1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Popeye's Town Hall (WARNING, POLITICS INSIDE!)

Discussion in 'Nebraska Cornhuskers' started by oaknightshockey1, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Brasky

Brasky The North Remembers

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

He's better than we deserved. He'll be sorely missed. Bookended by leukemia and a turd truck.

2. Brasky

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

3. Brasky

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

4. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Well guess what @Brasky ?!?!? He held his press conference, so like a good little doggie i expect some sort of fake news propaganda to be posted shortly by you.

5. huskers1217

huskers1217 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,859

pretty much his whole presser

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  6. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I suppose if you are deaf and blind you might think so from how loud that idiot at CNN was being.

7. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Man, Cory Booker is a blow hard!

8. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Lewis is even worse....

9. Skerpokes

Skerpokes Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Regardless of politics, I feel like Joe Biden would be a cool dude to sit on a bass boat with and smoke stogies together while fishing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Politics aside. Couple more hours!!!

[​IMG]
    Can we say YUM!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. it'sHuskers4me

it'sHuskers4me strah ništa

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Just don't take yer wife or young daughter with you. :D

12. it'sHuskers4me

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Runzas? :noidea:

13. huskers1217

huskers1217 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,859

This fight might be worse than Obama/Trump

but....honestly, Runza's are just okay. Ill take a Runza burger over it anyday.

Also....Tastee's was the worst fucking sandwich ever.

14. it'sHuskers4me

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

My homemade Runzas are the best but I guess they are not for every one and I had some nasty ones from the local Runza. My wife is the only one I know who hates sarma/cabbage rolls so I never make them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yea buddy!

16. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Real runzas taste so much better than what the restaurants make. I dont know what they do to theirs but they dont daste nearly as good as the real thing.

17. Tomhusker

Tomhusker The Original Husker+ Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 638

I could use a good runza recipe.

18. it'sHuskers4me

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Tom. you can't go wrong with this recipe - note use food thermometer for temperature of water to activate yeast. I use a pizza cutter to make rectangles out of the dough and I add a slice of cheese on top of filling before folding over the dough.

Nothing says Nebraska like a RUNZA! These ground beef and cooked cabbage stuffed rolls are very popular here. At Runza restaurants they are rectangular in shape. Homemade ones can be any shape or size you want. We have temperature Tuesdays during the winter. Whatever the temperature outside is at 6 AM is the price of each Runza sandwich at Runza restaurant all day that Tuesday. Last winter I got them for 20 cents or less each most Tuesdays. I have many different versions of this recipe and love to make them for family get togethers or for church pot lucks. The first recipe is the one I make with the grandkids because it is blander and they love to help. The second one is actually the closest recipe I have ever found that tastes exactly like the restaurant version. When I bring runzas to a pot luck I bring both kinds so those who want a blander version can enjoy them, too.

BLAND RUNZA
    Filling:
    2 pound ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 medium head of cabbage, shredded

Saute onion in a bit of oil until just translucent. Add hamburger and saute until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Drain away the grease, and return to the pan. Cover the mixture with the shredded cabbage and cook until the cabbage is done. Stir occasionally. This could take about 45 minutes or so.

Using an egg-dough recipe or frozen biscuit or bread dough from the supermarket, roll small balls of dough thin to make either a 3x3 or 5×5 square, for different appetites. Put about 1/2 cup of cabbage mixture in center of a 5x5 square or ¼ cup in a 3x3 square and seal closed. Place seal side down on a parchment lined baking sheet (or a lightly greased sheet). Allow these to sit, covered lightly with a tea towel, for about 20 minutes – so the dough can rise for the second time. Sometimes I brush the tops with an egg wash, sometimes I leave them plain.

Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 or until lightly golden brown.

AUTHENTIC RUNZA

Filling:
    2 cups chopped onions
    1-2 garlic cloves
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 large head of cabbage, shredded
    1 small can kraut juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    (optional) cheese of your choice

Chop onions and garlic. Sauté in a large frying pan with a little butter or olive oil until tender. Add ground beef along with generous amounts of salt and pepper. Cook through and drain well.
    Put browned ground beef into a large pot (I’ve even done it in my crockpot!). Add cabbage and kraut juice. If you can’t find kraut juice, use a cup of the the liquid from a jar of sauerkraut.

Simmer 3-4 hours, stirring often. (If using a crockpot, you can leave it overnight on “warm” and it works out perfectly!) Drain and cool.

Classic runza dough ingredients:
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 pkg. yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
    2 cups warm water (some people use warmed milk)
    1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste)
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 beaten eggs
    7-8 cups flour

Soften the yeast in the warm water. Add the shortening to the water to soften too. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and eggs. Stir in yeast mixture. Add flour one cup at a time, stirring well after each cup. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn out onto the counter and incorporate remaining flour by kneading. The amount of flour depends on the size of your eggs. Knead 200 strokes until the dough is elastic and smooth. Let rest in a covered bowl one hour or until doubled in size. Cut off golf ball sized pieces to roll out and fill.
    Most runzas I’ve had were oblong, but sometimes I make mine round — usually when I have ingredient variations, like some with cheese and some without. This time I made a few with Swiss cheese.
    I made some with one spoonful of filling and some with two so there would be different sizes for different sized appetites. Pinch the sides together over the filling. Seal well so nothing leaks during baking.

Place on a greased cookie sheet, cover with a clean cloth, and let raise at least half an hour. This is a good time to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sometimes I brush the tops with a beaten egg just before putting them in the oven. Bake the runzas in the oven 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Try not to eat too many!
    This recipe makes about 3 dozen 3 inch runzas. (Of course you can make them whatever size is most convenient for your family). They freeze very well and make a great grab-and-go meal when you’re in a hurry.
    This is the most traditional runza recipe, but there are as many recipe variations as there are runza-eating families. Try adding your favorite sliced or grated cheese or incorporating some sausage into the meat mixture. The possibilities are endless!

NEBRASKA GRANDMA TIPS AND TRICKS: RUNZAS!!!!
    Good Luck Tom! :suds:

• Like Like x 1
  19. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It is really beyond simple. Onion, Beef Cabbage, Salt, Pepper. I dont actually measure anything i season the meat as its cooking with salt and pepper. Once beef is done cooking i drain it then add in onion then cabbage to a light round of seasoning of salt and pepper then wait/taste add gotta be a little careful kinda like a good chili, the flavor comes in the slow cooking process... For the casing/roll i cheat i buy the 36/72 pack of frozen dinner rolls put them on a sheet let them thaw and rise then roll them out and fill them up.

20. NU_FTW

NU_FTW Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I once dabbled in the garlic addition in my runza's they werent good/right. Wonder if that is the reason the restaurant tastes different. Also i depending on batch size dont measure anything i just will do large onions and cabbage and depending on my mood i will either do 1lb beef 1onion 1 cabbage or 2lb beef to 1onion to 1 cabbage.