• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Projecting the offseason 6th attempt

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have managed to not do another one of these for a couple of days but my mind changes like the wind in terms of what I think the Lightning will do and I can't resist to not post about it so here we go again...

Trades

Jonathan Drouin and Andrej Sustr to Nashville and Ryan Ellis and a 2017 3rd round draft pick

I still have Drouin being moved. I do think it's down to him or Johnson who will gt moved this summer for defensive help. There are also rumors that Drouin is looking for a long term commitment deal were as the Lightning would prefer a bridge deal similar to Kucherov's. Additionally despite Drouin's elite level offense, his play away from the puck is poor hence his team's worst -13 this past season.

Thinking about this Drouin situation, I think the deal will be dictated by the expansion draft as you can only protect 7 forwards and 3 defenseman or 4 forwards and 4 defenseman. I imagine team's are mainly going to exericse the protection 7 forwards and 3 defenseman as if you protect 4 defeseman your going to lose 3 forwards. With this being the case the teams that have deep bluelines could move a defenseman they are unable to protect for other positional asset(s). I therefore think Anaheim and Nashville are the two prime candidates for Drouin. Anaheim could move someline like Cam Fowler or Sami Vatanen but my guess would be Fowler but the Ducks are not a fan of Drouin were as the Nashville front office are and have been interested in him for 16 months. If the expansion draft wasn't in place I don't think this deal would as probably but the fact they could lose a very good top 4 defenseman for nothing, that makes the deal more likely.

As I say the Preds have been interested in Drouin for a while now and would give them a dynamic point getter on their 2nd line. They also add some depth on the blueline with Sustr who can come in and provide as some insurance as their #5 defenseman. For the Bolts they got a dyanmic puckmoving defenseman who is coming off a 16 goal season. He has 2 years left on his deal that pays him just $2.5 mill per which is very cheap for a defenseman on his quality.

Jason Garrison to St.Louis for a 2018 5th round pick

St. Louis are a deep team and every year are in contention. They have a good D core but could use some more depth on the 3rd paring so they grab Garrison. The Lightning retain salary in the deal to help the Blues out and get Garrison off the roster in search off an upgrade.

Slater Koekkoek and a 2018 5th round pick to Chicago for Ville Pokka

This is a deal primarily dictated by the expansion draft and it makes sense for both sides. Pokka is the likely claimed player for the Hawks and he's a talented 22 year old defenseman who they could lose for nothing therefore they get something for him in Koekkoek. Slater is a talented player in his own right but will not likely be claimed by Vegas due to his up and down career to date. Koekkoek needs a fresh a start and a move to Chicago would do him the world of good playing alongside some really talented D men.

Why does it make sense for the bolts? Well with the addition of Ryan Ellis the bolts expose Dotchin to be claimed by Vegas therefore the addition of Pokka esentially gives the bolts an alternive. Vegas would have to choose between Dotchin and Pokka and the other unclaimed player makes the team for the bolts.

Expansion Draft

7 Fowards Protected

Steven Stamkos
Nikita Kucherov
Ondrej Palat
Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn
Ryan Callahan
Vladislav Namestinkov

3 Defenseman Protected
Victor Hedman
Anton Stralman
Ryan Ellis

1 Goalie Protected
Andrei Vasilevski

NHL Players Exposed to Expansion Draft
Braydon Coburn
Jake Dotchin
Cedric Paquette
J.T Brown
Ville Pokka
Peter Budaj

Vegas have to claim one player per team, out of the list above that the Lightning lose Jake Dotchin. This is a tough pill to swallow as Dotchin was a really good find for the bolts but this is why the Koekkoek/Pokka deal makes sense as the Lightning already have their replacment within.

Pending UFA's & RFA's
Ondrej Palat signs a 6 year deal worth $33 million ($5.5 AAV)
Tyler Johnson signs a 5 year deal worth $25 million ($5 AAV)
Peter Budaj signs a 2 year deal worth $2 million ($1 AAV)
Luke Witkowski signs a 1 year deal worth $750K (750K AAV)

With Drouin moved Palat become the teams #1 priority. He got off to a slow start but finished the season strong and his game is valuable to the team as he does it all. Johnson has been injury plauged the last couple of seasons but still remains a core off this team. Dotchin was a real suprise when recalled, player better than anticaped but don't see the Lightning making a huge commitment to a player who is only 35 games into his NHL career. Budaj played well last season mainly for the Kings and could generate interest on the market but bolts keep hold off him to provide a veteran experience around Vasy. The Lightning bring fan favourite Witkowski back as a depth 7th defenseman and add some much needed tougness when possible.

NHL Draft

14th overall pick Juuso Valimaki - Defenseman - Tri City Americans (WHL)

The Finland-born defenseman has an intriguing mix of speed and mobility that allows him to join the attack. He had 61 points (19 goals, 42 assists) in 60 games, seventh among WHL defensemen. In addition to his vision and ability to quickly transition from defense to offense, his size (6-2, 204) makes him an imposing figure protecting his net.

FA

Michael Del Zotto signs a 4 year deal worth $14 mill ($3.5 AAV)
Brian Boyle signs a 2 year deal worth $3.6 mill ($1.8 AAV)

The Lightning need to add another a top 4 defenseman to go along Ellis and they add Del Zotto. Yzerman wants to add more puckmoving ability and offense productivty on the blueline and that is what both Ellis and Del Zotto bring to the table.

Brian Boyle didn't want to leave Tampa but down to the nature of the business he was moved. He still has a house in the Tampa area and lives there with his wife and son and they are soon expected another child. Boyle loved it in Tampa and the organization loved him. He could get more money elsewhere but I see him returning on a discount deal in chase another cup.

Team

Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Point
Erne-Namestinkov-Callahan
Paquette-Boyle-Brown

Extras: Frose

Hedman-Ellis
Del Zotto-Stralman
Coburn-Pokka

Extras: Witkowski

Vasilevski
Budaj