• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Manhattan College

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manhattan Jaspers to keep coach Steve Masiello - ESPN New York

Manhattan has decided to retain coach Steve Masiello and will reinstate him once he completes his undergraduate degree, the school announced Monday.

Masiello will be placed on unpaid leave until he completes his undergraduate degree at Kentucky, Manhattan said in a statement. Associate head coach Matt Grady will serve as interim head coach during Masiello's absence.

"I am extremely grateful and humbled by the opportunity to continue as the head men's basketball coach at Manhattan College," Masiello said in the statement. "I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter.

"Manhattan College has shown me a great deal of compassion and trust during this process, and I will do everything in my power to uphold that trust. I understand that I am very fortunate to have the chance to remain here at Manhattan."

According to multiple sources, Masiello is about 10 credits shy and will take classes to finish his degree in the next couple of months

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes...details...and the truth...matter

"I made a mistake that could have cost me my job at an institution I love. Details matter."

"Yeah, I love it so much that I was ready to fly south in a manhattan minute for a job at another institution."

well. good for Manhattan; they showed more compassion for the guy than I would have. I hope he appreciates it as much as he says.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm happy it didn't ruin his career, ten credits is nothing he will be back after the fall semester, probably sooner.

He's lucky Manhattan kept him though, huge props to Manhattan for giving him a second chance.

Yes he lied, public ridicule is a pretty good punishment and he will always be known as THAT guy.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's good he's going to have a chance to get his career on the right track again, but let's not act like Manhattan is doing him a huge favor though.

The odds of Manhattan finding someone as good or better than Masiello that will work for the same or less are pretty much 0. Barring a miracle, he represents the absolute best case scenario for the program.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's good he's going to have a chance to get his career on the right track again, but let's not act like Manhattan is doing him a huge favor though.

The odds of Manhattan finding someone as good or better than Masiello that will work for the same or less are pretty much 0. Barring a miracle, he represents the absolute best case scenario for the program.

Clearly, it wasn't some huge compassionate we love you coach type fuzzy feeling thing, business, he's there best chance.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school took the pragmatic approach, one that benefits them, ie: recruiting...as well as benefiting the coach...and both from a positive public relations standpoint. Good ending all around.