• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams game

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish they wouldn't play so close to the vest just because they have a small lead. Be more aggressive sometimes.
I hear ya. Speaking of that, wondering what you and others thought/think about the 4th & 2 at the end of the game (probably already discussed in the other thread, but I haven't read through it all). A first down there and the game is over, but if you fail to convert then all they needed was a FG to tie. But they also had no TOs, and they were deep in their own end. I was 80% kick the FG and 20% go for it I think.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Speaking of that, wondering what you and others thought/think about the 4th & 2 at the end of the game (probably already discussed in the other thread, but I haven't read through it all). A first down there and the game is over, but if you fail to convert then all they needed was a FG to tie. But they also had no TOs, and they were deep in their own end. I was 80% kick the FG and 20% go for it I think.

It's a tough call. Personally I think going for it was the better call. Walsh is far from an automatic kicker. It worked out but barely.

But it is more than the late game stuff. It's the general mindset. Slow tempo. Short passes. That 3 TE set where Russ threw to the crossing pattern by Locket seemed strange to me.

As I always say, though, I don't like MMQBing play calls. It's easy to do but we don't have the information they have.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were efficient on offense. Did enough to get by.

We have a defense like 2000 Ravens so games were we get a slow start can happen.

But the only thing that yours truly cares about is did we win or did we lose? Not how we played in general.

If we beat a team 17-10 when we could (and should) beat them 38-10. I don't because a win is a win.

I was also wondering what the fuck was that 3 TE pass???

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough call. Personally I think going for it was the better call. Walsh is far from an automatic kicker. It worked out but barely.

I know Walsh make some people nervous, but so far in 5 games he's missed 2 kicks -- 1 FG & 1 XP. Kickoffs are generally pretty deep, though the one he kicked OB yesterday drove me bananas. I don't have a problem with him at all. He's certainly not perfect and will undoubtedly miss more kicks at some point, but I think unless you have one of the top 2 or 3 kickers in the league then you're pretty much like everyone else at that position. It was a relief that he made that last kick yesterday though. All sorts of second guessing taken off the table by making it and having the D hold up at the end.

But it is more than the late game stuff. It's the general mindset. Slow tempo. Short passes. That 3 TE set where Russ threw to the crossing pattern by Locket seemed strange to me.

I think part of the challenge right now is RW doesn't have that partner in the backfield that represents what we had in the Lynch years. Maybe Carson was emerging as that guy, but now we probably won't know for another year. This team isn't able to control the game on the ground, and at least against teams like the Rams isn't able to protect well enough to be consistently successful as a 1 dimensional offense. I think most of the remaining opponents are going to be ones we can be very effective offensively w/o doing a lot on the ground, but when DLs are good enough to blow up our OL on 2/3 of the plays then we tend to turtle up a bit and employ a "not lose" strategy and let the D win the game. We really need the young O linemen to step up.

As I always say, though, I don't like MMQBing play calls. It's easy to do but we don't have the information they have.
Same here. We tend to only focus on the plays that don't work, and fans become really good playcallers when the coach's decisions don't pan out. It's a 100% reactionary waste of time in my opinion.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Walsh make some people nervous, but so far in 5 games he's missed 2 kicks -- 1 FG & 1 XP. Kickoffs are generally pretty deep, though the one he kicked OB yesterday drove me bananas. I don't have a problem with him at all. He's certainly not perfect and will undoubtedly miss more kicks at some point, but I think unless you have one of the top 2 or 3 kickers in the league then you're pretty much like everyone else at that position. It was a relief that he made that last kick yesterday though. All sorts of second guessing taken off the table by making it and having the D hold up at the end.

Yeah I wasn't trying to slag Walsh. He's been fine for us. But he's far from a sure thing and if he misses the kick, the Rams get the ball 7 yards further upfield.

I think part of the challenge right now is RW doesn't have that partner in the backfield that represents what we had in the Lynch years. Maybe Carson was emerging as that guy, but now we probably won't know for another year. This team isn't able to control the game on the ground, and at least against teams like the Rams isn't able to protect well enough to be consistently successful as a 1 dimensional offense. I think most of the remaining opponents are going to be ones we can be very effective offensively w/o doing a lot on the ground, but when DLs are good enough to blow up our OL on 2/3 of the plays then we tend to turtle up a bit and employ a "not lose" strategy and let the D win the game. We really need the young O linemen to step up.

Which is why I would like to see an up tempo offense put in place that gets Russ moving in critical situations.

Same here. We tend to only focus on the plays that don't work, and fans become really good playcallers when the coach's decisions don't pan out. It's a 100% reactionary waste of time in my opinion.

Yeah. Every play call is about results. I focus more on their general approach than the specific play calls.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I wanted them to go for it on 4th down at the end by using RW's legs and rolling out with a pass/run option but it worked out so I'm okay with the outcome.
It was just nice to get a road win and especially against a division rival.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were efficient on offense. Did enough to get by.

We have a defense like 2000 Ravens so games were we get a slow start can happen.

But the only thing that yours truly cares about is did we win or did we lose? Not how we played in general.

If we beat a team 17-10 when we could (and should) beat them 38-10. I don't because a win is a win.

I was also wondering what the fuck was that 3 TE pass???

The Seahawks have a good defense. It might be the best in football. But it is not comparable to the 2000 Ravens, or 2013 Seahawks for that matter.

Maybe when Avril comes back it might be there. It does seem like Frank Clark is turning into one of the best DEs in football. And Richardson is really starting to get into form.

But they give up too many big plays to be considered an elite defense right now.

I'm not wringing my hands about the performance yesterday. A win is a win as you say. We had some gut check games in 2013. Of our 13 wins that year at least 5 of them were games we could have easily have lost(Car, Rams, Tampa, Titans, Houston) so this isn't exactly unexplored ground for us.

But I do fear that PC is counting on our defense to simply do more than it can.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel are O has Wilson drop back and hang in the pocket too much. For me I'd like to see more roll out left/right and get him moving earlier in the game. I feel that's when the O starts to move the ball more.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I wanted them to go for it on 4th down at the end by using RW's legs and rolling out with a pass/run option but it worked out so I'm okay with the outcome.

There were several 3rd & shorts yesterday where I was hoping they would do that -- and that Russell would just take off and get the chains moving with his feet. I think we need to take better advantage of his ability out of the pocket.

It was just nice to get a road win and especially against a division rival.
It was a huge win. I don't think the season would have been over with a loss (it's unlikely we are going 6-0 in the division, but those chances bumped up a bit with a W yesterday), but taking this into the bye with a win is way better than the alternative.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have a good defense. It might be the best in football. But it is not comparable to the 2000 Ravens, or 2013 Seahawks for that matter.

Maybe when Avril comes back it might be there. It does seem like Frank Clark is turning into one of the best DEs in football. And Richardson is really starting to get into form.

But they give up too many big plays to be considered an elite defense right now.

I'm not wringing my hands about the performance yesterday. A win is a win as you say. We had some gut check games in 2013. Of our 13 wins that year at least 5 of them were games we could have easily have lost(Car, Rams, Tampa, Titans, Houston) so this isn't exactly unexplored ground for us.

But I do fear that PC is counting on our defense to simply do more than it can.

The winning theory could be because of my autism. I have the 2 way view.

Your right or Your wrong

You complete or you fail

You win or lose

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even back in the SB run in 2013, I didn't like comparing our defense to the 00 Ravens or the 85-86 Bears. We were great in a high scoring era but that stuff is better left to future historians to debate.
Right now, our defense is good, very good, in fact. But they have lost a couple steps since '13 and they need the offense to help keep them off the field a little more. They get wore down so hopefully, they can generate some ball control offense that results in scoring. The run game is sporadic so other options need to be looked at. And they need to be creative options, imo.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was one play where wilson sprinted left and threw to locket. they need to do this more often, wilson is very accurate throwing on the run going left.

also, though i hate the bubble screen, mckissic could be dangerous on that play.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The throw to Lockett out of the 3 TE set was just a poor pass by Russ. If he REMOTELY hits him so he doesn't have to twist around to catch that, Lockett can make the DB miss in his sleep. But by the time he tracked that down, caught it, got his body aligned to move down field, it was a relatively easy tackle for the DB to make.

As for Walsh and kicking the FG, really? If you can't have confidence in a kicker to hit a 30 yard FG, then you're fucked, plain and simple.

If we don't score there, the Rams tie it up, and we go to OT. On the road. With the way the d was playing, you kick the FG every time, after not making the 3rd down attempt. It's not even a question. AGAIN, it's not like we're asking Walsh to hit from 55.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't score there, the Rams tie it up, and we go to OT. On the road. With the way the d was playing, you kick the FG every time, after not making the 3rd down attempt. It's not even a question. AGAIN, it's not like we're asking Walsh to hit from 55.
Certainly not wrong to take the near sure thing 3 and go up by 6, but there was also a HUGE reward for converting that 4th & 2. And if you fail, you still have that same D to put out there to preserve a 3 point lead. They would have needed about 50 yards to get in FG range with no TOs and 1 min on the clock? That's not a bad spot. I know they ultimately did drive down to the red zone, but it was also a totally different score situation after the made FG.

I'm ok kicking it for sure, but I could also see going for it.