• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 3: vs. Colts

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth Charts for the upcoming game:

DH2RPniUAAAX5qX.jpg:large

DEFENSE
1WSqI6c.png

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp I was fully intending to watch this game but I got caught up with family. Had a bunch of fam fly in from California and we hosted everyone over for the Mayweather/McGregor fight. Completely missed this game.

After watching highlights & reading recaps I'll give a few of my own observations...

QB... Well Landry looked a lot better than I expected him to. Something about the way he looked in the pocket looked much improved. Not sure if it was a comfort level or he has suddenly received +100 in his pocket awareness rating, but it seemed to work really well. The throwing mechanics have, and always will look "decent" or average. Nothing new in that regard. Glad to see Dobbs get thrown back into the fire late in the game. He should take the bulk in PG4 again. Ben looked somewhat pedestrian. Some badly placed throws here & there. Just knocking the rust off though, he should be more than fine. B

RB... Davis looked decent with the starters. Nothing really exciting but he looked competent in everything he was asked to do. Essentially what you want in a vet. Injury to Toussaint put him in the drivers seat. Glad to see Conner continuing to run downhill again. His burst to the 2nd level is for real! Love seeing his physical style of play in that regard. In PG2 he tried to get too crafty and that took too much away from his game. He seems to have figured that out and looks more comfortable out there. Glad to see Watson get in on the action again. He's a bulldozer & surprisingly good in the passing game. B+

WR... Aside from AB, Rogers was the man in this game. He made grinding out 12-15yd gains look easy. I think he'll be a huge asset this year. Bryant looked more comfortable. Not convinced that Hunter is going to make this team. Sucked he was only targeted once, but he's not really giving the Steelers any great reasons to cut their 2015 3rd-round pick. But what he does have in his favor is that Coates isn't doing anything spectacular either. Coates had 1 catch for 1yd off of 4 targets? Ew. But watch out for DHB. He's clawing his way back on ST. Read that he had 1 tackle, but repeatedly cutoff lanes, and even downed a punt as a ST gunner. That's quality production from a bubble player. C+

TE... Man did Grimble put on a show! Not only for the TD, but his blocking game came alive! In 1 play where Conner bounced out left, Grimble took 3 defenders out of the play. His initial block to scrape the edge guy into the OT, then he pushed 1 DB into another & they bother fell on their asses. Impressive play! He had multiple big blocks to spring Conner. This was the biggest concern over him, and he did nothin but impress in that regard. Bad drops from James, but the ball could have been placed better by Ben. B+

O-line... Scary miscue on AVill's part when he missed his assignment & that guy had a free shot on Ben for the sack-fumble. That's something you do not want to see in the preseason, but at the same time you're glad because its meaningless & hope he learns from it. Finney looked better. B-

D-Line... Still seeing good things with this group. They look good. Love how you don't see any dropoff in play when Alualu & Walton are in there. That is something they have sorely needed the past few years. A-

LB... Saw some fairly good things from all. But nothing really stood out. Was hoping to see something good from Dupree but didn't. Bummed about that. Kind of an incomplete assessment on my part since I didnt get to watch much from them, but I'll go with a C.

DB... Sensabaugh may not have looked great early on, but I think by the end of the game he helped his case. Sutton looked good. Can only hope he gets better as he gets more experience. Cockrell continues to look bad. So did Golden. Tackling his own teammate (Burns) off of Moncrief was very painful to see. Really starting to worry about this group more & more. Waffling between personnel & coaching trying to make sense of it. Whatever the case, we continue to have more questions than answers at this point with this offseason coming to a close. Didn't hear anything on Phillips so not sure he played? D

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with the team as a whole. But I will say there were some positives. As far as Landry Jones playing, definitely looked better than what I've seen of him. Maybe drafting Dobbs lit a fire under Landry's ass to step his shit up. I hope they don't really play the starters past the 1st quarter against Carolina. Conner looked decent, Grimble definitely earned his spot on this roster in my opinion. Great blocking and great overall play the entire game. Shazier obviously shined but that's what he does.

Here's my predictions for the main roster after PG3:

QB: Ben, Landry, Dobbs
RB: Bell, Conner, Davis (KR), Nix
WR: Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Hamilton, Bey, Ayers (KR/PR), Coates, JuJu
TE: James, Grimble, Johnson
O-Line: DeCastro, Finney, Foster, Hawkins, Pouncey, A-Vill, Carter
D-Line: Alualu, Hargrave, Heyward, Tuitt, McCullers, Walton
LB: Chickillo, Dupree, Shazier, Watt, Harrison, Moats, V-Will, Matakevich, Johnson
DB: Burns, Davis, Cockrell, Gay, Golden, Mitchell, Sensabaugh, Sutton
Special Teams: Berry, Boswell, Canaday, Holba

I feel like Ayers will be a return guy mainly. Same with Davis. I'd really like to keep Hunter and Houston on the PS because injuried are, unfortunately, inevitable on this team.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with the team as a whole. But I will say there were some positives. As far as Landry Jones playing, definitely looked better than what I've seen of him. Maybe drafting Dobbs lit a fire under Landry's ass to step his shit up. I hope they don't really play the starters past the 1st quarter against Carolina. Conner looked decent, Grimble definitely earned his spot on this roster in my opinion. Great blocking and great overall play the entire game. Shazier obviously shined but that's what he does.

Here's my predictions for the main roster after PG3:

QB: Ben, Landry, Dobbs
RB: Bell, Conner, Davis (KR), Nix
WR: Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Hamilton, Bey, Ayers (KR/PR), Coates, JuJu
TE: James, Grimble, Johnson
O-Line: DeCastro, Finney, Foster, Hawkins, Pouncey, A-Vill, Carter
D-Line: Alualu, Hargrave, Heyward, Tuitt, McCullers, Walton
LB: Chickillo, Dupree, Shazier, Watt, Harrison, Moats, V-Will, Matakevich, Johnson
DB: Burns, Davis, Cockrell, Gay, Golden, Mitchell, Sensabaugh, Sutton
Special Teams: Berry, Boswell, Canaday, Holba

I feel like Ayers will be a return guy mainly. Same with Davis. I'd really like to keep Hunter and Houston on the PS because injuried are, unfortunately, inevitable on this team.
Some feedback if you're up for the gumbo...

• Seriously doubt the starters will see any playtime at all in PG4. They rarely ever have. Tomlin uses this annual Carolina game as a final day to evaluate the bubble players, not the starters.
  • 7 O-lineman is risky business. 8 has been the typical number as of late. And who the hell is Carter? lol. I assume you mean Gilbert?
  • Interesting keeping McCullers when both Walton & Alualu are position flexible. I doubt Big Dan makes it but would like to hear what you think are the positives to keeping him around.
  • Not that it was anything concrete, but Carnell Lake did say they intend to carry 6 CBs this year.
  • Only 1 backup safety!? Continuing your risky trend! lol.
  • There's zero chance they carry 2 LS's. You can effectively eliminate Canaday unless Holba gets injured.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some feedback if you're up for the gumbo...

• Seriously doubt the starters will see any playtime at all in PG4. They rarely ever have. Tomlin uses this annual Carolina game as a final day to evaluate the bubble players, not the starters.
  • 7 O-lineman is risky business. 8 has been the typical number as of late. And who the hell is Carter? lol. I assume you mean Gilbert?
  • Interesting keeping McCullers when both Walton & Alualu are position flexible. I doubt Big Dan makes it but would like to hear what you think are the positives to keeping him around.
  • Not that it was anything concrete, but Carnell Lake did say they intend to carry 6 CBs this year.
  • Only 1 backup safety!? Continuing your risky trend! lol.
  • There's zero chance they carry 2 LS's. You can effectively eliminate Canaday unless Holba gets injured.

Ha, yeah I means Marcus Gilbert. IDK why I thought his last name was Carter lol.

I don't know if Hargrave gets the starting NT job. He looks good, don't get me wrong, but he could still learn a thing or two from someone and I think McCullers is that guy. But, I didn't know that Walton was flexible in positioning. I thought we just had Alualu as a flex guy. Definitely changes my mind on McCullers then. So in that case lets take McCullers off and add on another O-lineman. I'd probably go with Chris Hubbard.

So eliminate Canaday out, so we have room for another safety, which would ultimately be Dangerfield. If they plan on running with 6 CBs (Burns, Gay, Sensabaugh, Sutton and Cockrell already on the list), do they give Brian Allen a shot? Two rookie CBs? I would also assume that Senquez Golson is just out of the picture at this point right? Which we would then have to get rid of someone else. Do they run with 8 LBs? Maybe only 7 WRs and drop Ayers to the PS and keep running with Rogers, Davis, Coates and AB as the return guys?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, yeah I means Marcus Gilbert. IDK why I thought his last name was Carter lol.

I don't know if Hargrave gets the starting NT job. He looks good, don't get me wrong, but he could still learn a thing or two from someone and I think McCullers is that guy. But, I didn't know that Walton was flexible in positioning. I thought we just had Alualu as a flex guy. Definitely changes my mind on McCullers then. So in that case lets take McCullers off and add on another O-lineman. I'd probably go with Chris Hubbard.

So eliminate Canaday out, so we have room for another safety, which would ultimately be Dangerfield. If they plan on running with 6 CBs (Burns, Gay, Sensabaugh, Sutton and Cockrell already on the list), do they give Brian Allen a shot? Two rookie CBs? I would also assume that Senquez Golson is just out of the picture at this point right? Which we would then have to get rid of someone else. Do they run with 8 LBs? Maybe only 7 WRs and drop Ayers to the PS and keep running with Rogers, Davis, Coates and AB as the return guys?
Hargrave is going to be the starter. McCullers hasn't done anything to prove he can handle the job. He's a gigantic mountain of a man but he lacks technique. @ATL96Steeler can confirm, but I sort of remember coach J Mitchell saying something about Walton getting 2nd team reps inside? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong but we had a discussion that essentially boiled down to McCullers chances of making the roster were slim to none.

Hubbard is the guy. He was the backup swing OT last season, and I don't think Hawkins has done enough to earn that job. They still need both Finney & Hubbard because they are capable of playing numerous positions on the line. That sort of flexibility is incredibly valuable. A true backup swing OT like Hawkins or Feiler/Mihalik makes sense. We saw Feiler get the start at LG in PG2 so his position flexibility could be boosting his value as well.

Dangerfield would definitely be the main backup safety. And I'm not all too sure that he shouldn't be considered over Golden. Golden has looked decent in spurts, but lately he has looked pretty bad. Ross continues to impress.

CBs... I have Hilton making the team over Brian Allen as the 6th. But Allen is still in the equation & would be the next man up. And now we have Phillips to consider, but I don't know anything about him yet. Yes, I think we can effectively eliminate Golson. Missed the entire camp again. I'm surprised they haven't cut him already. I think I dropped a WR in favor of Hilton.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hargrave is going to be the starter. McCullers hasn't done anything to prove he can handle the job. He's a gigantic mountain of a man but he lacks technique. @ATL96Steeler can confirm, but I sort of remember coach J Mitchell saying something about Walton getting 2nd team reps inside? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong but we had a discussion that essentially boiled down to McCullers chances of making the roster were slim to none.

Hubbard is the guy. He was the backup swing OT last season, and I don't think Hawkins has done enough to earn that job. They still need both Finney & Hubbard because they are capable of playing numerous positions on the line. That sort of flexibility is incredibly valuable. A true backup swing OT like Hawkins or Feiler/Mihalik makes sense. We saw Feiler get the start at LG in PG2 so his position flexibility could be boosting his value as well.

Dangerfield would definitely be the main backup safety. And I'm not all too sure that he shouldn't be considered over Golden. Golden has looked decent in spurts, but lately he has looked pretty bad. Ross continues to impress.

CBs... I have Hilton making the team over Brian Allen as the 6th. But Allen is still in the equation & would be the next man up. And now we have Phillips to consider, but I don't know anything about him yet. Yes, I think we can effectively eliminate Golson. Missed the entire camp again. I'm surprised they haven't cut him already. I think I dropped a WR in favor of Hilton.

NT...no question Hargrave is the starter, is he complete yet? no, but at this point we know McCullers is on thin ice and I have a strong feeling Maxey or a guy from another roster will be on the final 53.

OL...word I'm getting is Hawkins is still in the picture off his last two games, but it's down to Feiler or Hawkins.

CB...I'm starting to think they like Allen enough on ST or as a potential pkg player that 7 might be the number here. Hilton or Sutton will be in the slot. Sensabaugh or Sutton could end up outside in Cockrell's spot.