• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Brandon Belt

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is. Two things we will never forget:

1. The Holocaust
2. The HanRam/Arias argument.

Well played.

:clap:

Well, there are some who deny that the HanRam/Arias argument ever happened - OR if it really did happen, that it was greatly exaggerated. They claim that the whole thing is simply a conspiracy to advance the interest of Arias at the expense of more talented, and more worthy, baseball players...

PS : don't hurt yourself when you fall off the chair, laughing.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are some who deny that the HanRam/Arias argument ever happened - OR if it really did happen, that it was greatly exaggerated. They claim that the whole thing is simply a conspiracy to advance the interest of Arias at the expense of more talented, and more worthy, baseball players...

PS : don't hurt yourself when you fall off the chair, laughing.
:L

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I just thought about regarding Belt's season. It is coming in the first year of his first big deal! Doesn't seem to be cruising after getting a windfall nor pressing too hard (and failing) because of the money.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I just thought about regarding Belt's season. It is coming in the first year of his first big deal! Doesn't seem to be cruising after getting a windfall nor pressing too hard (and failing) because of the money.
Refreshing for sure. I think it also speaks volumes about the attitudes/mindset on that Giants team. Pence (injuries not withstanding), Crawford and Posey haven't been slouches since signing their hefty contracts either.

Happy for Belt and hope he can keep it up. Only bad thing is, he's keeping Posey behind the dish, lol. Giants will need them both down the stretch.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refreshing for sure. I think it also speaks volumes about the attitudes/mindset on that Giants team. Pence (injuries not withstanding), Crawford and Posey haven't been slouches since signing their hefty contracts either.

Happy for Belt and hope he can keep it up. Only bad thing is, he's keeping Posey behind the dish, lol. Giants will need them both down the stretch.
You know, the Giants do seem to have a need at 3rd base . . .

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, the Giants do seem to have a need at 3rd base . . .
Lol, What you've done there, has been seen.

I still wonder where the reluctance is to Buster at 3rd by the org. Is it a Buster decision? Bochy decision? Org decision? It's just easier to move Belt to LF? Have any of you heard the reasoning behind it? It doesn't look like they're ever going to do it, but I have no idea why they're so steadfastly against it.

He's got the arm for it, his body type is fine for it and he played SS in college, so the footwork angle shouldn't take long to re-learn. It would be less taxing than catching and he's not as good as Belt.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, What you've done there, has been seen.

I still wonder where the reluctance is to Buster at 3rd by the org. Is it a Buster decision? Bochy decision? Org decision? It's just easier to move Belt to LF? Have any of you heard the reasoning behind it? It doesn't look like they're ever going to do it, but I have no idea why they're so steadfastly against it.

He's got the arm for it, his body type is fine for it and he played SS in college, so the footwork angle shouldn't take long to re-learn. It would be less taxing than catching and he's not as good as Belt.
60124cead81b9627361fef7164ae62b7.jpg

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 137608

"This is gonna be GREAT !!!"
Lol, I was always with you on this. I was just more willing to let the dream die. Especially once Duffy came up and did so well.

I know it isnt going to happen, I've just never heard an explanation as to why not other than "no".

I haven't kept up with the Merc nor the Chronicle as much since I've moved down south tho. Have I missed the explanation.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I was always with you on this. I was just more willing to let the dream die. Especially once Duffy came up and did so well.

I know it isnt going to happen, I've just never heard an explanation as to why not other than "no".

I haven't kept up with the Merc nor the Chronicle as much since I've moved down south tho. Have I missed the explanation.
OK, I couldn't remember if you were here during the peak activity on this subject. My initial reply was to all the others, not to you. There hasn't been much follow-up on the subject outside of this board that I'm aware of.

It made the most sense when it looked like Susac was going to really break out, and before Duffy did. But we don't have a catcher beating the MLB door down just yet. I'm not sure it makes sense if it's just to give Downtown more PT. And Penaspie has been doing an adequate job at 3rd.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just too soon for Posey to 3B. As you said, Susac isn't breaking down the door, Brown is solid but not an everyday guy. Posey isn't even 30 yet, he may be up for it in a couple years.

Here's an idea, would it make sense when the time is right to make Posey the primary 3B but also have him be the backup catcher? So we have a new everyday catcher, then every 4th day or so Posey goes behind the dish, and plays 3rd the other days? That way you don't waste a roster spot on a backup C only guy, and your backup is as good as anyone else's starter. On days where Posey doesn't play at all you start your backup 3B and the primary catcher.

So now you have room for an extra RP or IF or OF, whatever works:

Someone at C, Posey 3B, Panik 2B, Craw SS, Belt 1B. 3 OFs
Bench can be 2 OFs, 3 INFs, no need for a backup C
5 starters, 7 RPs. Or 8 RPs and just 2 IFs.

Food for thought

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posey has repeatedly said that he wants to catch. The pitchers have repeatedly said they love throwing to Posey, and that his game calling is a big part of there success. (reported in the SJMerc over the last couple years)

Is it all marketing hype? I don't know, but it seems that Posey will be behind the dish for another coupla years, at least.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just too soon for Posey to 3B. As you said, Susac isn't breaking down the door, Brown is solid but not an everyday guy. Posey isn't even 30 yet, he may be up for it in a couple years.

Here's an idea, would it make sense when the time is right to make Posey the primary 3B but also have him be the backup catcher? So we have a new everyday catcher, then every 4th day or so Posey goes behind the dish, and plays 3rd the other days? That way you don't waste a roster spot on a backup C only guy, and your backup is as good as anyone else's starter. On days where Posey doesn't play at all you start your backup 3B and the primary catcher.

So now you have room for an extra RP or IF or OF, whatever works:

Someone at C, Posey 3B, Panik 2B, Craw SS, Belt 1B. 3 OFs
Bench can be 2 OFs, 3 INFs, no need for a backup C
5 starters, 7 RPs. Or 8 RPs and just 2 IFs.

Food for thought
Look what I've done. Crack a joke and a serious topic pops back up.

The one thing I see as not workable in your plan, msg, is making your starting 3rd baseman the sole backup catcher. That seems too scary for an MLB team to do. What happens if your 3rd baseman and your catcher gets banged up in the same game. Who catches? I know that the reality of that happening is probably close to the same as both catchers being hurt in the same game but its enough a scare to make teams not want to do it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one thing I see as not workable in your plan, msg, is making your starting 3rd baseman the sole backup catcher. That seems too scary for an MLB team to do. What happens if your 3rd baseman and your catcher gets banged up in the same game. Who catches? I know that the reality of that happening is probably close to the same as both catchers being hurt in the same game but its enough a scare to make teams not want to do it.
The Red Sox have a 3B who also used catch on the DL. I forget his name. Maybe we could make a deal for him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's really no difference in the risk that your 3B and C get injured in the same game as your C and backup C getting injured in the same game. And the result is the same, you go to the emergency catcher, probably lose that one game, and then call in replacements for the next game.

To me there's no difference in risk, why would it be scary? What you have with my idea is increased flexibility, you still have a backup C but he's also your starting 3B, so you don't need an extra roster spot just for a guy who plays 20% of the time. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this idea but I can't. Maybe players just don't like being both, when they are done catching they just want to focus on one new position every day?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey has repeatedly said that he wants to catch. The pitchers have repeatedly said they love throwing to Posey, and that his game calling is a big part of there success. (reported in the SJMerc over the last couple years)

Is it all marketing hype? I don't know, but it seems that Posey will be behind the dish for another coupla years, at least.

Pitchers love throwing to him because of his game-calling, and his pitch framing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no difference in the risk that your 3B and C get injured in the same game as your C and backup C getting injured in the same game. And the result is the same, you go to the emergency catcher, probably lose that one game, and then call in replacements for the next game.

To me there's no difference in risk, why would it be scary? What you have with my idea is increased flexibility, you still have a backup C but he's also your starting 3B, so you don't need an extra roster spot just for a guy who plays 20% of the time. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this idea but I can't. Maybe players just don't like being both, when they are done catching they just want to focus on one new position every day?
I wasn't trying to say I didn't like it. Rather, conventional baseball wisdom doesn't like it. The reality of a starting 3rd baseman being the backup catcher versus a guy on the bench being the backup are probably no different in risk factor. However, the perception that a guy in the starting lineup being the sole backup to the catcher can be viewed as very risky. Bochy, being a former catcher himself, would probably be very adverse to the idea. Then the next Bochy wouldn't get his chance in SF.