• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Questions For 2013

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants will enter 2013, like all seasons, with some key questions. Here are some I've been obsessing about. Feel free to add your own, as well as predict how these things might turn out.

1) Will Timmeh rebound?

2) Can Romo close every day? How many saves will go to Affeldt and Casilla?

3) Will the Brandons emerge this year offensively?

4) Hunter Pence hit .219 with the Giants. Can he hit above .250 and give us 20+ home runs?

5) Can the Giant starters continue to avoid the DL? If someone goes down, who can fill in?

6) Scutaro hit .361 with the Giants and .271 with the Rocks. Which Scutaro will we get?

7) Can Panda stay healthy? Can he avoid deep fried bambo?

8) Who will emerge from out of nowhere this year to help the team?

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panda scares me. I will not say the words, but we all fear them...

Ithink BOTH Brandons have big years (relatively). I LOVE Crawfords plate discipline and bat control. I was saying last year that he has a chance to be a better Scutaro than Scutaro. Belt OWNS the plate, he just needs the confidance to command it. I think we started to see that a bit last year, and definately over the last month.

Timmeh is obviously a question. However, regardless of the answer, I suspect this is his last year with the Giants. He will either be unwanted, or too expensive.

I think Romo is a closer in name only. He does not have the durability to put up 30+ saves. We need KCya and Burger-Boy to help with the slack.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts:

1. Depends upon what you mean by rebound. I'd think something like 13-9, 3.55, 3.7 WAR
2. Romo should get about 35 saves, 2.30, 1.8 WAR. 5 saves, 3.30, 1.0 WAR between Aff and KCYa
3. Belt -- 17 HR 75 RBI 1.5 WAR; Stamos 7, 45, 2.0
4. Yes. 21, 85, 2.2
5. Not a ton of ML ready depth. Heston, Bonser, Fitzgerald, Petit would be the call ups.
6. Moped -- 6, 55, 0.7 WAR
7. He'll be healthy but fat. I saw him on the back fields Saturday, and good grief he's HUGE. I think we'll see 21, 85, 4.2
8. Three candidates: Scott Rolen, Heath Hembree, Gary Brown. Maybe Noonan or Quiroz.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants will enter 2013, like all seasons, with some key questions. Here are some I've been obsessing about. Feel free to add your own, as well as predict how these things might turn out.

1) Will Timmeh rebound?

4) Hunter Pence hit .219 with the Giants. Can he hit above .250 and give us 20+ home runs?

5) Can the Giant starters continue to avoid the DL? If someone goes down, who can fill in?

6) Scutaro hit .361 with the Giants and .271 with the Rocks. Which Scutaro will we get?

People were taking about Pablo and all of his injuries the past few years. They brought up both hand injuries, the hamstrings, the ankles, then someone said bunions to which then someone said "Wait what? Do you mean too many Bloomin Onions?" I had to laugh.

I hope he can stay healthy and effective the entire year.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh will rebound, but not quite all the way

Romo will close most days. Affeldt will have 5 and Casilla 6?

Brandon Belt will kill the ball this year and Brandon Crawford will hit .265 with 30 doubles

Hunter Pence will hit above .250 and 17 home runs

Giant starters will be healthy, but Mike Kickham will be called up if someone is injured or has a tired arm. He will be Zito's replacement at the bottom of the lineup next year.

Scutaro will hit .315

Panda will get banged up and miss 30 games this season. No pandas can stop eating bamboo let alone deep fried bamboo.

Nick Noonan will emerge from out of nowhere this year to help fill the hole from when Sandoval is injured. He will hit .250, have 3 HRs, and play solid defense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. I don't expect Cy-Timmeh, but a Timmeh with tighter command of the off-speed stuff, and if he continues that path, I think he will rebound and be resigned.

2. Romo doesn't need to close everyday and shouldn't have to. Closer by committee is fine by me. I don't think the lack of a closer was something that the Giants got away with last year. That bullpen was / is still great.

3. Yes, although I think Belt has already emerged. Crawford needs to be protected. I am looking forward to seeing Belt come out and start banging some "fuck you" homeruns.

4. Don't think Pence will hit above 2.50 but I do think he'll hit 20 home runs or more. Most coming in garbage innings.

5. I don't know who can fill in, if that happens might have to look for trades.

6. We will get the NLCS MVP Scutaro! Dude likes playing in SF, has good chemistry, why are you worried? Oh, it's ColinColby, sorry. :P

7. 30 HR power. 30 HR season. Water is wet, sky is blue, Panda is fat.

8. I'm looking at Francisco Peguero here to compliment the Blanco / Torres platoon.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Don't think Pence will hit above 2.50 but I do think he'll hit 20 home runs or more. Most coming in garbage innings.

If Twitchy gets two and a half hits per at bat, that's just half a hit behind that AB in the playoffs, right? And if he keeps up that pace, the HOF won't be far behind.

:yo:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Twitchy gets two and a half hits per at bat, that's just half a hit behind that AB in the playoffs, right? And if he keeps up that pace, the HOF won't be far behind.

:yo:

Even Nick Lowery would tip his hat if he were able pull off that avg...

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Will Timmeh rebound?

1. Timmeh worries me. I think Timmeh was successful from the pen last year because it was the pen ON THE BIGGEST STAGE POSSIBLE. I don't see him as a daily RP. Not sure he'd have the focus and desire for that role. As a SP I personally think he'll struggle to hit .500.
2. Romo has the stuff of a closer but I'm not sure he has physical endurance. I'm hoping that Hembree emerges as one of our surprises
3. The Brandons will emerge this year. Belt will be AWESOME
4. Pence will have a HUGE year and we will be faced with a long term contract decision because of it
5. SP will stay relatively healthy. Zito will have another good year
6. Scutaro will have a good year, but not at a .361 pace. I'd settle for .290
7. Panda will be in and out of line up all year. His weight will be an issue. He will produce when he's healthy
8. I think we will make some sort of a July acquistion that will define our season. Something like out Cody Ross pick-up in 2010.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confident about the Brandon's as well (in fact, not worried about them at all, you Voidfield bastage!) ;) I think Crawford is in the running for a gold glove, assuming he hit at least .260. I fear Belt's power numbers will continue to be hurt by playing at AT&T, but he'll continue to see a lot of pitches, get on base, and perhaps even earn all of those All Star votes this time around.

As for Scutaro, there have been too many veteran guys who have played like Superman in a contract year, only to play like damaged goods the year after. I think Scutaro will a solid #2 hitter and good 2nd baseman, but I fear that what we saw at the end of the year was an illusion. I hope I'm wrong.

And as bad as Pence looked in a Giant uniform, he absolutely needs to rebound to earn a big contract. I'm confident, with an improved Belt batting behind him, that he will put up decent numbers this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring training for the board as well. Rounding into opening day shape. Or maybe I should say getting rid of the round shape for opening day.

:suds:

We need at least one good GDT under our belt for the board to get back in shape. The last week or so has been an improvement, but we are all FAR from mid-season form.

We will get there, but the hangover needs to be beaten.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need at least one good GDT under our belt for the board to get back in shape. The last week or so has been an improvement, but we are all FAR from mid-season form.

We will get there, but the hangover needs to be beaten.

Whiteside's fault?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Will Timmeh rebound?

Relatively. 14 wins, 3.75 ERA, a quality No.4

No Romo can't. Injuries are a bit of a concern, but just not a full time closer. I'd say Affeldt and Casilla get around 10 saves each.

BIG year for Belt. 20 HR's, 70 RBI's.
Crawford will win a Gold Glove

.257 hitter, 23 HR's

Yes we can avoid the DL. If we don't, well.......I just pray we don't have to see that

.290-.305

Yes, he has no more hamate bones. He will make 5x as many trips to the buffet as he will hit HR's

Belt (big year) and Peguero