedEx & the fans being treated like dirt & it is no wonder that this place has a hard time luring true fans. The type of fans that you describe may be there for other reasons (as well as the fans of visiting teams).

I think that you nailed it with your last sentence. If the Redskins become a consistently winning team (not just once every 3-4 yrs) I can almost guarantee that the fans will come & you will see a lot less fans for visiting teams. Will that occur anytime soon? Who the hell knows.

I truly believe that there are tons of local Redskins fans - blue & white collar - who would go to lots of games but not with the crap they have put on the field in the recent past in that sorry venue for very high prices. We will see.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lack of direction , no real plan and when a plan is implemented it is never followed through

lack of stability at HC and qb past 20 plus years are the proof

why dont we develop and pay of draft picks ? KC will be the latest of a guy we drafted , developed and now he will play his prime years in another uniform . breeladn will be on perhaps long

insistence on over paying for FA's . most dont pan out (70%) and are looking for a pay day

not valuing draft picks , all too often they overpay in trades and get little in value (rg3 trade the latest example )

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes Snyder and Allen are the problem it all starts at the top.

I for one cant stand the local and national media coverage of the skins. Unless its Chad Dukes its a no thank you.

Tandler isnt bad.

Chris Russel hates the Redskins and couldnt give an unbias take if his life depended on it. WAPO has a slanted take because IMO of political leanings.... etc etc.

When Dianna Rousini and Brit Mchenry were covering the skins was at an all time low IMO. Its gotten a little better since.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes Snyder and Allen are the problem it all starts at the top.

I for one cant stand the local and national media coverage of the skins. Unless its Chad Dukes its a no thank you.

Tandler isnt bad.

Chris Russel hates the Redskins and couldnt give an unbias take if his life depended on it. WAPO has a slanted take because IMO of political leanings.... etc etc.

When Dianna Rousini and Brit Mchenry were covering the skins was at an all time low IMO. Its gotten a little better since.

True but I also believe that this is a sign of media coverage in this era combined with the fact that the Skins have been pretty bad for the most part in the recent past. Today's media rags even on great teams like the Pats or Warriors. When you take an underperforming team like the Redskins & combine the whole Snyder factor as well as high profile fiascos like the RG3 situation, the SM firing & Cousins contract mess why would anyone expect anything different?

We live in a world where the media wants to tear folks down wherever possible. The only real solution for the Redskins is to get better or change owners (& we know the latter is not an option).