• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post here if your school has never lost to an FCS school

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has to count since they got their shit smashed in by a team that lost to a "FCS" school

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically no...as we were a transition team in 1996, the last time we lost to one

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Portland State or Eastern really qualifies..because the past two seasons both would've won the Mountain West conference so by competitive technicality I do not belief scrimmages that people keep score of should count towards our schools record. I put forth a motion to vacate those losses.
I'm sorry all I read was "yes we lost to a FCS school and shouldn't be posting here."

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least for Clemson, it's a way to give the smaller school an influx of revenue to help support their athletic program. FCS programs are by no means profitable for the most part, and heavily draw from the rest of the school/state to keep running. Even good programs like UNI are constantly in jeopardy financially. Clemson plays them, and they get a very large slice of the proceeds, sometimes up to a million dollars. This will represent the lion's share of their income, and helps support their athletic department so they don't have to have massive cuts or remove them altogether. South Carolina does the same thing (though they end up losing to those FCS teams). The two schedule heavily from small SC schools like Furman, Wofford, PC, and The Citadel to help support programs in state.

That's why I never understood some fan's rabid hatred of scheduling FCS teams. The alternative is that many FCS teams would be forced to close their athletic programs. But I guess that would be worth it so you get one more fun game to watch.
When did Clemson join the SEC? That's their excuse for getting the free wins to make their shitty teams bowl eligible.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true...but USC has lost to several high school teams. That would be literally high school teams.

But, USC was never an all-girls school, so you have that going for you, which is nice.

Welllll.... My point would be that there is always plenty of "BAD" FBS teams too, so WHY play ANY teams out of your division??? Just sayin'... :nod:

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least for Clemson, it's a way to give the smaller school an influx of revenue to help support their athletic program. FCS programs are by no means profitable for the most part, and heavily draw from the rest of the school/state to keep running. Even good programs like UNI are constantly in jeopardy financially. Clemson plays them, and they get a very large slice of the proceeds, sometimes up to a million dollars. This will represent the lion's share of their income, and helps support their athletic department so they don't have to have massive cuts or remove them altogether. South Carolina does the same thing (though they end up losing to those FCS teams). The two schedule heavily from small SC schools like Furman, Wofford, PC, and The Citadel to help support programs in state.

That's why I never understood some fan's rabid hatred of scheduling FCS teams. The alternative is that many FCS teams would be forced to close their athletic programs. But I guess that would be worth it so you get one more fun game to watch.

THEN let them CLOSE their freakin' programs if they can't compete with the BIG boys... Just STAY within their own division. The welfare mentality is overwhelming these days! :L

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welllll.... My point would be that there is always plenty of "BAD" FBS teams too, so WHY play ANY teams out of your division??? Just sayin'... :nod:

Meh...bad teams are bad teams. What difference does it make if you beat Idaho 59-9 or we beat Charleston Southern 56-6.

Besides, we'd have to start letting in 4-8 teams to bowls if we only played each other.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...bad teams are bad teams. What difference does it make if you beat Idaho 59-9 or we beat Charleston Southern 56-6.

Besides, we'd have to start letting in 4-8 teams to bowls if we only played each other.

IMO, We need to cut the bowl games in half (at the very least).

"...Bad teams are bad teams" but keep them within your division. OR are you all skeered of playing the "bad" teams within in the FBS division? They can use the money too!! heh heh :D

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THEN let them CLOSE their freakin' programs if they can't compete with the BIG boys... Just STAY within their own division. The welfare mentality is overwhelming these days! :L
Is this a Californian complaining about welfare mentality in modern society? Really? Your state is hopelessly in debt because you're at the cutting edge of this mentality.

This argument lacks any merit. Most of these schools don't desire to compete with the "Big Boys." They play one game a season against an FBS team, knowing they are probably going to lose. But they don't do it expecting a free handout. Both teams get a benefit in the deal. The FCS team gets to support their athletics programs for another year, and the FBS team gets another guaranteed homegame for the revenue and for the fans and has the opportunity to tune up their team. The FCS school also has the chance to pull the huge upset, in which case they gain a lot of credibility for their program (like App State and Michigan and The Citadel and Carolina). It's a symbiotic relationship that makes fiscal sense on both sides.

Also, by your logic, the Pac 12 clearly can't compete with the big boys out east, so they should all shut their programs down. After all, you guys are supposedly the best in your conference and you came out east to play Bama this year, and I seem to remember that not being a particularly interesting game. I may be wrong, but I believe Chattanooga, an FCS team, played the Tide closer.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a Californian complaining about welfare mentality in modern society? Really? Your state is hopelessly in debt because you're at the cutting edge of this mentality.

This argument lacks any merit. Most of these schools don't desire to compete with the "Big Boys." They play one game a season against an FBS team, knowing they are probably going to lose. But they don't do it expecting a free handout. Both teams get a benefit in the deal. The FCS team gets to support their athletics programs for another year, and the FBS team gets another guaranteed homegame for the revenue and for the fans and has the opportunity to tune up their team. The FCS school also has the chance to pull the huge upset, in which case they gain a lot of credibility for their program (like App State and Michigan and The Citadel and Carolina). It's a symbiotic relationship that makes fiscal sense on both sides.

Also, by your logic, the Pac 12 clearly can't compete with the big boys out east, so they should all shut their programs down. After all, you guys are supposedly the best in your conference and you came out east to play Bama this year, and I seem to remember that not being a particularly interesting game. I may be wrong, but I believe Chattanooga, an FCS team, played the Tide closer.
And you would be.

You must feel really proud that Clemson has supported so many (28) FCS programs. I mean, it takes a big program to be able to buy that many wins and hand out millions to the poor. Good luck on Monday.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, that means that all Californians subscribe to that mentality?

While I understand the reasoning behind these games, I disagree that they should be scheduled. As has been pointed out, there are plenty of lower tier FBS schools that could use the revenue as well. Personally though, while I am glad that USC has never played an FCS school, it wouldn't necessarily break my heart if they did because I do understand the economics of it.

I do think, however, that if a school is going to schedule an FCS program, it should be a school within the same state.

Also, by your logic, the Pac 12 clearly can't compete with the big boys out east, so they should all shut their programs down.

Really?!? USC doesn't seem to have much trouble competing with the "big boys out east."

After all, you guys are supposedly the best in your conference and you came out east to play Bama this year, and I seem to remember that not being a particularly interesting game.

lol @basing your entire argument on one game...that always works well.