• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playing the kids?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a few months ago that the FO was going to start playing the kids more, after the team looked awful the first two months of the season. However, there wasn't a whole lot of "kids" playing after that. We all gave the FO a pass on that due to the idea that maybe they were showcasing the veterans for possible trades. Well, the trade deadline pass two weeks ago. How is the "playing the kids" going? Consider:

Average age of the pitching staff: 28.5
Average age of catchers: 31.5
Average age of infielders: 27.2
Average age of outfielders: 30.4

Number of players on 25 man roster 25 or younger: 3 (Kyle Crick, Ryder Jones, Orlando Calixte)

Number of players on 25 man roster 26 to 29: 12 (Ty Blach, Madison Bumgarner, Sam Dyson, Matt Moore, Josh Osich, Chris Stratton, Hunter Strickland, Albert Suarez, Kelby Tomlinson, Gorkys Hernandez, Carlos Moncrief, Jarrett Parker)

Number of rookies on the team: 7 (Blach, Crick, Stratton, Suarez, Jones, Calixte, Moncrief)

Number of sophomores on the team: 1 (Parker)

Number of 3rd years on the team: 4 (Osich, Strickland, Tomlinson, Hernandez)

So, of the 7 rookies on the team, what are their roles?
Ty Blach (26) - Starting pitcher since April, forced in by injury to Bumgarner, left in by other injuries
Kyle Crick (24) - Relief pitcher called up late June, used mainly in middle relief
Chris Stratton (26) - Just recently inserted into starting rotation due to Cain's ineffectiveness. However, Cain is back in the rotation?
Albert Suarez (27) - Recently called up (7/22) and used in mop up duty
Orlando Calixte (25) - Shuttled back and forth between SF and Sac. Just called back up due to Panik's injury. Possible platoon at 2nd base?
Ryder Jones (24) - Emergency call up to replace Belt (concussion) at 1st base. Got sent down in July after injury and passed over by Sandoval earlier this month.
Carlos Moncrief (28) - Pinch hitter since being called up July 26th.

That means two guys in the starting rotation (one due to an injury to a veteran), two relievers (only one playing any kind of semi-important role), two infielders (both up due to injury) and one outfielder (playing sparingly). While having 7 rookies on the roster is somewhat impressive, consider the make up of this roster if the injuries to Cueto, Belt, Gomez, Panik and Slater had not occurred. That would add one rookie to the roster (Slater) but take off another four rookies (Stratton, Calixte, Jones and Moncrief) from the roster (Miguel Gomez most likely would have been sent down for Sandoval). That would put 4 rookies on the roster, with two of them getting regular playing time. Not "playing the kids" by any stretch.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a follow up , 40% of the current active roster is made up of players 30 years old or older. Additionally, 52% of the active roster has at least 4 years of big league experience (which, in my mind, makes them a veteran). I had hoped the roster would be a little younger and less experienced, but, alas, it is not.
What are the chances that Gorkys Hernandez gets traded this month, given his improved offensive numbers? I'd guess not very likely.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a follow up , 40% of the current active roster is made up of players 30 years old or older. Additionally, 52% of the active roster has at least 4 years of big league experience (which, in my mind, makes them a veteran). I had hoped the roster would be a little younger and less experienced, but, alas, it is not.
What are the chances that Gorkys Hernandez gets traded this month, given his improved offensive numbers? I'd guess not very likely.
I think only Span and Sammy have any chance of getting traded. Maybe Hundley. The most likely is Sammy, but I think the org wants to keep him around. 200 innings is a LOT to find elsewhere.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think only Span and Sammy have any chance of getting traded. Maybe Hundley. The most likely is Sammy, but I think the org wants to keep him around. 200 innings is a LOT to find elsewhere.
And when it comes to a starting pitcher, the org really lacks at AAA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when it comes to a starting pitcher, the org really lacks at AAA.
If they weren't so hell-bent on competing next year, they could go into next year with a rotation of Bum, Cueto, Moore, Blach and Stratton with Suarez, Beede and Gregorio in the mix as well. That actually would not be a horrible rotation, and we would have whatever return we got for Sammy.

But instead, they will insist on going all-in and we will go into a generation of mediocrity.

I hope I am wrong, and this whole "we have the makings of a contender" speak is just a smoke screen, and they will actually go into a few years of building so they can field a good team in '19 or '20.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they weren't so hell-bent on competing next year, they could go into next year with a rotation of Bum, Cueto, Moore, Blach and Stratton with Suarez, Beede and Gregorio in the mix as well. That actually would not be a horrible rotation, and we would have whatever return we got for Sammy.

But instead, they will insist on going all-in and we will go into a generation of mediocrity.

I hope I am wrong, and this whole "we have the makings of a contender" speak is just a smoke screen, and they will actually go into a few years of building so they can field a good team in '19 or '20.

Yes. I can't see this core competing next year and IDK how the FO can look at this team over the past 18 months and think they can get a completely different result. If the Giants are not going to be competitive next year, I would rather them at least start building for the future by bringing these kids in

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I can't see this core competing next year and IDK how the FO can look at this team over the past 18 months and think they can get a completely different result. If the Giants are not going to be competitive next year, I would rather them at least start building for the future by bringing these kids in
But do the Giants have the needle-movers in the system needed to be true contenders? I think Ramos is the only one who has that kind if potential. Maybe Ziegler.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do the Giants have the needle-movers in the system needed to be true contenders? I think Ramos is the only one who has that kind if potential. Maybe Ziegler.
IDK the answer to that question but if not they better start finding them and if they can't better find someone who will.