• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pumphrey sucks

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sorry, but he better not make the team. Howie just needs to eat this loss now and not waste a valuable roster spot on this guy just because he was a fourth round pick. Clement is better, and if we want another scatback, Byron Marshall is better than Pumphrey. Zero reason to roster Pumphrey. He will make it to the practice squad, but I don't even think he is worth that. He looks totally out of his league in the NFL.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem to be a bit much for him. I haven't watched the game yet but I have not been impressed with him in any of the 3 as a RB or Returner. I recorded it last night and I doubt my opinion will change much. I am all for putting him on the PS. He may grow into a really good role player. I guess my question would be who doesn't make the PS because of him.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked unimpressive and got a concussion.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a NFL talent imo.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally watched the game and he is very unimpressive. This is my guess for the RB's we keep.

Sproles
Blount
Smallwood
Clement

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Marshall is a scatback? Huh?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Byron Marshall is a scatback.

So, Pumphrey didn't get cut. There is a reason this team never wins anything. They are not ruthless when it comes to admitting their mistakes and cutting them from the team. Howie was quick to get rid of Chip's mistakes, but when it comes to his own, he covers them up. No way Pumphrey and Shelton Gibson should have made the roster. That's just insane.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, Pumphrey didn't get cut. There is a reason this team never wins anything. They are not ruthless when it comes to admitting their mistakes and cutting them from the team. Howie was quick to get rid of Chip's mistakes, but when it comes to his own, he covers them up. No way Pumphrey and Shelton Gibson should have made the roster. That's just insane.

:agree:

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

help me out. what other scatbacks go over 200 lbs?

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a big fan of keeping him but they see him at practice and they probably haven't shown us anything as far as how he is going to be used. Trying to stay positive. :D

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't cut a player like this after a couple months in camp and preseason, or in one year. Try to develop this kid. His main asset as a player is his explosiveness, and sometimes as a rookie your head is spinning and you're forced to play slow because you're always thinking, instead of flowing and playing with instincts. Give this kid a chance. He may not amount to anything, but you don't draft this kid in the 4th round because of great tape, and then decide to cut him after a few months into his rookie year. They kept him on the 53, instead of IR, so he can get valuable practice reps and learn under Sproles.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand keeping Pumphrey but Gibson making the 53 is asinine.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand keeping Pumphrey but Gibson making the 53 is asinine.

While I was surprised about Gibson, who struggled mightily in camp, he did improve, and they think that Mike Groh will bring out his best. If he develops, he could be one of the very fastest player in the league, a bonafide 4.3 forty guy. We just don't know yet.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 25% of 4th rounders make it so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he doesn't. I kind of think with running backs you kind of know right away if they have it or not. Sure they can improve but it's not like other positions, it's more instinct.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making the 46 is a big deal. Whether yours on the 53 or the 63 is really just a matter of contract and perceived interest from other teams to steal players off of the practice squad. To Howie's credit, it seems that he kept the players he needed on the 63 and nobody opted to jump ship. Of course you could also argue that they had no one that someone else wanted?

All the guys under discussion would likely still be here on the practice squad if they were not on the 53. But perhaps Howie knows what we do not that a Gibson or Pumphrey would have been picked up by another team if he tried to put them on the practice squad? They were drafted for a reason....that being that they believed that other teams liked the player. So if you don't put them on the 53 those same teams may steal them. Not to mention the 4th/5th round contracts are fairly favorable to the team long term, so if you keep them on the 53 that contract is still in place.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most likely, they don't want to admit they made a mistake yet, and they are covering up for the scouts and decision to draft them. It's easier to sell, cutting a guy 3 or 4 years out, than this early. Overall, he has done some wonderful things. But if you want to look at why we don't win a championship - look no further than Kelce still being on the team; and the Corners coach not having his ass handed to him for not getting the CB's to look back ALL YEAR LONG, despite film of guys making TD passes that almost hit the CB in the back!!! These are basic, glaring issues that are absolute blind spots, and make huge differences in the overall performance of the team. Giving up a TD vs creating a turnover???? Protecting your QB from inside pressure???? I would feel better if we were trying new people - even if it were the wrong people. AT least they see the problem. But everything suggests, they don't even see these problems. That is what will hinder us in our championship persuit. BUT, he is doing better than Chip or Reid so far. So there is that.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is that Gibson would have been poached due to his speed alone... if he develops you have a rare deep threat. Also - as pointed out by Barret Brooks and his buddy in a podcast, Gibson might simply be someone who has to adjust a bit more, especially when looking at what he was asked to do in college. One route (average run) vs a route tree, and Gibson himself apparently admitted as much.

Gibson also pointed out that it took him a little to get used to the college level, and when the light came one (him no longer having to think on the field) things got much better (including few er drops).

Pumphrey probably would have been poached as well, for similar reasons (a potential Sproles-light).

BTW, Pumphrey himself is aware he is lucky to be on the team, realises he has a lot of work to do, and does not expect to play any time soon.

Basically they have red-shirted Pumphrey and Gibson the only way they could.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pumphrey is a guy that will need a year in the league. Let's see what he looks like next year. Obviously the game is a bit too fast and too big for him right now.