• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Top 25 Ranking 2017

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon Sports preseason top 25 rankings were just posted today.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2017

I was surprised to see Michigan and LSU ranked so high. I do agree with the high rankings for USC and PSU though.
I think 10-15 seems about right to me. The only thing I'm shocked to see is us ranked above Wisconsin. An unbiased look at our roster, and not just noting how many "starters" we lost, should illustrate Michigan has plenty of returning talent with experience.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame in the top 25 but not Michigan State

#fakenews

Will MSU win at least 1 game in the BIG this year outside of Rutgers? WTF happened last year?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 10-15 seems about right to me. The only thing I'm shocked to see is us ranked above Wisconsin. An unbiased look at our roster, and not just noting how many "starters" we lost, should illustrate Michigan has plenty of returning talent with experience.

Wisconsin has a new D coordinator and a bad QB expected to start (hoping the Freshmen can beat Hornibrook). I think just outside the top ten is a respectable ranking for them.

Yes Michigan did lose more starters than almost any other team. I still believe having 2 great classes should make them competitive for the BIG championship. I'd be shocked if they lost 4+ games as some are projecting.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will MSU win at least 1 game in the BIG this year outside of Rutgers? WTF happened last year?
Apparently all the energy was spent fighting women to get laid. They had nothing left for the field.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has a new D coordinator and a bad QB expected to start (hoping the Freshmen can beat Hornibrook). I think just outside the top ten is a respectable ranking for them.

Yes Michigan did lose more starters than almost any other team. I still believe having 2 great classes should make them competitive for the BIG championship. I'd be shocked if they lost 4+ games as some are projecting.
They are replacing highly talented, experienced players with highly talented, inexperienced players.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Washington

Even though Chris Petersen has to replace a few key cogs from last season’s playoff team, Washington is primed for another run at the Pac-12 title and spot among the nation’s top four teams. Quarterback Jake Browning is back after throwing for 3,430 yards and 43 scores last season, but the junior has to find a new go-to target after the departure of receiver John Ross to the NFL. Dante Pettis (53 catches) moves into the No. 1 role, while the Huskies will be counting on bigger contributions from Chico McClatcher, Ty Jones, Aaron Fuller and Quentin Pounds in the receiving corps. The one-two punch of Myles Gaskin and Lavon Coleman provides plenty of balance and support on offense out of the backfield, while three starters are back on a standout line. The biggest concerns for a repeat trip to the CFB Playoff rest with a defense that loses standout safety Budda Baker, cornerbacks Kevin King and Sidney Jones and lineman Elijah Qualls. However, coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski is one of the best in the nation, and this unit is anchored by standout senior linebacker Azeem Victor. Junior Vita Vea leads the way up front, while the rebuilding effort in the secondary should be minimized thanks to the emergence of cornerbacks Jordan Miller and Byron Murphy in the spring, along with the return of rising star Taylor Rapp at safety. The schedule also sets up for anotherplayoff berth. Washington does not play USC in the regular season and hosts Oregon and Washington State. A trip to Stanford on Nov. 10 is the team’s toughest road test.

Related: Ranking the Pac-12 Coaches for 2017

8da8c303cf249671cf031e74974e4f5c.jpg

Last edited:

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My observations from the B1G and one from the SEC.

I think Michigan is about right at 10

People are going to be paying for not ranking Michigan State ... don't underestimate them

Penn State is rated too high 3 (15-20 is where they should be)

Wisconsin is about right at 12

I hate to agree ohio state is a solid 2

You can never be too wrong when you rank Alabama #1

This in my unbiased opinion (which is rare)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People are going to be paying for not ranking Michigan State ... don't underestimate them

I see 8 wins as the absolute ceiling for this MSU team. 6-7 wins is much more likely.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see 8 wins as the absolute ceiling for this MSU team. 6-7 wins is much more likely.

D'antonio is a very good coach and teams like Michigan State don't take a dive like last year without a little luck (bad luck that is). Excuse me if I don't take Michigan State lightly.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if I agree with that. By the end of the season they were rolling. Knocked off a good Wisconsin team to win the BIG, then should've beat USC who was probably the best in the PAC by the end of season. Not only that, they were somewhere around the top 10 in recruiting.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I agree with that. By the end of the season they were rolling. Knocked off a good Wisconsin team to win the BIG, then should've beat USC who was probably the best in the PAC by the end of season. Not only that, they were somewhere around the top 10 in recruiting.
There's some similarities between USC and Penn State last year. Both started out bad, real bad, and turned it on late in the season.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some similarities between USC and Penn State last year. Both started out bad, real bad, and turned it on late in the season.

Yeah, very similar. I just don't see PSU being that low... in the 7 to 13 range is what I'm thinking.