• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot Gus Bradley too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2017 free agent period is almost upon us! :yes:

Was reading some of the thoughts in the rookie thread... made me want to search the internet to see if there was a list of combine busts.... you know, guys that did well at the combine but hadn't done well in the NFL...

Here were 3 from one list:

No. 2: Matt Jones

Matt Jones broke the SEC rushing record for quarterbacks with 2,545 yards at Arkansas, but because of shoulder problems NFL scouts tabbed him as a receiver.

Jones showed he had receiver’s speed at the 2005 combine. The 6’6″, 242-pounder ran a 4.37 40-yard dash. No one at that height or weight has run that fast in the 40 before or since. His 129-inch broad jump was tied for seventh overall.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN said at the time that Jones was “the best player in the draft.” Jones was projected as a fourth-round pick early in the draft process but skyrocketed to the first round, where he was chosen 21st by the Jaguars.

Jones caught 166 passes in four years, including a career-high 65 in 2008. But he was arrested that year for cocaine possession and booked again for testing positive for alcohol and therefore violating his probation a year later. Jones was suspended for the final three games of the 2008 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and cut in March. He never played in the NFL again.

One of the reasons Aaron Rodgers’ wait in the green room was so infamously long is that Jones was chosen three picks ahead of him. The Jaguars also had Roddy White, Heath Miller and Logan Mankins available to them when they picked Jones.

Even though Jones had his moments, he’s second on this list because of just how gaudy his combine numbers were and the degree to which he had the Jaguars fooled.
No. 4: Chris Henry

It took Chris Henry four years to rush for 892 yards at Arizona, and he averaged just 3.3 yards per carry in those four years. In 2006, his senior season, Henry ran for 581 yards, 11th in the Pac-10. His 3.5 yards per carry were 19th in the conference.

Despite those unimpressive numbers, Henry was at the head of the running back class in the 40-yard dash at the 2007 combine, timing 4.40. He matched Adrian Peterson’s time, but at 230 weighed 13 more pounds.

Henry also tied for third among running backs with 26 reps in the bench press and tied with Peterson atop the position group with a 127-inch broad jump.

The similarities with Peterson ended there.

The Titans chose Henry in the second round with the 50th pick, but he was suspended for four games in his rookie season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He appeared in only 11 games in a four-year career that ended with a season in Seattle. He carried the ball 32 times in the NFL for 122 yards.
No. 8: Darrius Heyward-Bey

The most impressive line on Darrius Heyward-Bey’s resumé at Maryland was third in the ACC with 694 receiving yards in 2006, his freshman season. He caught 42 passes for 609 yards and 14.5 yards per catch in 2008, the lowest in his three years at Maryland in all three categories.

The Terrapin was anything but turtle-like at the combine, however, leading all prospects with a 4.25 40-yard dash. He remains tied for fifth among all 40-yard dash participants since 1999.

Heyward-Bey’s combine performance shot him up the draft board and the speed-enchanted Raiders took him with the seventh overall pick in the 2009 draft. His career got off to a slow start and so far it has peaked with his 64 catches for 975 yards and four touchdowns in 2011.

Heyward-Bey’s career hasn’t justified the No. 7 pick. He has 193 career receptions. Michael Crabtree, chosen three picks later, has 432. But the 28-year-old caught 39 passes in 2015 and filled his role nicely as the Steelers’ fourth receiver. He’s also kept his career going by learning to play special teams. That sets him apart from other flashes in the combine pan and keeps him from being ranked too high on this dubious list.​

Rookies are evil. :heh:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than 24 hours until FA!!!!!

I think the Rotoworld news feeds are getting ridiculous.
Too many blurbs on which teams are NOT interested in a player.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I woke up in a bad mood but I feel that I need to rant a little about Tony Romo.

Rumors have swirled that he only wants to go to a team with playoff possibilities.
Isn't that EVERY player's goal?
I don't know that any player wants to spend their career losing.
But I digress.

I guess the crux of my rant is what makes Romo so privileged?
This idea of "entitlement."

It's not like he played for the Browns for his 13 seasons.
He was the starting QB for "America's Team" which suggests that this was the franchise that players wanted to play for.
Maybe there were some lean years, but Romo and the Boys made the playoffs 4 times.
That's more than a lot of QB.

He had his shot.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, how'd you like to be brock osweiler right now? You get traded to 1 of the worst teams and rumor is they are trying to unload him. Wow.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I woke up in a bad mood but I feel that I need to rant a little about Tony Romo.

Rumors have swirled that he only wants to go to a team with playoff possibilities.
But I digress.

He was the starting QB for "America's Team" which suggests that this was the franchise that players wanted to play for.
Maybe there were some lean years, but Romo and the Boys made the playoffs 4 times.

He had his shot.

I think it's that it might not even be worth it for him to play if he can't go to a good team. On top of that he's good enough to make a decent team a contender. Why shouldn't he be saying he'll only play for a handful of teams?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I digress.

He had his shot.
I think it's more of, I'd rather retire than just play to collect a check. Without a realistic shot at a ring, he'd rather not go through the BS. And yes he's had his shot, but nothing wrong with wanting another.

Btw, if he truly wants a ring in 2017, his best bet would be to rip up his contract and stay right where he's at for the veteran minimum

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are going to start seeing a lot more of this, especially with QBs in their mid-30s, talent window closing, job prospects coming to an end, it's just inevitable.

As that window closes, anyone that thinks they still have it will want a chance to join a hungry team that looks to be 1 QB away from winning.

I bet a handful of teams saw how shitty the Raiders were once they lost Carr, and were thinking, 'boy, if we could just get a good QB, we could have a shot at the playoffs.'

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally decided to actually start ranking my players today. Every season it seems to get more convoluted.
Or maybe I'm just getting too old?

:noidea: :sigh: :smash:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally decided to actually start ranking my players today. Every season it seems to get more convoluted.
Or maybe I'm just getting too old?

:noidea: :sigh: :smash:

Fantasy Football stays the same. You get more convoluted.

It's so simple. Just pick the good players.:D

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally heard this while in the car about 30 minutes ago. Got home and had to find it. Courtesy of ESPN.com Inside the mind of Bill "Hoodie" Belichick on drafting/acquiring players. No joke.

“For me, tough, smart, dependable. That’s where I would start. Tough -- mentally and physically. Smart -- good decisions, good football understanding, high football IQ. Dependable -- [in] critical situations, you can count on those players to perform under pressure. You can count on those players to execute what you want to execute as a team. The tougher the game, the more critical the game, the more important the situation, the more I want the tough, smart, dependable player in the game, in the eye of the storm, making a decision that needs to be made for us to win.

"We all want great players; we all want as many as we can get. But in the end, there’s a cap on that -- I don’t care where you are or what program you’re in. We all have some good ones, maybe a few more than others here or there. But in the end, that’s the way most teams are comprised. It’s the bulk of the rest of the players that you need to decide based on your scheme, the style of play you want to be.

From my perspective, it was rather telling that he said nothing about speed or talent.

Last edited:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was bored tonight so I decided to check out ADP... Average Draft Position (ADP) - Fantasy Football 2017

Was kind of surprised the first defense off the board in the 8th round was
Kansas City
  • Also see that Tony Romo is a 13th round pick. And last year's QB darling Blake Bortles is being drafted right after Romo.
  • Michael Thomas is the 6th WR taken. Before Dez.
  • Garroppolo is being drafted before Tannehill and Flacco.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Michael Thomas is the 6th WR taken. Before Dez.
  • Garroppolo is being drafted before Tannehill and Flacco.

I'd think both of these have to be getting a small dynasty bump, Jimmy G in particular.
Just figured more drafts taking place at this stage are more dynasty type formats, which would prize Thomas over Dez and especially Garroppolo over actual NFL starters for this season.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ust figured more drafts taking place at this stage are more dynasty type formats
Based on this, it looks like it is a combination of multiple type of drafts:

ADP: Average Draft Position (ADP) is a list of NFL players ordered by their average position taken in fantasy football drafts. The average value of their draft position is taken over a range of many drafts.
It says the data is based on over 4700 drafts in the last month.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this, it looks like it is a combination of multiple type of drafts:

ADP: Average Draft Position (ADP) is a list of NFL players ordered by their average position taken in fantasy football drafts. The average value of their draft position is taken over a range of many drafts.
It says the data is based on over 4700 drafts in the last month.

of those 4700 drafts in the last month, I'd think a higher percentage of them were keeper/dynasty format this time of year than say, in the summer when redrafts are in full swing. So that would skew the ADP in favor of younger studs vs older studs, or an heir apparent QB vs a middling talent that is currently a starter.

I think we are on the same page, just wanted to clarify my thought process

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskin and Giants RB situation muddied with Perine and Gallman