• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict the Stars and Busts of this Upcoming Draft

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is extremely hyped and some has slightly died but it is still a very deep draft class coming up. So who do you think will shine and who will fail?

Stars:
1. Andrew Wiggins - I believe he's the flat out most talented player in the draft but still needs work. In 3-4 years I believe he will be an elite player in the NBA.

2. Jabari Parker - A bit more polished than Wiggins with the same endless potential. I believe he will win ROY... if he enters the draft which looks like he will

3. Marcus Smart - his stock has slipped dramatically but his frame and talent are too good to overlook. I believe he can be an elite guard.

Busts:

1. Joel Embiid - We've all heard the comparison to Hakeem Olajuwan. But the back issue is a huge red flag to me. And the "once in a generation " label is applied to all these big men who end up suffering injuries throughout their careers.

2. Dante Exum - Every foreign player these days is pegged the next "Dirk" or "Tony Parker". I believe he will either be a superstar or a flat out bust, no tolerance player or solid starter in between.

3. Julius Randle - Plays no defense and needs to improve his shot. Don't think he will be a great NBA player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put Smart in the bust category and Embiid's health is what will determine his fate. If he stays healthy then he could be an absolute beast... but back issues this early in his career are definitely a concern.

I agree with Exum and Randle as potential busts. Exum is a question mark, and Randle's peripherals suggest that he may be vastly overrated.

It's such a deep class that I think there will end up being at least 1 or 2 all-stars taken outside of the top 10 and plenty of good role players and starters will be available in the first 20 picks or so.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Embid as as bust. He is either going to be Greg Oden (injuries will hurt his career) or turn into Hasheem Thabeet (who just flat out suck). I agree about Exum as I'm not a big fan of international players especially as lottery picks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not completely sold on Wiggins. His jumper lacks consistency, particularly inside the arc. And to me he doesn't seem quite as NBA ready as Parker is for instance. I can see his desire for wanting to go in the NBA but I think it would benefit him a LOT if he stayed in college another year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay in college, tear an ACL and end up being a late 1st rounder next year? When you're a lottery pick you take the money and run

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay in college, tear an ACL and end up being a late 1st rounder next year? When you're a lottery pick you take the money and run

Is that guaranteed?

How many players have we seen in the league who should have had a longer college career? Kobe could have benefited from a few years in college. He would have gone from 13th pick in '96 to 1st in '99. Lance Stephenson is a more recent one. 40th pick overall and declared himself way too early.

It works backwards too though. Joe Smith in '95 and Jonny Flynn in '09 are good examples of what could potentially happen to Wiggins.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Smart would've been a top 3 pick last year. This year he shoved a fan, got a reputation for being a flopper and has seen his stock decrease rather than increase after his sophomore year. I mean... it doesn't even take an injury to set you back.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to chill out on Embiid being "injury prone" until we actually get more info on what the actual issues are. If its just a stress fracture, that kind of stuff will heal with time and he'll be good to go. If you want to call him injury prone, you need to look for degenerative conditions. This is what Oden's problems where. He had some degenerative red flags coming out. And on top of that, he moved and ran awkwardly, which places even more stress on ligaments and bones. As far as movement is concerned, I have seen nothing to indicate Embiid is even remotely close to that. In fact, his movements are almost effortless and for someone who has only been playing for 3 years, he looks like a natural.

The player imo with the most "bust" potential imo is Marcus Smart. He cannot shoot. Period. He's going to have to go the Rondo route and possibly take a few years to develop a useful jump shot. But unlike Rondo, I don't see Smart having good court vision either. Much of his game relies strictly on athleticism. I don't think he'll be a flat out bust, but I think he's a hell of a lot closer to being just a useful role player than he is to being all-star caliber.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switch Smart and Embiid and I agree.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to chill out on Embiid being "injury prone" until we actually get more info on what the actual issues are. If its just a stress fracture, that kind of stuff will heal with time and he'll be good to go. If you want to call him injury prone, you need to look for degenerative conditions. This is what Oden's problems where. He had some degenerative red flags coming out. And on top of that, he moved and ran awkwardly, which places even more stress on ligaments and bones. As far as movement is concerned, I have seen nothing to indicate Embiid is even remotely close to that. In fact, his movements are almost effortless and for someone who has only been playing for 3 years, he looks like a natural.

The player imo with the most "bust" potential imo is Marcus Smart. He cannot shoot. Period. He's going to have to go the Rondo route and possibly take a few years to develop a useful jump shot. But unlike Rondo, I don't see Smart having good court vision either. Much of his game relies strictly on athleticism. I don't think he'll be a flat out bust, but I think he's a hell of a lot closer to being just a useful role player than he is to being all-star caliber.

:10::10:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever the Cavs select will probably be a bust.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with wild turkey.

The embiid talk is way to early. And no way if healthy he ends up Hasheem thabeet. The kid can play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with wild turkey.

The embiid talk is way to early. And no way if healthy he ends up Hasheem thabeet. The kid can play.

Yeah, the back is a concern, but any NBA team considering drafting him will have doctors go over everything with a fine tooth comb to determine whether it's likely to be an issue throughout his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Busts:

Whoever the Cavs, Wizards, Bucks, Pistons, and Raptors pick