• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pistons Off Season

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what the Pistons do this off season.
Here is my list of issues.
1)Can we somehow convince Monroe to stay?
I think that he is gone unfortunately. I actually think that he is more key than Drummond. he has a solid, fundamental game where Drummond's still hasn't fully developed and he relies more on sheer athleticism, which will eventually erode. The tandem of the two together works very well and I think losing Monroe will be bad, not just for his abilities, but it will allow other teams to focus more on Drummond down low without him.​

2)Who will be our PG?
Brandon Jennings was finally meshing well with the rest of the team, putting up good numbers for himself and setting up teammates. He was actually running an offense and not jacking up (as many) ill advised shots. Then he blew his achilles. They brought in Reggie Jackson, who occasionally looked sensational, but looked more like the old Brandon Jennings. Of course he did not have the time Jennings has to form chemistry with his teammates. So do we resign Jackson and look to trade Jennings, or let Jackson go and hope Jennings is playing like he was pre-injury? I don't think you can keep them both as they both need to be starting PG and I don't think you can play them together as neither would be a better 2 than KCP or Meeks.
3)Where do we draft?
Pistons have a need at SF and, if Monroe walks, at PF. I like Stanley Johnson out of AZ at SF. I think he would be a good Piston--tough, some solid D, some steady offense. He's not superstar material, but a solid workhorse--something Detroit fans love. But, that is not necessarily what SVG loves. There are a couple of Euro players who can stretch the floor and be a bigger threat offensively: Mario Hezonja and Kristaps Porzingis.
4)Where do we spend free agency money?
I would love to see them make an offer to bring Michigan State alum Draymond Green back to his home state. With his hard-nosed defense, ability to play both the SF and PF, and his offensive contribution he would be perfect for this Pistons team. Unfortunately, I think that the Warriors will match anything the we can offer to keep him in the Golden State. There are other SF and PF out there in free agency this summer, but none that I would throw the money at that would require them to come to Detroit (we have no shot at getting Aldridge or Leonard).
With just a couple of tweaks, or even just a good draft if Monroe stays, this team should be a playoff team next year. In all honesty, I was disappointed they didn't make it this year but injuries and post-trade chemistry derailed the effort late. The 3 game improvement in record is not acceptable in my mind and I expect bigger things from them next year or I will start considering SVG a yet another in a string of big disappointments. The grace period is over, the Pistons have a stable of good, young players to add to and bring us a decent product. It should be an intresting summer.