• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers host the Astros 6/2-6/4, Heaven help us

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-1. Were gaining. BS

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to rave about. Nick did a good job in relief tho.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it would have made a lick of difference in this game, but from what I could tell Odor swung at Ball 4 three times in the 9th.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it would have made a lick of difference in this game, but from what I could tell Odor swung at Ball 4 three times in the 9th.

The guy is allergic to walks. Which is an extremely annoying trait to have at the major league level. Pitchers will just throw you shitty pitches while you have 3 balls in the count and let you strike yourself out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pudge and Bacsick (sp) selling tickets and blowing smoke

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that miserable crap displayed today and nobody is expressing their concerns. Surprising. I think we will be sellers unless something beyond a miracle occurs. Now what we have to sell other than Darvish is not clear.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly clear on who the heck we'd keep. Not Perez. We've given him too many chances.
Keep Gallo, Maz, Elvis (unless we can get a boat load for him) and yes even Roogie. Deal or DFA the rest.

Take a flamethrower to the roster.

Would like for Beltre to stay and make history with us but with this lineup opposing pitchers will most likely not give him much and won't mind walking him to get to the next out.

Beltre should be with a contender last year or so of career to get another shot at a ring.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep Gallo, Maz, Elvis (unless we can get a boat load for him) and yes even Roogie. Deal or DFA the rest.

Would like for Beltre to stay and make history with us but with this lineup opposing pitchers will most likely not give him much and won't mind walking him to get to the next out.

Beltre should be with a contender last year or so of career to get another shot at a ring.
I don't see getting much for the rest especially if we keep Darvish. Lccroy and Hamels have lost value and won't rake much.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that miserable crap displayed today and nobody is expressing their concerns. Surprising. I think we will be sellers unless something beyond a miracle occurs. Now what we have to sell other than Darvish is not clear.

People aren't saying much because we already know what this team is and what they're up against. The inevitability of the team being sellers has been accepted and we know Lucroy is the starting point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez, maybe cashner, and a few others shortly right behind.

Choo has a terrible contract he is staying. Elvis is the only one that is performing at contract value, he is also staying. Trading Darvish should be considered because the Astros are young and not going anywhere, unless we receive re-assurances from the Darvish camp about wanting to re-up. Darvish should be a trade destination for any contender except Houston. I don't think we'd ever be able to live it down if Houston acquired Darvish, won the World Series, extended him, and used Darvish to entice ohtani to join them. What a nightmare scenario.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD promised we are all in when he extended Beltre's contract those two years. Sure there is an element of frustration or regret when this year happened. We are far, far from being in contention. Beltre did not want any part of rebuilding. Shame.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People aren't saying much because we already know what this team is and what they're up against. The inevitability of the team being sellers has been accepted and we know Lucroy is the starting point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez, maybe cashner, and a few others shortly right behind.

Choo has a terrible contract he is staying. Elvis is the only one that is performing at contract value, he is also staying. Trading Darvish should be considered because the Astros are young and not going anywhere, unless we receive re-assurances from the Darvish camp about wanting to re-up. Darvish should be a trade destination for any contender except Houston. I don't think we'd ever be able to live it down if Houston acquired Darvish, won the World Series, extended him, and used Darvish to entice ohtani to join them. What a nightmare scenario.
My concern is not getting any value for Cashner and others like Rua. We won't sell prospects so we have little to divy besides Darvish. If I'm missing something speak up.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern is not getting any value for Cashner and others like Rua. We won't sell prospects so we have little to divy besides Darvish. If I'm missing something speak up.

Bush could bring something back.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I've been leading up to. Thanks DG
No problem. I was with you on this. Hard to see how JD rights this ship regardless how this season ends.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to consider the young talent on the Astros won't stay there as a team for long. The Astros are not a big market team and will not be able to sign all that talent to long term deals. They still have a few years to go but having all those youngsters coming out of the stable roughly at the same time will become a problem for them.

For example, the Astros have two $6.5 options on Altuve through 2019. He can become a FA as early as the end of 2018.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is a 1B-2A starter, if you can get him to agree to something reasonable and get Otani then you do it but if it takes 25-30 AAV, to retain him, you have to trade him. This team has way to many holes and it starts w pitching. I don't care how well the SP has performed thus far, they are no where near a SP staff that would get you anywhere in the postseason. The offense is just as bad. This is just a bad baseball team. Gonna be a total rebuild

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is a 1B-2A starter, if you can get him to agree to something reasonable and get Otani then you do it but if it takes 25-30 AAV, to retain him, you have to trade him. This team has way to many holes and it starts w pitching. I don't care how well the SP has performed thus far, they are no where near a SP staff that would get you anywhere in the postseason. The offense is just as bad. This is just a bad baseball team. Gonna be a total rebuild

If JD is the magician we all think he is, then he can turn this bad season into a quick rebuild. What we need is for the Yankees and RedSox to get and stay hot, where one of them needs to make a move to put them up over the other. Need a couple of good WC races. We also need to lose about 5 more straight games to get us out of "we are only 4 out of the WC spot" mentality.

Does anyone have an issue with starting a thread on this? I know that is the ultimate giveup, but it's a reality we need to start writing about.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with differing opinions. I am just asking you questions that arise naturally to me when hearing your opinion.

Michael Young was a rookie when he did that so I am comparing apples to apples. Young was 24 at the time and so is Profar now.

You want to say being a proven veteran is different from a young inexperienced player now when it suits your argument. That is what I have been saying all along. You cannot treat young players like veterans. Now you agree with that, but that is what I have been using as a basis all along. You are trying to have it both ways.
No Sir....Mike Young was on a team going no where and looking for players to build a team with. Mike played a pretty good second base and there wasn't much in the system to move him out at that time. He came around and certainly earned his way. Those days the Rangers were the Marlins of today, players got more of a look cause the team didn't see themselves as contenders is what I'm saying. Dave Hostedler (misspelled) came on the scene and lit the world on fire with what...12 HR's in a month or so. He got an extended look cause he took advantage of the situation but petered out... eventually was off the team and later out of baseball. Local hero Chris Davis was given an extended look cause he produced early, and later moved cause he wasn't showing the consistency here in Texas. Those situations were not the same as the guys vying for left field on a team that considered themselves contenders going in to the season. Thus the remark, apples to oranges.

I think when a team see's themselves as contenders, set at most positions as our Rangers saw themselves this season, that's not the same situation as the Rangers of yesteryear.

I respect your opinions, just don't think Banny is to blame for the slow start of Rua and DeShields. I think the players have the responsibility to earn their playing time when given the opportunity. Odor should be benched and would likely if not for the contract...which is giving him much more time to get his act together. To me....that's not the same as the 3 guys starting the season for a team that saw themselves a WS contenders.