• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

..... Power 5 Undefeateds & CFP ???

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring the example of a year when there are five undefeated Power 5 conference champs, should an undefeated Power 5 champ always make the Playoff?

[not counting independents going undefeated]

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForeverNole10

Barring the example of a year when there are five undefeated Power 5 conference champs, should an undefeated Power 5 champ always make the Playoff?

Absolutely, they SHOULD, but I'm not sure they always will. Unfortunately i think preseason perceptions play too much of a role. This year is the perfect example with Duke. I know they lost already but theoretically if they hadn't lost to Miami, i think they would be no higher than #13. I think Baylor and all them would still be above them to this point. Duke has no more marque games, and hasn't had any since. Now imagine if FSU had lost any one of the many games they were trailing in. I think if Duke were to be 12-0 going into the ACCCG, and beat a not undefeated team from the other conference, they would definitely not be in, no chance.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Example:
Let's say that this year ended up like this:

Oregon [undefeated]
TCU [undefeated]
Miss St [undefeated]
Auburn [1 loss to Miss St]
Duke [undefeated]
MSU [2-loss champ]
Independents [each w/ 2 losses or more]]

Who goes to Playoff?

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, they SHOULD, but I'm not sure they always will. Unfortunately i think preseason perceptions play too much of a role. This year is the perfect example with Duke. I know they lost already but theoretically if they hadn't lost to Miami, i think they would be no higher than #13. I think Baylor and all them would still be above them to this point. Duke has no more marque games, and hasn't had any since. Now imagine if FSU had lost any one of the many games they were trailing in. I think if Duke were to be 12-0 going into the ACCCG, and beat a not undefeated team from the other conference, they would definitely not be in, no chance.

pinch poke, you owe me a coke.

F

ForeverNole10

Example:
Let's say that this year ended up like this:

Oregon [undefeated]
TCU [undefeated]
Miss St [undefeated]
Auburn [1 loss to Miss St]
Duke [undefeated]
MSU [2-loss champ]
Independents [each w/ 2 losses or more]]

Who goes to Playoff?

Perfect you and i were thinking the same thing with Duke. Absolutely Oregon, TCU, Miss. St., and Auburn would be going.:10:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[not counting independents going undefeated]

"LMAO! Look at how much the SEC is in your head."
-- Team SEC

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect you and i were thinking the same thing with Duke. Absolutely Oregon, TCU, Miss. St., and Auburn would be going.:10:
I wrote at the beginning of the year that there might be one good thing to come out of the Committee system, and I would hope that would play out in this scenario:

Duke would be ranked below all the undefeateds and one-loss teams mentioned above the entire year... then in the last week, after Duke actually wins the Conference, the Committee would jump them over Auburn in the Final Poll.

Some fans would lose their shit, but that kind of "correction" would be the one good thing to come from a small committee structure

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get more opinions on this one.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote at the beginning of the year that there might be one good thing to come out of the Committee system, and I would hope that would play out in this scenario:

Duke would be ranked below all the undefeateds and one-loss teams mentioned above the entire year... then in the last week, after Duke actually wins the Conference, the Committee would jump them over Auburn in the Final Poll.

Some fans would lose their shit, but that kind of "correction" would be the one good thing to come from a small committee structure

That would be awesome.

Hell, at the moment they're behind eight teams with 2 losses. I know they haven't played a world-beater schedule but damn, neither have some of the other teams ahead of them. Including my Baillur Bayers.

If they actually won out and knocked off FSU, even a vulnerable FSU, I don't see how you keep them out of the playoff.

Sadly, i don't think they're as good as vulnerable FSU, and that is why everyone in the rankings has them so low, because they don't really believe Duke can win out and beat the Noles, either. I'd be happy to be wrong on this.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not as an automatic rule. It's still quite possible, especially in the largest conferences, for a team to go through a schedule playing only one or two real teams. There should be enough leeway for extremely light schedules to be penalized enough that a team that's lost one less game can jump them if their schedule has been rigorous enough. If record alone is enough, you reinforce Baylor type non conference schedules.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke would go, I don't believe they want to see a replay. They would be 13-0 as well, compared to Auburn's 11-1.

I think it's an easy call.

Now if it was Georgia, that lost to Miss St in the CG, possibly would have the committee doing flips.