• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll} The Greatest Defensive Player In History ?...

Your Choice ...

• Lawrence Taylor

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Reggie White

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Dick Butkis

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Ronnie Lott

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Ray Lewis

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Deion Sanders

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Bruce Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deacon Jones

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Joe Greene

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Rod Woodson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Singletary

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Potato Salid

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sabol2.gif

The best

5DkK9wZ.gif

The best duo

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Lane could actually tackle unlike Deion, and talked like Deion, he told Johnny Unitas not to throw to his side of the field. Johnny didn't listen threw his way, Lane picked it off. Lane said I told you not to do it, don't do it again. Johnny did it again, picked off by Lane. Unitas learned his lesson.

Lane still has the interception record and it was 12 games, it will never be matched.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sabol2.gif

The best

5DkK9wZ.gif

The best duo

Good duo. Reggie White and Jerome Brown would have passed them if he didn't die young. There were games that made me wonder if Jerome Brown was better then Reggie.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good duo. Reggie White and Jerome Brown would have passed them if he didn't die young. There were games that made me wonder if Jerome Brown was better then Reggie.

Olsen was purely an interior DT, so I wouldn't say he and Deacon formed a duo.
I do think Olsen was the best DT ever though.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olsen was purely an interior DT, so I wouldn't say he and Deacon formed a duo.
I do think Olsen was the best DT ever though.

Never watched Olsen but know his rep. Brown could have been an all time great DT. That really stung. Losing such a tremendous force at a young age. I remember Emmitt Smith darting up a hole in the line a Jerome sticking out one arm, wrapping him up and slamming him to the ground. Its just one of those amazing plays you never forget your whole life. That entire D was bananas. Clyde Simmons had 17 sacks with those two while Seth Joyner won DPOY. Sprinkle in some other greats like Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Byron Evans. It amazes me that team didnt get a ring.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never watched Olsen but know his rep. Brown could have been an all time great DT. That really stung. Losing such a tremendous force at a young age. I remember Emmitt Smith darting up a hole in the line a Jerome sticking out one arm, wrapping him up and slamming him to the ground. Its just one of those amazing plays you never forget your whole life. That entire D was bananas. Clyde Simmons had 17 sacks with those two while Seth Joyner won DPOY. Sprinkle in some other greats like Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Byron Evans. It amazes me that team didnt get a ring.

Brown was a terror, it was a real loss.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Lane could actually tackle unlike Deion, and talked like Deion, he told Johnny Unitas not to throw to his side of the field. Johnny didn't listen threw his way, Lane picked it off. Lane said I told you not to do it, don't do it again. Johnny did it again, picked off by Lane. Unitas learned his lesson.

Lane still has the interception record and it was 12 games, it will never be matched.

Lane would have had to completely changed his tackling. He went for the head every shot he had.
The ints were remarkable though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone vote LT? The guy admitted to playing coked up every game, the one game he played strait he stunk.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no shame not being as good as LT. IMO Tippet isn't even anywhere near close. But opinions vary. I do think he was a very good player.

In everyone's opinion, Andre Tippett is not in the same building as LT

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Swatt and it's by a landslide. OP is fired for not listing his name.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Swatt and it's by a landslide. OP is fired for not listing his name.

JJ Twatt has some ball to play before qualifying for an all time list.
It would be like the guy who nominated Andre Tippett based on 4 excellent seasons.
Body of work is essential.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be like the guy who nominated Andre Tippett based on 4 excellent seasons.

OP didn't say who had the best career ever. He just asked who was the best defensive player ever. Therefore, Lord Watt is easily the best ever. Nobody has even come close to making as big as an impact on the field as Watt on the defensive side of the ball. If this said who had the best career ever then it would be Reggie White. But if I had to select one person in their prime on D it would be Watt.

/thread

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never understood that logic. The guy already has 3 DPOY awards.....what would another 5-7 years of service prove? Do you actually have to see that to make a decision on how good he is/was? Especially since the only thing that cuts his career is injury, and that basically comes down mostly to luck.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has even come close to making as big as an impact on the field as Watt on the defensive side of the ball.

Lets not go insane. Watt missed pretty much the entire year last year...it's not like the Texans defense fell apart or anything. You want to talk real impact? Again...go take a look at the 1980 NY Giants. 24th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed. Then look at the 1981 season, Lawrence Taylor's rookie year....The Giants ranked 3rd and 3rd. I don't recall New York adding anybody else noteworthy to that team in 1981

Again...that was in an era where one guy doesn't make as much of an impact as one guy today in today's free agency/salary cap game.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP didn't say who had the best career ever. He just asked who was the best defensive player ever. Therefore, Lord Watt is easily the best ever. Nobody has even come close to making as big as an impact on the field as Watt on the defensive side of the ball. If this said who had the best career ever then it would be Reggie White. But if I had to select one person in their prime on D it would be Watt.

/thread

Over Reggie Whites 21 sacks in 12 game season?