• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rafael Palmeiro gets a job playing baseball, at age 53

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DALLAS -- Rafael Palmeiro says he has agreed to play with his son for the independent Cleburne Railroaders at age 53.
Palmeiro told the Dallas Morning News in a text Tuesday that he is looking forward to joining the second-year American Association team and will be teammates with his 28-year-old son Patrick.

"Nobody gave me a chance to go to spring training, so I will just take this path," Palmeiro said in the text.

Palmeiro indicated during the winter his desire for the chance at an MLB comeback.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody gave him a chance, surprising for a lying, steroid using, 53 year old has been.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody gave him a chance, surprising for a lying, steroid using, 53 year old has been.
It sucks, to. One of the kids I played high school ball with lost his chance to play pro ball in a similar situation. Semi-pro team was about to give him a job, then Jose Canseco wanted to try playing again. Contract gone.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks, to. One of the kids I played high school ball with lost his chance to play pro ball in a similar situation. Semi-pro team was about to give him a job, then Jose Canseco wanted to try playing again. Contract gone.
worcester tornadoes? he stole a job here.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong ex-major leaguer.

It was actually Rickey Henderson who got the contract my friend was offered.
the city paid to install nets where 290 (elevated highway) runs at the stadium where the tornadoes played, because of fears of his home runs hitting cars.

he hit 1 hr and quit.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about this. I always like Palmiero as a kid. Still his actions as it relates to steroids really hurt him in a lot of eyes including mine.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame these guys still try to mock the indy leagues. It's really good baseball. If you live near an indy team, I recommend it.
This isn't what the indy leagues are about anymore.
These days, the affiliated leagues let the indy leagues vet their players for them. It's cheap and quite worthwhile. Scouts regularly check out the indy leagues. A lot of indy guys are finding this to be a way into affiliated. Palmeiro isn't doing a young guy any favors, though Cleburne probably doesn't give a shit for the moment.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get wanting to play and all but how in the world does this guy get another shot.. as @JohnU said it really is screwing over the players that have an actual shot at making a major league roster.. No team (not even the Marlins) would take Palmeiro now

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get wanting to play and all but how in the world does this guy get another shot.. as @JohnU said it really is screwing over the players that have an actual shot at making a major league roster.. No team (not even the Marlins) would take Palmeiro now
Currently the indy leagues are forming rosters. OD for most is next weekend, running 100 games. Most of these hopefuls will get a couple of ABs and the manager will have to make a decision. It's partly based on salary cap, only 4 veterans, so many LS-5 guys, 4 rookies ... there are rules on rosters.
When I see a guy getting cut the first day after going 0-for-1 and realizing he probably spent a couple hundred bucks traveling to the tryout ... it's tough knowing some of these guys might not get another shot at that dream, as slim as it ever was.

Cleburne is hoping Palmeiro will improve attendance? Seriously ... Canseco flopped his ass around for a couple of teams trying to do that and got laughed off the field. Pro baseball isn't a circus. Fans like the sizzle, for sure, and gimmicks are necessary, but you don't build a core fan base with this crap. The core fan base is that 1,700 people you have to have -- for host families and such. Season ticket holders who promote the team by word of mouth and attitude.

Palmiero couldn't give a fuck about that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks like a two-fer deal with some kind of gimmick attached.

Not only did Raffy sign, but his son Patrick also signed with the same team, same day. Patrick is a 3B and "left fielder" ... with original signing with the White Sox. He's 28, so there's no future for him either.

Cleburne is one of the franchises in the Amer. Association but they have a nice new ballpark in the D-FtW area.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully someone throws at him and then points their finger at him......

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully someone throws at him and then points their finger at him......
Not much of that happens in the indy leagues. Players are competitive but the pay's not enough to take somebody out. If anybody gets plunked, it's in the ass.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like you're describing Jose Bautista, who for some reason the Braves decided to stick at first base despite getting solid production from the position.

Now it's like we have two pitchers in the lineup.

We have a relief pitcher that has been more productive at the plate for us this season. No shit.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much of that happens in the indy leagues. Players are competitive but the pay's not enough to take somebody out. If anybody gets plunked, it's in the ass.
I know, was being sarcastic....

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you're describing Jose Bautista, who for some reason the Braves decided to stick at first base despite getting solid production from the position.

We have a relief pitcher that has been more productive at the plate for us this season. No shit.
Ryan Howard is probably looking for work.
Maybe this is the year of The Veteran.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant third base, obviously.