• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quin Snyder

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he be the favorite to replace K after he retires? And would he accept the position given the success he's had in the NBA thus far? If Duke wants to keep it in the "family" I feel like he's had the most success. Dawkins, Wojo, Collins, Amaker etc haven't been good enough yet IMO to warrant them getting a look.

Thoughts?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the guys that have been mentioned in this thread have done enough to warrant getting a look from one of the premier jobs in basketball.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if Coach K keeps coaching another 10 years or if this is his last, but until just recentIy Snyder wasn't even in the picture. The ones that get the most attention are who's in the media's eye and the flavor of the day kind of coach. And there are a bunch of what ifs here. What if Capel turns around Pitt? What if Hurley gets ASU to a FF? What if Collins or WOJO make a run with their programs? And I don't expect anyone to make a decision without K's input one way or the other. And it doesn't necessarily need to be a "Duke Family" guy either since that's not what got Coach K at Duke to begin with. What if Brad Stevens gets fired at Boston? What about Mark Few? What if UF coach Michael White gets offered by his father, the AD at Duke?

Speculation is endless and timing is essential to any decision made and at the moment there isn't any move being made one way or another.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s really going to depend on coaching by the Duke tree over the next few years

Capel and Wojo can recruit with anyone. But the coaching has to be there.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the guys that have been mentioned in this thread have done enough to warrant getting a look from one of the premier jobs in basketball.

That's why I was wondering if Snyder has actually accomplished the most out of everyone in his coaching tree. And whether or not he'd be a good candidate?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if Coach K keeps coaching another 10 years or if this is his last, but until just recentIy Snyder wasn't even in the picture. The ones that get the most attention are who's in the media's eye and the flavor of the day kind of coach. And there are a bunch of what ifs here. What if Capel turns around Pitt? What if Hurley gets ASU to a FF? What if Collins or WOJO make a run with their programs? And I don't expect anyone to make a decision without K's input one way or the other. And it doesn't necessarily need to be a "Duke Family" guy either since that's not what got Coach K at Duke to begin with. What if Brad Stevens gets fired at Boston? What about Mark Few? What if UF coach Michael White gets offered by his father, the AD at Duke?

Speculation is endless and timing is essential to any decision made and at the moment there isn't any move being made one way or another.

Those are all legitimate questions. I guess I'd been under the assumption that they would try to hire someone from the tree. Snyder would be intriguing given the success at Utah.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all legitimate questions. I guess I'd been under the assumption that they would try to hire someone from the tree. Snyder would be intriguing given the success at Utah.

Does that necessarily make him a likely successor to K? Snyder has been a college coach before at Mizzou and how'd that go? It ended badly as I recall. That doesn't mean he wouldn't work out now at Duke, but that makes his hire in my mind's eye, highly unlikely, regardless of his NBA success now. I think Capel is still the front-runner until something else happens to make it different. Besides, QS has had much more success as an NBA Coach and that's where he will likely remain.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I was wondering if Snyder has actually accomplished the most out of everyone in his coaching tree. And whether or not he'd be a good candidate?

As long as K doesn't promise the job to someone in the tree, then Duke should be fine. Coach K saw what happened in Chapel Hill 15-20 years ago, so he's well aware of the dangers of being forced to hire someone in the family.

I think if Wojo can build a winner at Marquette before K retires, the job is his. He still has time.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as K doesn't promise the job to someone in the tree, then Duke should be fine. Coach K saw what happened in Chapel Hill 15-20 years ago, so he's well aware of the dangers of being forced to hire someone in the family

I think if Wojo can build a winner at Marquette before K retires, the job is his. He still has time.

Coach K isn't the AD, but he is Duke Basketball so he will most definitely have a say if not the final say in who will be his successor.

He doesn't have that assistant beside him like Dean had Guthridge and this is a private University so he can approach it somewhat differently without it being a "In House" or family move.

Coach K cannot be replaced easily and I'm confident he has someone in mind and that was Capel's main reason for going to Pitt. This may be a few years down the road. Who knows?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness that dude looked like he'd been up 4-5 days in a row, while doing blow last night on the post-game show.

1524552865405-Coach-Quin-Snyder-Postgame-2064257-5.640x360.jpg

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as K doesn't promise the job to someone in the tree, then Duke should be fine. Coach K saw what happened in Chapel Hill 15-20 years ago, so he's well aware of the dangers of being forced to hire someone in the family.

Yeah it’s a fine line for me.

The next two years are going to be hands down wojos best rosters. If he proves he can win with his talent now he might be gone quick.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness that dude looked like he'd been up 4-5 days in a row, while doing blow last night on the post-game show.

1524552865405-Coach-Quin-Snyder-Postgame-2064257-5.640x360.jpg

When he was a player at Duke he was constantly fighting chronic migraines

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that necessarily make him a likely successor to K? Snyder has been a college coach before at Mizzou and how'd that go? It ended badly as I recall. That doesn't mean he wouldn't work out now at Duke, but that makes his hire in my mind's eye, highly unlikely, regardless of his NBA success now. I think Capel is still the front-runner until something else happens to make it different. Besides, QS has had much more success as an NBA Coach and that's where he will likely remain.

I guess I'm saying would that make him the frontrunner as of now? He did fine at Mizzou IMO, it's a tough place to win at, he took them to 4 tournaments in 7 years and had them in the E8 the one year which was the farthest Mizzou has ever gone. It didn't end well, you're right though. I just thought given his success in the NBA, he would be able to relate that to high school kids, much like K has done after coaching the Olympic team, in terms of getting good recruits. I think Capel is as solid a guess at this point as anyone, he had a good run at VCU and some success at OU, before that went sideways. If he can turn Pitt around he would definitely make sense.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think hiring Doherty(if that's what you're referencing) was a bad move at the time. I think he would have had them on the same trajectory that Williams put them on when he took over. Doherty landed the McCants/Felton/May/Noel class and was killed in year 2 when Peppers and Curry left for the NFL. Also, I feel like Guthridge was the main reason for the decline. After Carter and Jamison left, I feel like he didn't recruit. lol. Forte was obviously a great recruit, and to an extent Kris Lang, but after that it was pretty bare.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm saying would that make him the frontrunner as of now? He did fine at Mizzou IMO, it's a tough place to win at, he took them to 4 tournaments in 7 years and had them in the E8 the one year which was the farthest Mizzou has ever gone. It didn't end well, you're right though.
He did fine at Mizzou but it was mostly recruiting. He pretty wildly underachieved with his team that went to the E8 until the tournament but he had the talent to win.

The gist I've always gotten from him is that he was the golden child at Duke and he just blew Mizzou off because he was young and had some really awful off the court issues. If a person believes in rehabilitation then he is a good fit for Duke.

I could also see him staying in the NBA.

FWIW I don't see Mizzou as a tough place to win. It should be a basketball school but they haven't quite been able to recruit with the big boys. Quinn Snyder set them back a couple of years and Frank Haith set them back a couple of years but I see Mizzou being a basketball school in the SEC moving forward for the most part.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach K isn't the AD, but he is Duke Basketball so he will most definitely have a say if not the final say in who will be his successor.

He doesn't have that assistant beside him like Dean had Guthridge and this is a private University so he can approach it somewhat differently without it being a "In House" or family move.

Coach K cannot be replaced easily and I'm confident he has someone in mind and that was Capel's main reason for going to Pitt. This may be a few years down the road. Who knows?

An under-rated fuck up on UNC's part was promoting Gut. I know Doherty is the fall guy for that 8-20 season, but Gut is largely responsible for it.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think hiring Doherty(if that's what you're referencing) was a bad move at the time. I think he would have had them on the same trajectory that Williams put them on when he took over. Doherty landed the McCants/Felton/May/Noel class and was killed in year 2 when Peppers and Curry left for the NFL. Also, I feel like Guthridge was the main reason for the decline. After Carter and Jamison left, I feel like he didn't recruit. lol. Forte was obviously a great recruit, and to an extent Kris Lang, but after that it was pretty bare.

Doherty was a bad hire b/c they're UNC and he had one year of head coaching experience. College basketball is all about relationships, and Doherty sucked at them.

and as I mentioned before, Gut was the primary reason for their 8-20 season in 2002. Doherty was the fall guy, b/c it is a lot easier to blame the black sheep of the Carolina basketball family than it is to blame a guy that was an assistant coach for 30+ years.

They should have made Gut the interim coach for 1997/1998 (Dean retired right before the season). I believe that Roy would have accepted the job in 1998.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did fine at Mizzou but it was mostly recruiting. He pretty wildly underachieved with his team that went to the E8 until the tournament but he had the talent to win.

The gist I've always gotten from him is that he was the golden child at Duke and he just blew Mizzou off because he was young and had some really awful off the court issues. If a person believes in rehabilitation then he is a good fit for Duke.

I could also see him staying in the NBA.

FWIW I don't see Mizzou as a tough place to win. It should be a basketball school but they haven't quite been able to recruit with the big boys. Quinn Snyder set them back a couple of years and Frank Haith set them back a couple of years but I see Mizzou being a basketball school in the SEC moving forward for the most part.

I do recall there being some off-court issues, just wasn't sure if I was remembering that correctly.

And I would agree it should be a basketball school, the program has just been wildly inconsistent since I started following/recollecting college basketball(1996 season).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doherty was a bad hire b/c they're UNC and he had one year of head coaching experience. College basketball is all about relationships, and Doherty sucked at them.

and as I mentioned before, Gut was the primary reason for their 8-20 season in 2002. Doherty was the fall guy, b/c it is a lot easier to blame the black sheep of the Carolina basketball family than it is to blame a guy that was an assistant coach for 30+ years.

They should have made Gut the interim coach for 1997/1998 (Dean retired right before the season). I believe that Roy would have accepted the job in 1998.

I can agree with this. That was just a weird time frame in UNC basketball history. I'll never forget the game against Duke in the 2002 ACC Tournament when they were actively trying to slow the pace. Something I'd had never seen before and it stuck with me.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An under-rated fuck up on UNC's part was promoting Gut. I know Doherty is the fall guy for that 8-20 season, but Gut is largely responsible for it.

The reason Doherty is even a fall guy is because Dean hand picked Guthridge, but retained an office at the Dean Dome, then went behind a struggling Doherty and discussed Roy's move back to Chapel HiII.