• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential 3 way deal

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't you guys sign MattcHolliday?? Lol

A one-year deal to play DH and not having to trade any prospects...not really the same as trading numerous top prospects to get McCutchen (who will need to be signed to a long-term deal to really justify trading all those prospects for him).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$13 million for a proven, needed RH bat to fill a vacated DH role for one year, is peanuts, and a lot different than mortgaging an entire future for a declining 30 year old OF

Trust me, Mccutcheon is not going to be a Yankee
I'm not saying he will but McCutcheon is 3 times the player Holliday is. I'm just pointing out the Yanks aren't strictly going young when they sign an injury prone 37 year old to fill a "needed rile". Is 30 old now? People keep saying that about McCutcheon but the reality is he had one "down" year that was only really a down year in comparison to the extremely high level he served for himself

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he will but McCutcheon is 3 times the player Holliday is. I'm just pointing out the Yanks aren't strictly going young when they sign an injury prone 37 year old to fill a "needed rile". Is 30 old now? People keep saying that about McCutcheon but the reality is he had one "down" year that was only really a down year in comparison to the extremely high level he served for himself

The Yankees cant and don't rebuild the way most teams do....They need to give the impression that they are trying to compete while rebuilding....Advanced tickets, huge market, etc.....So even though everyone knows this is a transitional period, they will never completely mail in a season, so spending next to nothing and hoping to get something out of Holliday for one season, kinda fits the bill

Mcutcheon isn't a bad player by any measure, but if you believe in defensive metrics, they reflect he was a really bad Centerfielder last season, and I just don't like players that rely on speed/legs as they enter their 30's.....Ellsbury was a pretty similar player when the Yanks signed him, and his decline came fast and furious...I don't think Cutch is the type of player that will be able to hit 30 and knock in 100 when the speed is no longer an asset

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a completely different situation...Holliday is signed as a stop-gap DH until they can find a long-term DH solution. If he sucks, the team isn't committed to him long-term.

McCutchen is likely going to want a 5+ year deal after his contract is up and who knows how long into his 30s he'll be productive.

We're talking about a having a player for 1 year compared to having a player for 5+ years...completely different situations.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a completely different situation...Holliday is signed as a stop-gap DH until they can find a long-term DH solution. If he sucks, the team isn't committed to him long-term.

McCutchen is likely going to want a 5+ year deal after his contract is up and who knows how long into his 30s he'll be productive.

We're talking about a having a player for 1 year compared to having a player for 5+ years...completely differeny situations.
If course but ultimately McCutcheon is only 30 and has been far better ( even last year) than anyone else the Yanks can put in CF. I'm not sure who the prospects are they'd be giving up but if it's a guy that's blocked then I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Even super young talented teams need older vets who can still produce.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If course but ultimately McCutcheon is only 30 and has been far better ( even last year) than anyone else the Yanks can put in CF. I'm not sure who the prospects are they'd be giving up but if it's a guy that's blocked then I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Even super young talented teams need older vets who can still produce.

Yankees have 7 prospects that John Sickels rates as a B+ or better (link below) in addition to Gary Sanchez who's no longer a prospect after hitting 20 homers in 53 games. No question that the Pirates are going to want a few of those prospects.
Top 100 MLB prospects: End of 2016

And many of these prospects are 20-22 years old and probably a good 5ish years away from possibly being key contributors (if they pan out), so when/if that happens, McCutchen will likely be past his prime in his mid-30s getting paid $20M+ a year.

Think of it like this: if the Cubs got Jayson Werth 6 years ago instead of the Nats (when he was in his prime), they would've had Werth's productive years when they weren't ready to compete, but when they were ready to compete (in 2015-2016), Werth was useless but they were stuck with his contract. That's what the Yankees might be doing if they got McCutchen on the wrong side of 30 and signed him long-term.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have 7 prospects that John Sickels rates as a B+ or better (link below) in addition to Gary Sanchez who's no longer a prospect after hitting 20 homers in 53 games. No question that the Pirates are going to want a few of those prospects.
Top 100 MLB prospects: End of 2016

And many of these prospects are 20-22 years old and probably a good 5ish years away from possibly being key contributors (if they pan out), so when/if that happens, McCutchen will likely be past his prime in his mid-30s getting paid $20M+ a year.

Think of it like this: if the Cubs got Jayson Werth 6 years ago instead of the Nats (when he was in his prime), they would've had Werth's productive years when they weren't ready to compete, but when they were ready to compete (in 2015-2016), Werth was useless but they were stuck with his contract. That's what the Yankees might be doing if they got McCutchen on the wrong side of 30 and signed him long-term.
You don't think the Yanks can make the playoffs next year?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$13 million for a proven, needed RH bat to fill a vacated DH role for one year, is peanuts, and a lot different than mortgaging an entire future for a declining 30 year old OF

Trust me, Mccutcheon is not going to be a Yankee

man I so hope you are proven wrong. :D

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can, but I don't think many would bet on it. Rotation spots 2-5 are all big question marks (could be all 5 spots if Tanaka can't stay healthy), and it's a below average lineup.

They over-achieved big time last year, considering they finished 5 games over .500 despite being outscored for the year...hard to sustain that.

Last edited:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can, but I don't think many would bet on it. Rotation spots 2-5 are all big question marks (could be all 5 spots if Tanaka can't stay healthy), and it's a below average lineup.

They over-achieved big time last year, considering they finished 5 games over .500 despite being outscored for the year...hard to sustain that.

Agreed......Quintana makes a lot of sense, but I still wouldn't deviate from the course if it will cost them one of Torres or Frazier.....Let 2017 play out, lose a ton of money off the books, and reset for the 2018 FA class

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think many Yankee fans (who are paying attention) have any playoff aspirations this year.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think many Yankee fans (who are paying attention) have any playoff aspirations this year.
But the Yankees signed Chapman to googolplex dollars for the WS run I thought. Maybe the Yankees know of imminent economic collapse, thus creating a hyper inflation scenario, making Chapman's salary more palatable.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Yankees signed Chapman to googolplex dollars for the WS run I thought. Maybe the Yankees know of imminent economic collapse, thus creating a hyper inflation scenario, making Chapman's salary more palatable.

It's likely that they forsee a weak reliever market in the future. If they're ready to compete in the next few years they'll have a top tier closer in Chapman, but if it turns out 3-4 years from now that they're not quite ready to compete, they can trade him for quality prospects during a weak reliever market.