• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Coaches Poll

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably figured between Riley Cooper and Aaron Hernandez, he should post on a board full of Catholics who are big on forgiveness. :laugh3:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all politics. I bet every sec coach voting, picked every sec team somewhere in the top 25. This way they can say how tough their schedules are. The two biggest problems ND has is that we don't ever get "home" referees, and we don't have any conference coaches with a vested interest in seeing us ranked high.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all politics. I bet every sec coach voting, picked every sec team somewhere in the top 25. This way they can say how tough their schedules are. The two biggest problems ND has is that we don't ever get "home" referees, and we don't have any conference coaches with a vested interest in seeing us ranked high.

That is not true. Given your example, every coach we play would have a vested interest in our rankings helping their SOS. Just so happens that in our situation these coaches aren't all from the same conference.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not true. Given your example, every coach we play would have a vested interest in our rankings helping their SOS. Just so happens that in our situation these coaches aren't all from the same conference.

I disagree. Highly ranked teams get invited to BCS games. BCS teams make $15 million a game (something like that). All conference teams get a split of the bowl money. Highly ranked teams go to bowl games with bigger payouts. Hence every conference team makes out better the more highly ranked teams are in the conference. ND doesn't share their bowl money with anyone, so there isnt a financial benefit to anyone else if ND makes it to a top tier bowl game. The worst team in the SEC will usually make more bowl money than ND, just based on the fact that other SEC teams will get invited to bowl games. If the SEC were to get to 16 teams, they might accumulate half of all the bowl money available. As long as hey keep ranking themselves high in the polls.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Highly ranked teams get invited to BCS games. BCS teams make $15 million a game (something like that). All conference teams get a split of the bowl money. Highly ranked teams go to bowl games with bigger payouts. Hence every conference team makes out better the more highly ranked teams are in the conference. ND doesn't share their bowl money with anyone, so there isnt a financial benefit to anyone else if ND makes it to a top tier bowl game. The worst team in the SEC will usually make more bowl money than ND, just based on the fact that other SEC teams will get invited to bowl games. If the SEC were to get to 16 teams, they might accumulate half of all the bowl money available. As long as hey keep ranking themselves high in the polls.

You're making this about money. Not sure why. My point is coaches who play ND generally would like to see them do well minus the week they square off...call it a vested interest if you will. It helps their SOS boosting computer rankings.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 is pretty good considering Rees is the starting quarterback. He might be the worst quarterback of any team in the top 25.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the Irish should be ranked around 15 mainly due to the quarterback situation. Only one team in about the last fifteen years has started first and ended up first. Preseason polls are much to do about nothing but there still fun to discuss. Last year I believe three or four teams that were ranked in the top ten ended up not ranked at the end of the season.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the Irish should be ranked around 15 mainly due to the quarterback situation. Only one team in about the last fifteen years has started first and ended up first. Preseason polls are much to do about nothing but there still fun to discuss. Last year I believe three or four teams that were ranked in the top ten ended up not ranked at the end of the season.

Yeah ... teams like powerhouse USC ranked #1.

:laugh3::lame::laugh3::lame::laugh3::lame:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making this about money. Not sure why. My point is coaches who play ND generally would like to see them do well minus the week they square off...call it a vested interest if you will. It helps their SOS boosting computer rankings.

You think I'm making it about money? It's always about the money. Yes, coaches that play us get the SOS, but coaches of the sec teams also get the SOS plus the money. If you think it's not about the money, I think you're dreaming. When I call it a vested interest I absolutely mean money.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think I'm making it about money? It's always about the money. Yes, coaches that play us get the SOS, but coaches of the sec teams also get the SOS plus the money. If you think it's not about the money, I think you're dreaming. When I call it a vested interest I absolutely mean money.

Notre Dame does just fine from a financial perspective.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lanememe2.png

Why won't this stupid pic show up?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm ... no offense ... but who really gives a rat's butt about the Florida Gators on the Notre Dame board?

:wtf2:

Sorry; my bad; saw the title which stated coaches poll. Did not know this was a closed session or a Notre Dame board. While I'm here; congrats on a great season last year. Played with great intensity and heart all year. Title game was bad, however, Alabama has been there so many times lately, it gave them an edge. Your guys were not that bad and they were not that good; just a situation where it was a new experience and also have to give Coach Saben credit, he really knows how to prepare for big games. I love Notre Dame football as you guys are one of the very few who do it right and actually graduate a high percentage of the players and you travel the country taking on excellent teams from just about every conference out there. Good luck this year. :suds:

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry; my bad; saw the title which stated coaches poll. Did not know this was a closed session or a Notre Dame board. While I'm here; congrats on a great season last year. Played with great intensity and heart all year. Title game was bad, however, Alabama has been there so many times lately, it gave them an edge. Your guys were not that bad and they were not that good; just a situation where it was a new experience and also have to give Coach Saben credit, he really knows how to prepare for big games. I love Notre Dame football as you guys are one of the very few who do it right and actually graduate a high percentage of the players and you travel the country taking on excellent teams from just about every conference out there. Good luck this year. :suds:

Thank you sir. Your posts are much appreciated.

Smirishth

Smirishth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm perfectly fine with where they stand preseason; honestly don't put muh stock in them these days.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame does just fine from a financial perspective.

That is my point. ND does fine from a financial perspective,but most schools do not. It is crucial for schools like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and others that Alabama, florida, LSU and the other powerhouses get to the top bowl games, because they get a cut. And not just in the SEC. Wake Forest needs Florida State, Clemson and V Tech to be ranked high, and Colorado needs Oregon and USC. My point is that coaches have their own agenda, and that is why the selection committee for the coming college playoff is so important.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point. ND does fine from a financial perspective,but most schools do not. It is crucial for schools like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and others that Alabama, florida, LSU and the other powerhouses get to the top bowl games, because they get a cut. And not just in the SEC. Wake Forest needs Florida State, Clemson and V Tech to be ranked high, and Colorado needs Oregon and USC. My point is that coaches have their own agenda, and that is why the selection committee for the coming college playoff is so important.

Well if that is your point that isn't what you posted.

1) It's all politics
2) Every SEC coach picked every SEC team in the top 25 (which isn't true)
3) One of the two biggest problems is not having "home" referees. (which isn't true)
4) Suggested, or biggest problem number 2 if you will, that not playing in a conference hurts our vote in the coaches poll. I'm not buying that either.

But yes, sucky college football teams get too much money, absorbing up what their conference "earns". That you correct.

Losing EG, insert Tommy, is what hurt our ranking the most. And that is fair, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if that is your point that isn't what you posted.

1) It's all politics
2) Every SEC coach picked every SEC team in the top 25 (which isn't true)
3) One of the two biggest problems is not having "home" referees. (which isn't true)
4) Suggested, or biggest problem number 2 if you will, that not playing in a conference hurts our vote in the coaches poll. I'm not buying that either.

But yes, sucky college football teams get too much money, absorbing up what their conference "earns". That you correct.

Losing EG, insert Tommy, is what hurt our ranking the most. And that is fair, imo.

So you think we have home referees? And you don't think the "sucky" teams will vote in a way that will generate the most income for them. And that we have to play with big ten refs when Michigan comes to town because it saves us money. And the NCAA doesn't care about money, and urban Meyer is really going to suspend his top running back for the season. And Eddie vandodoses grandma is really sick.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about?

maize77blue

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when you guy's come to Michigan we uses your home referees that are from the big east! And vice verse for your home games that they uses big ten referees. It isn't about money at all? Just throwing my 2 cents in. Sorry but I have to sent it straight here is a link if you don't believe me:
Big East Officials For ND-UM

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when you guy's come to Michigan we uses your home referees that are from the big east! And vice verse for your home games that they uses big ten referees. It isn't about money at all? Just throwing my 2 cents in. Sorry but I have to sent it straight here is a link if you don't believe me:
Big East Officials For ND-UM

So you think the Big East likes ND? They blame us for the destruction of the conference. Had we agreed to be a full member, they'd probably still have Miami, Fla. State, and BC. I doubt if anyone in the Big East would like to see ND win a single game this year. Even in the past, we had the opportunity to take one of the Big East's tie-ins for bowl games. That cost the league's teams even more money, and even further pissed them off. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather go with Big Ten refs than Big East refs.

And for people who think this isn't really an issue, the fact that which refs get used is a point that needs to be negotiated, and reported in the press, is evidence of how important it is. I just wish we had a group that had some interest in ND's success.