• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Brandon Belt

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no difference in the risk that your 3B and C get injured in the same game as your C and backup C getting injured in the same game. And the result is the same, you go to the emergency catcher, probably lose that one game, and then call in replacements for the next game.

To me there's no difference in risk, why would it be scary? What you have with my idea is increased flexibility, you still have a backup C but he's also your starting 3B, so you don't need an extra roster spot just for a guy who plays 20% of the time. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this idea but I can't. Maybe players just don't like being both, when they are done catching they just want to focus on one new position every day?

I think there is a difference. In the first scenario, your backup catcher is playing third. In the second, your backup catcher is on the bench and only comes in if the starter gets hurt.

I don't think there's a huge risk either way, but there is a difference. Maybe not significant.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to say I didn't like it. Rather, conventional baseball wisdom doesn't like it. The reality of a starting 3rd baseman being the backup catcher versus a guy on the bench being the backup are probably no different in risk factor. However, the perception that a guy in the starting lineup being the sole backup to the catcher can be viewed as very risky. Bochy, being a former catcher himself, would probably be very adverse to the idea. Then the next Bochy wouldn't get his chance in SF.
Another thought: would your starting 3bman get enough reps to maintain his skills behind the dish? I'm not sure, but I'd bet this is the main reason why you don't see the backup catcher as a starting position player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thought: would your starting 3bman get enough reps to maintain his skills behind the dish? I'm not sure, but I'd bet this is the main reason why you don't see the backup catcher as a starting position player.
The amount of study that a starting catcher puts into the opposing team is ridiculous. Outside of the physical toll the squat takes on the player, the lack of focus on hitting due to this study is one reason, I think, we don't see very many good hitting catchers.

If Buster were to become the BU catcher, he would lose a lot of his value behind the dish just because if the lack of prep he would have.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all good reasons. Obviously there's a reason no one does it, because from a roster standpoint it would be a good hack.