• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Preseason: Vikings vs Seahawks

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this team HAS put resources into the oline it's just when they start working out or get better they are not resigned or they never improve. I think Britt is the first Olineman they have resigned since Okung ( Unger was signed then traded correct? ) They say the talent level is not as good now coming out of college but there are teams out there that have no issue finding talented Olineman in the later rounds. I think the Hawks just can't scout/pick/coach up a olineman worth a damn lol. I mean even the law of averages say you hit sooner or later so i have a little hope left in Cable but VERY VERY VERY little. He can't always be wrong right? LMAO!
Okung didn't get a 2nd contract here. He was a 1st rounder who got his option picked up, so 5 years of control and then left as a UFA before the '16 season. Unger got extended here, but he wasn't a JS/PC pick. Britt is the first one drafted by the current regime to get a 2nd contract.

Now, to say that players here aren't resigned once they "start working out" is probably debatable. Let's look at the 3 starters we lost: Okung, Carpenter, and Sweezy. Okung was a good player for us, but he wasn't durable. He also had a propensity for pre-snap penalties. I think he was better earlier on in his time here than the last couple years before he left. Stock was going down on him, IMO. Carpenter was less durable and had weight issues. The FO was so impressed with him that they didn't even pick up his 5th year option and let him walk after year 4. He definitely didn't live up to his draft position. Sweezy signed a 5 year, $32M deal with TB last year and didn't play a single game due to a lingering injury while counting $9.5M against the cap. It's hard to say we made the wrong move on any of these players.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung didn't get a 2nd contract here. He was a 1st rounder who got his option picked up, so 5 years of control and then left as a UFA before the '16 season. Unger got extended here, but he wasn't a JS/PC pick. Britt is the first one drafted by the current regime to get a 2nd contract.

Now, to say that players here aren't resigned once they "start working out" is probably debatable. Let's look at the 3 starters we lost: Okung, Carpenter, and Sweezy. Okung was a good player for us, but he wasn't durable. He also had a propensity for pre-snap penalties. I think he was better earlier on in his time here than the last couple years before he left. Stock was going down on him, IMO. Carpenter was less durable and had weight issues. The FO was so impressed with him that they didn't even pick up his 5th year option and let him walk after year 4. He definitely didn't live up to his draft position. Sweezy signed a 5 year, $32M deal with TB last year and didn't play a single game due to a lingering injury while counting $9.5M against the cap. It's hard to say we made the wrong move on any of these players.

Carp was rated as high as the #4 Guard in the NFL for the Jets. Sweezy was getting better was he NOT! no longer here. Okung got Worse under Cables coaching. For a club that doesn't have a knack for picking/coaching oline talent when someone improves even slightly here they have to be resigned or replaced with better talent thats something we have not seen, we have seen people being replaced with lower/less talented players. It's like the whole Gilliam thing. He was abused as a RT and they just brag about how great he will be at LT LMAO i never felt like that, wtf how did they ever even think that really, we all saw just how bad He was. Ifedi is getting ABUSED as our RT also in preseason move him back to Guard. Some times i just wonder what their trying to do. As a long time Seahawks fan i can tell you these olines we have seen are the worse ever for a Seahawks team. Heck i would take the olines from the 90's over this line. You know the 2-14 type teams lol.

this pick up of Tobin from the Eagles helps, a back-up on a pretty good line ( 8th in 2016 ) I expect he will be the starting LG or LT before the Season starts or there soon after, maybe even as our RT. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he turned out to be or 2nd or 3rd best olineman. No i don't think he is good i just think as bad as he is he is better than what we got in some places lol.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carp was rated as high as the #4 Guard in the NFL for the Jets. Sweezy was getting better was he NOT! no longer here. Okung got Worse under Cables coaching. For a club that doesn't have a knack for picking/coaching oline talent when someone improves even slightly here they have to be resigned or replaced with better talent thats something we have not seen, we have seen people being replaced with lower/less talented players. It's like the whole Gilliam thing. He was abused as a RT and they just brag about how great he will be at LT LMAO i never felt like that, wtf how did they ever even think that really, we all saw just how bad He was. Ifedi is getting ABUSED as our RT also in preseason move him back to Guard. Some times i just wonder what their trying to do. As a long time Seahawks fan i can tell you these olines we have seen are the worse ever for a Seahawks team. Heck i would take the olines from the 90's over this line. You know the 2-14 type teams lol.

this pick up of Tobin from the Eagles helps, a back-up on a pretty good line ( 8th in 2016 ) I expect he will be the starting LG or LT before the Season starts or there soon after, maybe even as our RT. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he turned out to be or 2nd or 3rd best olineman. No i don't think he is good i just think as bad as he is he is better than what we got in some places lol.

No, you don't want Tobin starting.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you don't want Tobin starting.

over what?
Sorry but i have seen our edges getting ABUSED so far this preseason, sucks like i said but he very well may turn out to be a starter for us. Our Starters other than Britt on the Oline wouldn't make back-up spots on a team that had the 8th best Oline in the NFL last year. Heck we might not even have a single starter on our line when put up to say the Titans Oline lol let alone back-ups. Britt might be a back-up for the Titans at best :P

Grimm did a great job on that line in his first season, they were looked at as the best oline for 2016. the Titans were ranked 26th in 2015.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too late to trade for joe thomas?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like you want to use hindsight when it suits your argument -- Carp rated #4 with the Jets -- but not when it doesn't -- ignore the fact Sweezy missed the entire '16 season but was "getting better" when he was here.

You wonder sometimes what they're trying to do? JS has mentioned it before -- keep their best players. Carpenter wasn't one of those, which is why they declined to pick up his 5th year option and didn't make much of an effort to re-sign. It really doesn't matter what he did as a Jet because while he was here, he didn't come close to playing to a level that warranted a new contract. And he wasn't durable.

Gotta think they probably had an idea about Sweezy's back issues. Makes throwing big dollars at him a risk. Just ask TB about that.

I would have liked to have seen Okung come back, but the team had no control there and it's just not their nature to grossly overpay to keep guys. He was his own agent and had an inflated perception of his value, which is probably one reason why he's now on his 3rd team in 3 years.

You would rather have the OL from the 1992 team than this one? Are you even old enough to remember how feeble that offense was that year? You're hitting the hyperbole a little too hard.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would rather have the OL from the 1992 team than this one? Are you even old enough to remember how feeble that offense was that year? You're hitting the hyperbole a little too hard.

I am old enough to remember their FIRST game. LT Ray Roberts is better then than any player we got at LT and he was a rookie. Heck and Brilz at right and left Guard is equal or better than we got right now. Hitchcock was a middle of the pack RT and Tofflemire was also a middle of the pack center.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again.

Heh.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over what?
Sorry but i have seen our edges getting ABUSED so far this preseason, sucks like i said but he very well may turn out to be a starter for us. Our Starters other than Britt on the Oline wouldn't make back-up spots on a team that had the 8th best Oline in the NFL last year. Heck we might not even have a single starter on our line when put up to say the Titans Oline lol let alone back-ups. Britt might be a back-up for the Titans at best :P

Grimm did a great job on that line in his first season, they were looked at as the best oline for 2016. the Titans were ranked 26th in 2015.

I've seen enough of Tobin where he got flat out abused on the line. I watch the Eagles when the Hawks aren't playing and trust me when I say Tobin is blah. Every Eagles fan calling the radio station couldn't believe they got a 5th in return for him is saying something and they're having problems with the o-line. Now with that being said maybe a change of scene and a new coaching staff could help Tobin so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough of Tobin where he got flat out abused on the line. I watch the Eagles when the Hawks aren't playing and trust me when I say Tobin is blah. Every Eagles fan calling the radio station couldn't believe they got a 5th in return for him is saying something and they're having problems with the o-line. Now with that being said maybe a change of scene and a new coaching staff could help Tobin so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I think most of our Oline would have got that same style of treatment from Eagle fans had they been there, think about it lol. Sucks to know our Oline has been a laughing stock for what 3 years+.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Who would you offer?

Anyone but the qb at this point. If we dont sort out the ol wilsons career is going to be one of disappointment post SB win.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone but the qb at this point. If we dont sort out the ol wilsons career is going to be one of disappointment post SB win.

Thank goodness he's only got 10 - 15 years still to go.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go the year with a trash OL again we have 0 chance at the SB. You can see it coming from a mile away. One of these years wilson will have a serious injury thanka to the OL.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of our Oline would have got that same style of treatment from Eagle fans had they been there, think about it lol. Sucks to know our Oline has been a laughing stock for what 3 years+.

True, I do get your point.