• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Play The Mariners In Seattle May 15-16

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 78 more days until the trade deadline. Then we will know more about the direction of the team and what we can expect going forward.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Inbox: Why wasn't Matt Bush promoted?

Why did the Rangers not call up Matt Bush instead of Brandon Mann?
-- Carl K., Dallas

Same situation with Willie Calhoun and his outfield defense. The Rangers have some things they want Bush to work on, and they are going to give him the time to do so. Remember, Bush came up two years ago with relatively little Minor League experience, and he did well on the force of his sheer talent. It is time now for some refinements, because the Rangers still expect Bush to be an impact late-inning reliever again.

What happens to the rotation when Martin Perez gets back? Are they going to go with a six-man rotation?
-- Charlie F., Fort Worth

Perez is going to be awhile. He may not even be back until the All-Star break. Perez, after suffering a broken radial bone in his right (non-throwing) elbow in the offseason, gave it everything he had to be ready by Opening Day. He came close, and now the right arm is bothering him again. Perez is determined to make sure his elbow is 100 percent before he gets back on the mound. After that, he will need at least three or four starts in the Minor Leagues before he is ready. The Rangers aren't in a position where they need to rush him back.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 120 games to go the Rangers would have to go 60-60 to finish with the record that I predicted for them at the beginning of the season. That possibility doesn't seem too likely at this point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is on pace to win 62 games. Ouch!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even that seems unlikely. But getting evaluations done and identifying our needs is the objectives now more than a win or two imo.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping we could be a 500 team but with SP minus 2, pen overworked and various injuries as well as bottom of lineup struggling as well as strikeout tendencies I don’t see that happening. Manager happy to just to let players develop at MLB level which is ok.

FYI still not figured out bench for next year and yes would be nice to move some expiring contracts to make room for some those needing roster spots

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 78 more days until the trade deadline. Then we will know more about the direction of the team and what we can expect going forward.
I think we know the direction of the team. But I know that is not what you meant. We have to be in a rebuilding mode. We have some decent young position players but we need to build up our pitching at the higher levels of the minors.

Even that seems unlikely. But getting evaluations done and identifying our needs is the objectives now more than a win or two imo.
Very true.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's time - past time actually - for the Rangers to have a frank, open/honest conversation with Mr. Beltre on his future, and how 'the team' is going to work from this day forward.

Meaning, we've all admired Adrian's desire to play everyday, and play through pain. But there comes a time, and it started at least as early as last season, that AB should have been told to sit, and he didn't get a vote about it. Consequently, he's now permanently damaged goods, and his return would be minimal IMO. Very minimal.

I want what's best for Beltre. But I want what's best for the Texas Rangers a lot more.

Not to be crude, but he's not part of our future, and my guess is he knows it. So try to move him, and I'd let his agent get involved, see who's interested, and at what level. But right now we couldn't get a bag of Whataburgers for him, and until he gets healthy, at least semi-so, we're stuck. But the team can't allow Adrian to dictate when he returns, at least not anymore.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's time - past time actually - for the Rangers to have a frank, open/honest conversation with Mr. Beltre on his future, and how 'the team' is going to work from this day forward.

Meaning, we've all admired Adrian's desire to play everyday, and play through pain. But there comes a time, and it started at least as early as last season, that AB should have been told to sit, and he didn't get a vote about it. Consequently, he's now permanently damaged goods, and his return would be minimal IMO. Very minimal.

I want what's best for Beltre. But I want what's best for the Texas Rangers a lot more.

Not to be crude, but he's not part of our future, and my guess is he knows it. So try to move him, and I'd let his agent get involved, see who's interested, and at what level. But right now we couldn't get a bag of Whataburgers for him, and until he gets healthy, at least semi-so, we're stuck. But the team can't allow Adrian to dictate when he returns, at least not anymore.
Completely agree.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We waited at least a year too late to trade him. During the 2014 season we could have gotten a huge return for him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were on pace to win 93 games or so and we had Ryan Rua as our everyday 3B and he was hitting .220 which of our current prospects would you be willing to trade for Beltre if he was available on another team? Providing he heals from this current injury and was healthy for the 6 weeks leading up to the deadline. Who would you suggest JD trade to pick up a Beltre?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good write up on CF prospect Bubba Thompson.

My 1st look at Bubba Thompson, CF, Hickory

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manager happy to just to let players develop at MLB level which is ok.

Manager is one of several people making that call.

Not to take anything away from Beltre, but I have never once thought that we'd get any sort of return for him at the deadline this year, even if he had played every game at his usual level of performance. I think the injury reality with him was always there, and other teams surely know this. What I'm saying here is that he was "damaged" goods going into 2018, and what's happened so far this season hasn't really moved the needle on that, in my opinion.

As far as sitting him, I don't see that as being an option because when he's on the field, he's still the best option, compared to whatever else they could run out there (Exhibit A: Nunez). Part of me thinks the Rangers held out on the FA market this past year because they are going to make a serious run at Manny Machado this year and there's your 3B of the future.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manager is one of several people making that call.

Not to take anything away from Beltre, but I have never once thought that we'd get any sort of return for him at the deadline this year, even if he had played every game at his usual level of performance. I think the injury reality with him was always there, and other teams surely know this. What I'm saying here is that he was "damaged" goods going into 2018, and what's happened so far this season hasn't really moved the needle on that, in my opinion.

As far as sitting him, I don't see that as being an option because when he's on the field, he's still the best option, compared to whatever else they could run out there (Exhibit A: Nunez). Part of me thinks the Rangers held out on the FA market this past year because they are going to make a serious run at Manny Machado this year and there's your 3B of the future.

It could be argued that Machado is the best player in baseball.

Weird year yet not too unexpected seeing the pitchers signed and timing of new ballpark which may be a factor in Machado.

Could be a lot more disappointing. What if you were a Dodger fan

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me thinks the Rangers held out on the FA market this past year because they are going to make a serious run at Manny Machado this year and there's your 3B of the future.

Machado basically forced his way from 3rd to short this past season, and he's not signing with anyone to play 3rd. He wants to play SS period.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but I do think had he stayed healthy (healthier anyway) it might have made a slight difference. But to think anyone was going to give up a young AA pitcher or such, for a almost 40 year old 3rd baseman with an injury history was pie-in-the-sky.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Machado basically forced his way from 3rd to short this past season, and he's not signing with anyone to play 3rd. He wants to play SS period.
Suppose Elvis does not come back as strong as he was. Move him to 2b, Machado ss, Profar 3rd and Guzmon at 1st. Not a bad if. That is assuming we trade Beltre.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I do think had he stayed healthy (healthier anyway) it might have made a slight difference. But to think anyone was going to give up a young AA pitcher or such, for a almost 40 year old 3rd baseman with an injury history was pie-in-the-sky.
Actually, if the Rangers needed a Beltre they would probably trade just about any AA pitcher they currently have other than Brett Martin for him and I am not that sure about Martin. Being a AA pitcher doesn't necessarily make you anything special, especially in our organization right now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right.

I will believe the Rangers will spend big when they do it again.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose Elvis does not come back as strong as he was. Move him to 2b, Machado ss, Profar 3rd and Guzmon at 1st. Not a bad if. That is assuming we trade Beltre.

Until this team can right it's pitching staff, as in, get one, I can't imagine this is a destination which a player of Machado's talent would even consider coming to. And I hate saying this, but we're years away from having a contending team, and a guy like him is going to get some phenomenal offers from teams far better than our Rangers.