• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll} The Greatest Defensive Player In History ?...

Your Choice ...

• Lawrence Taylor

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Reggie White

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Dick Butkis

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Ronnie Lott

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Ray Lewis

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Deion Sanders

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Bruce Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deacon Jones

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Joe Greene

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Rod Woodson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Singletary

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Potato Salid

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real Reggie won a SB with the Packers. Beagles were just preparing him for the big stage on a real winner.

BOOM

They had a stacked team with the MVP QB. Obviously the Packers were a better team but he wasn't as good with the Packers as he was with Philly.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little surprised Bruce Smith has been shutout so far. I guess losing 4 Super Bowls took some of his shine off.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie was an Eagle... not a Packer. He was much better in his Eagle days. (I know he was a Packer too, but the REAL REGGIE was an Eagle.

I agree. He was a better player as an Eagle. He was still a great player as a Packer though, over 60 sacks in his 6 years as a Packer. I also have to believe that while its possible he felt more an Eagle than a Packer. I gotta believe hoisting that SB trophy after having a huge 2nd half in that SB with 3 sacks. Is likely the greatest satisfaction and joy he's ever had as a football player.

But a better indication of how the real Reggie felt about the teams he played for. Might be knowing which team he repped upon his entry into the Hall of Fame. Was it as an Eagle or a Packer?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little surprised Bruce Smith has been shutout so far. I guess losing 4 Super Bowls took some of his shine off.

I'm not far as Smith being shut out. Losing them in the way the Bills did, each one a worse ass whippin than the one before certainly isn't helping.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a stacked team with the MVP QB. Obviously the Packers were a better team but he wasn't as good with the Packers as he was with Philly.

The Packers 1996 team wasn't even close to being stacked. They had an average RB corps, decent WR corps, below average LB's, average OL, great TE's but two really good safeties and Reggie dominating at the line. He had 16 sacks his final year with the pack and 3 sacks in a row in the SB. That team was basically Favre and Reggie.

Come on man

Signed The Minister

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers 1996 team wasn't even close to being stacked. They had an average RB corps, decent WR corps, below average LB's, average OL, great TE's but two really good safeties and Reggie dominating at the line. He had 16 sacks his final year with the pack and 3 sacks in a row in the SB. That team was basically Favre and Reggie.

Come on man

Yeah... A 35 year old Reggie White was better than a 25 year old Reggie White. This board is really getting lame with so many fanboys who can't be realistic. In his 6 years with GB he had 68 sacks. In his last 6 years with Philly he had 111. But your right.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not far as Smith being shut out. Losing them in the way the Bills did, each one a worse ass whippin than the one before certainly isn't helping.

They clearly lost the last 2 in their minds before kickoff.
Really though, should that lessen Smith's stock ?
He was elite among the elite in both pass rushing and run defense.
In my fantasy game I'd have White on the left side and Smith on the right side.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't throw his way, problem solved. You can't avoid a great pass rusher.
You can design a play to do essentially the same thing. Seen this happen to JJ Watt many, many times. In fact, I've seen this happen even with total scrubs blocking Watt.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can design a play to do essentially the same thing. Seen this happen to JJ Watt many, many times. In fact, I've seen this happen even with total scrubs blocking Watt.

Sure you can role the QB away from a pass rusher, double a player, etc, but all of these things takes changing the integrity of the LOS, you can simply not throw at a CB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you can role the QB away from a pass rusher, double a player, etc, but all of these things takes changing the integrity of the LOS, you can simply not throw at a CB.
This doesn't bother me the slightest if you have an offensive play caller who isn't an amoeba. I find a CB that will neutralize my star receiver to be quite a bit more distressing.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw plenty of Giants games live at Texas Stadium in the 80's. Never saw LT stopped. Ever. Saw Reggie White get stopped in the NFC Championship game and watched him cry about it afterwards.

LT. Best. Ever.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing else on defense impacts a game like putting pressure on the QB. When a player is also the best at holding the edge and bottle necking the running game, it's an every down game changer for a defense.
Now if a team already has the ability to consistently pressure the QB, a shut down CB becomes far more effective. If it's one or the other though, the great DE/OLB is far more important.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facepalm all you want Brah...

White had no weakness, LT needed scheming to be affective. If you'd lined him up like White he'd have gotten knocked around. In fact he was moved around for that very reason.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be the most absurd comment I've ever read about Lawrence Taylor. I'd say NFL experts disagree with you but I have a hunch you would dismiss them as a bunch of schemers.

And - it's EFFECTIVE...

And - it's BUTKUS...

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be the most absurd comment I've ever read about Lawrence Taylor. I'd say NFL experts disagree with you but I have a hunch you would dismiss them as a bunch of schemers.

And - it's EFFECTIVE...

And - it's BUTKUS...

I think you didn't keep up with The NFL when LT was playing.
Offenses did learn to neutralize him, he became frustrated when a big athletic OL would block him from the front and a TE or back would chip him.
That is when he started moving around almost randomly, to avoid those tactics.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is not like he did a whole lot in the Super Bowl, he had two sacks in four games. Reggie had 3 sacks in Super Bowl.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not like he did a whole lot in the Super Bowl, he had two sacks in four games. Reggie had 3 sacks in Super Bowl.

I voted for White, but LT is leading the poll and he didn't have a sack in either Super Bowl he played in.