• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potlucks... what do you bring?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work with almost all wimen folk at my job, and even though we let them out of the kitchen these days a lot of these suzie homemakers love to cook and they insist on doing potlucks at work at least every couple months. These women all say "oh just bring whatever" or somebody needs to bring plates. But then they judge you as a person based on what you do bring. Its awfully stressful.

A couple years ago i did some gourmet ish deviled eggs. I loved them. But people complained about the smoked salmon smell especially and i had a ton of leftovers. Wont be doing that one again.

Then i stole a candied bacon recipe fdom my brother. Again delicious. But then i was "that guy" that brought bacon. Plus i bought a couple pounds of thick cut bacon. But it seemed like a lot of the first people grabbed several whole slices worth. More than half the people said they didnt get anything and im pretty sure i spent more than anyone else there. Wont be doing that one again.

The last couple times i have perfected a recipe for brie en croute in a crockpot. So far i have been proposed to 2-3 times, people have compared it to crack. Others have complained i killed their diet because they couldnt stop eating it. The thing is though, i don't even like brie myself.

Not sure I'm gonna be "allowed" to not bring my cheese next time, so if I do I'm going to have to replace it with another winner. Anybody got one of those dishes that people demand you bring to every event?

Recipe for baked brie;
2 cans pillsbury crescent rolls.
2 wheels of brie
1 jar pear preserves
A couple handfuls of pistachio nuts.

Open the cans of dough. This scares me every time. Its the worst part of the recipe, but still better than making dough from scratch. It breaks apart into 2 squares of 4 triangles each. Smooth out the perforations on each square so its a solid piece of dough.
Spread pear preserves over the bottom.
put thqt in the bottom of a caserole dish that is slightly larger than your wheels of cheese.
Slice your wheels of cheese in half so that you have 4 thinner wheels of cheese.
Put one down on the pear preserves on the dough.
Spread pears on that.
Put another wheel on top of that.
Spread pears.
Another wheel
More pears
Last wheel of brie.
Last layer of preserves.
Now crush up some shelled pistachios and sprinkle them across the pear preserves.
Open the second can of dough and wrap it around the wheels of cheese so that its pretty sealed in. Then put the last square on top.

If you want to serve it on a plate do 2 separate wrapped wheels and make sure they're sealed up and pretty looking. I've found its way easier to just put it in a casserole dish and not worry so much about looks.

Throw the casserole dish into a crockpot and cook it on high for 2:30-3 hours on high before serving time. Or pre cook it in the oven for like 30 mins at 375ish and then just keep it warm inbthe crockpot. It easily stays good for 3+ hours as people in the hospital eat in shifts and then go back as snacks.

I also did cranberry and pecans at Christmas this year but people said the pear was much better. Next time i make it im definitely doing apples preserves or apple butter or something and walnuts.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get requests for homemade salsa, crockpot meatballs (seriously- frozen meatballs simmered in bbq sauce :L), taco dip, spinach dip, bacon wrapped jalepeños (thanks @ladyrockess ), sugar cookies and potato salad.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
il_fullxfull.102456213.jpg

I am not a fan of most peoples cooking. I do like the candied bacon idea though. I love candied bacon!

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cevapi- Euro sausage
Salad-Feta cheese,tomatoes,onion,garlic

Same stuff for over 15 years here.Everyone loves it

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takes 10 minutes.
Everybody loves it.
You can say it's homemade.
It's cheap.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mashed Cauliflower (more of dairy dish than vegetable. Goes over well)
Taco Lasagna (yeah, fuckin bomb.)
Cheesy Potatoes
Meatballs (cream of mushroom)
Lemon Bars
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Brownies
Beer

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mashed Cauliflower (more of dairy dish than vegetable. Goes over well)
Taco Lasagna (yeah, fuckin bomb.)
Cheesy Potatoes
Meatballs (cream of mushroom)
Lemon Bars
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Brownies
Beer
200.webp

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go to them. After seeing how many guys exit the bathroom without washing their hands, I'm not touching any of that food.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caint see, but I imagine the IMG is awesome Taco Lasagna?
No, goddamnit. My cute little sloth wants to know more about this "Taco Lasagna".

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, goddamnit. My cute little sloth wants to know more about this "Taco Lasagna".

I imagine this is one of those scenarios where the order of words is very important. A taco lasagna is likely markedly different from a lasagna taco.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine this is one of those scenarios where the order of words is very important. A taco lasagna is likely markedly different from a lasagna taco.
tenor.gif

(almost literally my reaction when I did the math on that statement!)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than pasta, we've got tortilla. If my Dad will be doing any eating, corn tortillas. If not, flour. As gluten is trying to kill him.

I "butter" the tortillas with refried beans, excluding the bottom of the bottom one. Then a little layer of rice. Spanish, Mexican or plain ol white with some cilantro and lime, it fluctuates for me. There's no real recipe of rules. So whatever you prefer goes.

I fry up a pound or two of taco meat. I like to dice up some onion and green peppers right in the meat. Jalapeños, red and yellow peppers too, what ever you want to have in your meat really. Not tomatoes for me, as they're gross.

Cheese, cheese and lots more cheese. I like cheese, a lot. So it's in every layer, but personal
Preference is key here.

Tortilla
Beans
Rice
Meat
Cheese

Repeat

Sometimes I mix a can of corn in with the meat,(nobody has called me out on a lack of fresh corn yet) sometimes mushrooms, whatever you feel like going with but the more veggies the better imo. Sometimes I'll go with a layer of queso fresco or nacho cheese in the middle. Sometimes a little of either on top. I like a certain amount of sharp cheddar in there, but that's just me. And like any good casserole, you gotta crush up some chips on top. I'll get a little wild and go with Doritos sometimes. Lol. And of course cheese. Lots of cheese. Several types, atleast.

Bake that sucker around 300 - 325 until it all looks nice and bubbly but before the top wants to burn. Maybe 20-30, depending on desired fineness and amount of cheese on top. Have some salsa, sour cream and sauces on the side when you serve. Then eat it with a fork just like lasagna with chips on the side rather than bread.

Started playing around with it in college when a friend wanted Lasagna but I didn't have any noodles. I love it and get yelled at if I don't bring it to certain family functions.

I'll take a pic next time I make it.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than pasta, we've got tortilla. If my Dad will be doing any eating, corn tortillas. If not, flour. As gluten is trying to kill him.

I "butter" the tortillas with refried beans, excluding the bottom of the bottom one. Then a little layer of rice. Spanish, Mexican or plain ol white with some cilantro and lime, it fluctuates for me. There's no real recipe of rules. So whatever you prefer goes.

I fry up a pound or two of taco meat. I like to dice up some onion and green peppers right in the meat. Jalapeños, red and yellow peppers too, what ever you want to have in your meat really. Not tomatoes for me, as they're gross.

Cheese, cheese and lots more cheese. I like cheese, a lot. So it's in every layer, but personal
Preference is key here.

Tortilla
Beans
Rice
Meat
Cheese

Repeat

Sometimes I mix a can of corn in with the meat,(nobody has called me out on a lack of fresh corn yet) sometimes mushrooms, whatever you feel like going with but the more veggies the better imo. Sometimes I'll go with a layer of queso fresco or nacho cheese in the middle. Sometimes a little of either on top. I like a certain amount of sharp cheddar in there, but that's just me. And like any good casserole, you gotta crush up some chips on top. I'll get a little wild and go with Doritos sometimes. Lol. And of course cheese. Lots of cheese. Several types, atleast.

Bake that sucker around 300 - 325 until it all looks nice and bubbly but before the top wants to burn. Maybe 20-30, depending on desired fineness and amount of cheese on top. Have some salsa, sour cream and sauces on the side when you serve. Then eat it with a fork just like lasagna with chips on the side rather than bread.

Started playing around with it in college when a friend wanted Lasagna but I didn't have any noodles. I love it and get yelled at if I don't bring it to certain family functions.

I'll take a pic next time I make it.
I think I'm in love.

Except the mushroom part. You can keep that shit to yourself.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easy thing for me is pulled pork. It's cheap, holds up really well as a 'left over' (not served hot off the smoker), easy to take to any event and can be heated up many different ways incl microwave, and can still make a huge impact depending on your sauce. Vegans? Fuck you. Bring your own rabbit food you fucking commie bastards.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-4-23_9-21-51.jpeg
Ingredients
  1. 1/3 cup Sour Cream.
  2. 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise.
  3. Salt And Pepper.
  4. 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar.
  5. 4 cups Frozen Green Peas, Almost Totally Thawed.
  6. 8 slices Bacon, Cooked Until Crisp And Chopped.
  7. 1/2 whole Small Red Onion, Halved And Sliced Very Thin.
  8. 6 ounces, weight Cheddar Or American Cheese, Cut Into Small Cubes.
More items...
Pea Salad | The Pioneer Woman
thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/pea-salad/