• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pirates at Reds: Postmortem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was interesting. The Bucs let down Cole yesterday or else they could have taken 3 of 4 from the Reds, but it wasn't to be so.

But all the beaning, and the umpires' complete lack of control of the game (just icing on what was a really terribly umpired series, what with all the amorphous strike zones and Joe West's presence) were pretty annoying. Blanton hit Byrd, and it was probably unintentional. I get being upset, because that ball was up, too, but yeesh, Blanton had just arrived with the team, it's not like he's ingrained in this rivalry yet. And he'd missed location on a few pitches that inning, too, so his command wasn't all there, either.

I'm glad they didn't use Chapman to retaliate, because he could have killed someone, but they waited so long, and then picked McCutchen to hit. There probably should have been an ejection right there. I mean, the crew knew about Byrd from last night, they had to have the context of the rivalry, get the situation under control right there.

But they didn't, and Watson plunked Phillips, again waiting for a target. Watson, likewise, should have been ejected immediately, but he was not. Phillips lingered, and should have been ejected for doing so and trying to start something, but he wasn't. Then the benches cleared and a bunch of verbal tough-guy acts began. Also stupid.

But tossing Melancon for an obviously accidental hitting of Tucker Barnhart, with one out and a runner on second, to bring the tying run to the plate was similarly absurd. And then an umpire pushing Cervelli away, also absurd. I think retaliatory HBP is a stupid concept in itself, but when it's coupled with incompetent umpiring, it's just that much worse.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since Votto switched to that schmedium sized jersey he's turned into a tough guy. I loved when he got tossed that one game for basically doing nothing. Serpico really wanted a piece of him though.