• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict the B1G

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you walked into the middle of this conversation, so let me get you up to speed.

So yeah, conference championships are the debate here. Bama wins conference championships, OSU has had a tough time winning them recently. The bucks still make the playoffs though, and that is way better anyway.
I understand that part. It doesn't change the fact that OSU and Bama have been equally as dominant in their conferences over the past 5 years. If OSU went to the CCG last year (ya know, like if your stupid team didn't choke vs. Iowa), we likely would've beaten Wisconsin, considering we managed to beat them in their own house earlier in the year. The year before, OSU would've smoked Iowa, who was dramatically underchallenged during the regular season. It's the way the ball bounces. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. You're right, OSU has fucked up in small yet monumental ways in regards to winning CC's though.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You definitely won't see me talking up UM this year. We have no idea what to expect at multiple positions and will rely on true freshman at a few positions. The easiest to replace, IMO, is OL. With the amount of training and the ridiculous size the guys come in at now -- I'm not overly worried about that position -- especially with the guys who are fighting for the spots have been in the program a year.

With QB, especially in college, arm strength is the least of your worries. It is between the ears and being able to handle the pressure, while making the right decisions. You know who had the strongest arm on Michigan the last 3 years? Shane Morris. You can have all the intangibles and skill sets in the world, but if you don't have it between the ears, it doesn't matter. And the reason Barrett looked shaky last year is simple -- his WR's couldn't get any separation. It is why their offense lived and died with Curtis Samuel in the passing game.

And I agree it is easier for DB than WR, which is why I said OSU is going to have the same issues at WR as UM. They are starting all new guys. And I used the 7 on 7 as an example because it is a WR/DB (other than the obvious, the QB) showcase. You are in man coverage. For most of the WR's -- it is their first time facing elite DB's on a national stage with everyone watching. It is the main reason why I'm excited about Oliver Martin. He torched the best of the best DB's at the opening. That is why he shot up the rankings.

And I have no doubt a new coordinator will help the offense. I think you are going a little overboard on him though. Indiana threw for a lot of yards because they were losing the majority of their games. I'd welcome OSU to go to IU's offense, much easier to defend than what you already run. That being said -- it is all about route running. If you can't get open, it doesn't matter what offense you run or what QB is throwing the ball. You don't need 4.4 speed in college to be a great college WR. If you can run crisp routes, you will get open. OSU struggled with that last year. If the OC can fix that -- I have no doubt OSU will be tough to beat for anyone.
We differ dramatically on OL. Like QB, so much of it is between the ears. We've seen physical specimens all over college football, and even in the NFL, fail miserably on the OL. You have to have a very specific demeanor, and some guys simply don't have it. A time they rarely have it is when they're brought in with a bunch of other new guys and are expected to play at an elite level right away - which is what the expectations are at michigan.

Arm strength is a concern for a lot of simple throws, though. Some of Barrett's issues last year were on simple out patterns. He had to put more arm into it because he simply isn't that strong, which led to WAY too many overthrows and throws that were nowhere near the mark. Burrow and Haskins have arm strength to lend in comparison.

I'm interested in seeing this Martin kid play. I could see him being really good, same with Tarik Black. Come 2018, if you guys have the QB position solved, you're going to be scary on offense without a doubt.

You're right about Indiana, but it's not like they were getting blown out every game. Last year, 5 of their 7 losses were by 10 points or less. Same thing in 2015. Wilson is one of the top offensive minds in college football. He made Sam Bradford into who he is, and he turned Indiana into one of the top offenses in the B1G. Now he has more talent than he's ever had. If OSU doesn't average 48+ points per game this year, I'll be extremely surprised. They've got high end talent at every single position. Plus, as I've mentioned before, it's not like we return no experience at WR. It pains me to think of what guys like KJ Hill, Marcus Baugh, and Bin Victor could've done last year with Wilson at the helm.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Wisconsin fans are proud of their 2012 "Conference Championship"? My guess would be no considering it's the worst year they've had during this time frame. Ohio State was the best B1G team in 2012.
I wasn't happy during the year, but the pasting of Nebraska was fun, and I got Rose Bowl tickets on the 40 yard line, row 25 or so for $50...so it wasn't all bad... Plus OSU cheated and they paid their penance...that's how it goes

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@OregonDucks when was the first time they made you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"? 7th grade I hope. I don't know how Oregon public schools work. I read it all the way through at 6. Are you doing okay? I just wonder, because you still display the insight of a 3rd grader. It concerns the fuck out of me. I don't want to see Betsy DeVos clones.

LOL

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think even the most hard core Ohio State fan would admit they weren't the best team in the B1G in 2010.

Why not? They had the best overall record. Beat the SEC runner up in the Sugar Bowl and was ranked higher than any other BIG team in all the polls. I know your argument. But Ohio State beat Iowa, Iowa beat Michigan State and Michigan State beat Wisconsin.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I can't believe I just spent the last half hour taking a pro Ohio State stance...where's the soap.

lol...You certainly can't take Michigan's side. I miss ND vs Michigan; If Dave Brandon were in front of me right now I would punch him in the mouth.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience 5s thru 7s get the most run because dudes aren't scared to talk to them and most of them have low self esteem. I like to find the 9 that's hangoing out with a bunch of 5s and go talk to them. If I completely ignore the 9. That usually leads to them becoming more insecure ( which is why she's hanging out with 5s in the first place ). That generally leads where you want it to lead lol

Give me a number? 5 thru 7 and 8-10. doesn't have to be exact just a guesstimate. and yes a BJ is sex.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We differ dramatically on OL. Like QB, so much of it is between the ears. We've seen physical specimens all over college football, and even in the NFL, fail miserably on the OL. You have to have a very specific demeanor, and some guys simply don't have it. A time they rarely have it is when they're brought in with a bunch of other new guys and are expected to play at an elite level right away - which is what the expectations are at michigan.

Arm strength is a concern for a lot of simple throws, though. Some of Barrett's issues last year were on simple out patterns. He had to put more arm into it because he simply isn't that strong, which led to WAY too many overthrows and throws that were nowhere near the mark. Burrow and Haskins have arm strength to lend in comparison.

I'm interested in seeing this Martin kid play. I could see him being really good, same with Tarik Black. Come 2018, if you guys have the QB position solved, you're going to be scary on offense without a doubt.

You're right about Indiana, but it's not like they were getting blown out every game. Last year, 5 of their 7 losses were by 10 points or less. Same thing in 2015. Wilson is one of the top offensive minds in college football. He made Sam Bradford into who he is, and he turned Indiana into one of the top offenses in the B1G. Now he has more talent than he's ever had. If OSU doesn't average 48+ points per game this year, I'll be extremely surprised. They've got high end talent at every single position. Plus, as I've mentioned before, it's not like we return no experience at WR. It pains me to think of what guys like KJ Hill, Marcus Baugh, and Bin Victor could've done last year with Wilson at the helm.

The only OL position where between the ears is a difference maker is Center. They are the one responsible for making the line calls at the line of scrimmage. The other OL spots is about technique and knowing the blocking schemes. It is why we see so many freshman OL coming and earning starting spots at big time programs. The private position coaches and personal trainers these kids go see have them ready to basically step on the field. UM's 2 big OL recruits this year were Cesar Ruiz and Chuck Filiaga. They are 6'4" 325 and 6'6" 335 lbs. Those guys are giants already. Michael Onewu played OL and DL last year as a true freshman at 6'4" 360 lbs -- he will be one of the OG this year. I agree it takes an OL to gel playing together though. Which is why I said I don't UM OL will be better to start the year, but as they play more together they have way more upside than why we had.

I agree arm strength can help on certain throws, but there is a reason why a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning dominated in the NFL. They are two of the smartest guys to ever play the position. They don't have the strongest arm, they aren't fast. But they know where to go with the ball and they are extremely accurate. What they must have is someone open to throw the ball too though. If OSU establishes a dep threat in their offense, it opens it up for all the other WR's. OSU didn't have that last year and it hurt OSU, especially against teams with any kind of secondary. They can get by on talent alone against lesser teams, but when you line talent up across from talent, you have to be able to get separation to succeed. A great example is Jake Butt. He isn't fast. He isn't flashy, but he runs great routes and creates separation.

At WR -- I'm just saying don't get down if OSU has issues to start the year. I'm sure it will happen. UM has an enormous amount of talent at WR from this year and last year -- I still am not expecting a ton from them. Until they show it on the field on Saturday's -- it is nothing more than practice performing. Everyone can run in college -- the guys who elevate their game are the guys who perfect all the little things. Getting off the line of scrimmage, crisp route running, hand fighting, high pointing the ball, etc. I like Oliver Martin because he is a guy who seems to do all the little things right. Also, I'd love to see a white guy perform at a skill position.

I think you guys are going to be extremely tough to beat this year. I wish Michigan played OSU when Oklahoma does instead of the end of the year, when all that talent has time with a new OC and Barrett has time to build a repoire with his WD's.

I wish you guys TE best of luck this year, except against us. I don't have high hopes for UM yet, it is going to be a year of building for 2018 I think. I see 8,9 wins, unless a half dozen freshman come in and go beast mode. :pound:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a number? 5 thru 7 and 8-10. doesn't have to be exact just a guesstimate. and yes a BJ is sex.
Mid 100s like 150ish. Mostly 6-8s per typical. Had a great college run and a spectacular run after my divorce a few years back. I was off the market age 24-35 otherwise it'd be wayyyyy higher. My ex is a 9 abd my current fiancee is a 9 bordering a 10. I've had a few no pride nights ( fucking booze ) lol but less than most guys

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only OL position where between the ears is a difference maker is Center. They are the one responsible for making the line calls at the line of scrimmage. The other OL spots is about technique and knowing the blocking schemes. It is why we see so many freshman OL coming and earning starting spots at big time programs. The private position coaches and personal trainers these kids go see have them ready to basically step on the field. UM's 2 big OL recruits this year were Cesar Ruiz and Chuck Filiaga. They are 6'4" 325 and 6'6" 335 lbs. Those guys are giants already. Michael Onewu played OL and DL last year as a true freshman at 6'4" 360 lbs -- he will be one of the OG this year. I agree it takes an OL to gel playing together though. Which is why I said I don't UM OL will be better to start the year, but as they play more together they have way more upside than why we had.

I agree arm strength can help on certain throws, but there is a reason why a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning dominated in the NFL. They are two of the smartest guys to ever play the position. They don't have the strongest arm, they aren't fast. But they know where to go with the ball and they are extremely accurate. What they must have is someone open to throw the ball too though. If OSU establishes a dep threat in their offense, it opens it up for all the other WR's. OSU didn't have that last year and it hurt OSU, especially against teams with any kind of secondary. They can get by on talent alone against lesser teams, but when you line talent up across from talent, you have to be able to get separation to succeed. A great example is Jake Butt. He isn't fast. He isn't flashy, but he runs great routes and creates separation.

At WR -- I'm just saying don't get down if OSU has issues to start the year. I'm sure it will happen. UM has an enormous amount of talent at WR from this year and last year -- I still am not expecting a ton from them. Until they show it on the field on Saturday's -- it is nothing more than practice performing. Everyone can run in college -- the guys who elevate their game are the guys who perfect all the little things. Getting off the line of scrimmage, crisp route running, hand fighting, high pointing the ball, etc. I like Oliver Martin because he is a guy who seems to do all the little things right. Also, I'd love to see a white guy perform at a skill position.

I think you guys are going to be extremely tough to beat this year. I wish Michigan played OSU when Oklahoma does instead of the end of the year, when all that talent has time with a new OC and Barrett has time to build a repoire with his WD's.

I wish you guys TE best of luck this year, except against us. I don't have high hopes for UM yet, it is going to be a year of building for 2018 I think. I see 8,9 wins, unless a half dozen freshman come in and go beast mode. :pound:
The ones that come in and play right away on the line, though, are only the ultra-elite types of prospects. You make a lot of good points, and I'll be damned if I can't admit you guys brought in some studs on the OL in this year's class. It's another reason why I feel like 2018 is gonna be a huge year for you guys. A lot of elite talent beginning to come into its own without a lot of turnover.

I still find it very hard to believe that our WRs last year were just such horrible athletes that were unable to gain separation. It's very easy for a defense to read routes when your OC doesn't adjust anything. If we had Wilson last year, things would be very different. We'd of been employing multiple looks, and also incorporating the TE much more. Throwing the same formations and patterns out simply makes it easy to know how to cover a guy. I'll say that I think Noah Brown was not a great athlete (not upset that he left; not sold on his effort). Victor is a superior talent with a much higher ceiling. Samuel was elite, but thankfully we have plenty more guys with his skillset.

Can't wait to play you guys in 2018 in Columbus. I can guarantee you that I will be there for that one. May be even better than 2006, honestly.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones that come in and play right away on the line, though, are only the ultra-elite types of prospects. You make a lot of good points, and I'll be damned if I can't admit you guys brought in some studs on the OL in this year's class. It's another reason why I feel like 2018 is gonna be a huge year for you guys. A lot of elite talent beginning to come into its own without a lot of turnover.

I still find it very hard to believe that our WRs last year were just such horrible athletes that were unable to gain separation. It's very easy for a defense to read routes when your OC doesn't adjust anything. If we had Wilson last year, things would be very different. We'd of been employing multiple looks, and also incorporating the TE much more. Throwing the same formations and patterns out simply makes it easy to know how to cover a guy. I'll say that I think Noah Brown was not a great athlete (not upset that he left; not sold on his effort). Victor is a superior talent with a much higher ceiling. Samuel was elite, but thankfully we have plenty more guys with his skillset.

Can't wait to play you guys in 2018 in Columbus. I can guarantee you that I will be there for that one. May be even better than 2006, honestly.

I agree about the elite guys playing right off the bat on the OL. The reason they are elite though, is they've already had advanced coaching and they are the size of mountains. Of course the guys ranked a little lower can come in and put on 20-30 lbs of muscles and become great players after a year or two in a college strength program.

The reason I'm not overly worried with the OL is the guys coming in are bigger and more athletic than the guys who left. I can't wait to see Michael Onwenu -- he is a giant and at 360 lbs, athletic enough they used him on the DL last year too. Bredeson was a fringe 5 star and started as a true freshman. I think UM is building the OL to be the type of team they want, but haven't been able to. A team that pounds the ball and wears teams down. UM has been a passing team out of necessity, because running wasn't an option against some teams.

With the WR's -- good WR's rely on god given talent to make plays. Great WR Use their talent and route running to get separation and break off big plays. Elite WR's have the total package -- God given talent, route running, hand fighting, ability to get off the line of scrimmage, etc.
Prior to last year -- OSU had elite WR's. Last year, they had receivers with a lot of god given talent, but not a lot of the characteristics needed to be an elite WR. It isn't to say those coming up won't become elite -- I'm just saying to give them time and don't pin it on the OC if they struggle a bit early. With Curtis Samuel -- I think you are underestimating the talent he brought to the table -- not only the intelligence to handle playing multiple positions, by t to do so at an extremely high level and as he showed at the combine, he was one of the fastest players in CFB and one of the quickest. Replacing his skill set would be like saying you will just replace Zeke Elliot or replace Devin Smith (? I think that was his name - the dude that avg like 30 yards a catch). It'd be like UM saying we r going to replace Peppers, but guys like those I named have unique skill sets and elite athleticism and they leave big holes when they leave.

I agree wholeheartedly in 2018 and each year going forward. I think UM and OSU will be battling each year. OSU will be tough to beat with the classes they continue bringing in, but UM is trying to keep pace.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After taking a look...Minny returns 4 of their 5 starters on their oline...and they weren't that bad last year...so if they can get a qb to make a few plays on 3rd down for them, they might have something for the west

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After taking a look...Minny returns 4 of their 5 starters on their oline...and they weren't that bad last year...so if they can get a qb to make a few plays on 3rd down for them, they might have something for the west

With Tim Brewster Jr. as our coach, we're more likely to go 0-12 than win the West. Sadly you folks will get to enjoy the Axe for a few more years until we fire the clown and get a real coach.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chocolate Cracka' got this.

15203194_620202574853968_4518840938408596626_n.jpg