• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick the Podium - F-1 - Rolex Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne Australia, 2018

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is that time of the year in Formula 1 and here we are with another new season. The rules are the same as last year but for those who need a refresher here they are.

Six points are awarded for correctly choosing the winner, 4 points for second, and 2 points for third with 1 point for correctly choosing the fourth place finisher if you choose to make that selection. If you don't make a selection, no points will be awarded for the correct selection of the fourth place finisher.

As in years past, the selections must be completed before the start of the race meaning before they start their engines.

Also, the changes for 2018 are listed in the ink below. Enjoy the year as I go fro 5 straight championships.

What's new for 2018?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to it my friend.

Going to give watching the Aussie GP live a go. Even though it's on past my bedtime at 11 PM.....

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton is right back at it putting Mercedes up front on the first day. However, this race may be a close battle between Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton takes the pole followed by Raikkonen and Vettel. Bottas puts his car into the wall.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go with Hamilton for the win, followed by Vettel, Raikkonen, and Verstappen for fourth.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton
Vettel
Vertsappen
Raikkonen

And I almost want to swap the 2 "V"s. But I won't.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton
Vettel
Vertsappen
Raikkonen

And I almost want to swap the 2 "V"s. But I won't.

You should :)

Hamilton
Verstappen
Raikkonen
Vettel

Kimi kicks ass on Albert Park.

If not for the grid penalty for Danny Ric, I would put two Red Bulls on the podium. That tyre strategy is going to be the right call. But he's not gonna get past Vettel. Max will gain his spot with an undercut.

And I gotta say, I am so happy that ESPN uses Sky's coverage as opposed to Steve "Yellow branded sidewalls" Matchett and David "clag" Hobbs.

Will Buxton working for F1, so I don't have to miss him.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should :)

Hamilton
Verstappen
Raikkonen
Vettel

Kimi kicks ass on Albert Park.

If not for the grid penalty for Danny Ric, I would put two Red Bulls on the podium. That tyre strategy is going to be the right call. But he's not gonna get past Vettel. Max will gain his spot with an undercut.

And I gotta say, I am so happy that ESPN uses Sky's coverage as opposed to Steve "Yellow branded sidewalls" Matchett and David "clag" Hobbs.

Will Buxton working for F1, so I don't have to miss him.

I've always had BBC or Sky up here.

I think Vettel is very strong. But Dutchie is very racy.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right before the final whistle

Hamilton
Verstappen
Vettel
and screw it, it's the first race Grosjean homer pick

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just turned it on and I'm a little thrown off that so far I haven't heard any announcers speaking

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're on a diffferent dadburn thing here?? Am I drunk or am I suddenly on the wrong channel?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to good ole disnye to mess things up

after cutting to a random show for several minutes it looks like it's finally back on air and we can actually hear the announcers

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vettel takes the win on a software glitch for Hamilton and into the pits with Vettel staying out.

The final results are: Vettel, Hamilton, Raikkonen, and Ricciardo.

Haas had two cars in the top five and both went out within a lap of each other with a wheel gun issue. Heart-breaking to say the least.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how we did:

BoiseStateFan27: 0 points - Skunked
forty_three: 2 points; Correctly selected Raikkonen for third
Hank Kingsley: 0 points- Skunked
Retroram52: 2 points - Correctly selected Raikkonen for third

Season totals:

BoiseStateFan27: 0 points
forty_three: 2 points
Hank Kingsley: 0 points
Retroram52: 2 points

Next up: Bahrain in two weeks; April 6-8.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to good ole disnye to mess things up

after cutting to a random show for several minutes it looks like it's finally back on air and we can actually hear the announcers

My DVR Showed exactly 1 second of a graphic about basketball and I got nothing else, so I torrented the race with Sky commentators later. Good thing too, apparently ESPN cut Crofty off mid sentence when Grosjean pulled off and returned just as the green flew, so American viewers had no idea what had happened AND missed the pass for the win. Awesome, ESPN. Awesome.

As for the race, there better be serious penalties for Haas. Both cars not only left the pits but made it onto the track before they stopped. Both situations, the tire changer signaled that the change was no good while the car was pulling away. They easily could have stopped before pit exit and not caused danger or affected the outcome of the race.

Plus with the way Magnussen came on the radio and said "suspension failure" makes me believe they didn't tell him the wheel wasn't on. Needs to have the wrath of God come down on them. Pathetic.

Credit to Ferrari for having the data to indicate the ability to capitalize. It was the only way they were winning that race. Hamilton would have won by 15+ seconds if not for Haas' mistake. By the same token, Merc needs to figure out to make their car work in dirty air. Bottas did nothing and Hamilton didn't have anything against a far slower Ferrarir.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how we did:

BoiseStateFan27: 0 points - Skunked
forty_three: 2 points; Correctly selected Raikkonen for third
Hank Kingsley: 0 points- Skunked
Retroram52: 2 points - Correctly selected Raikkonen for third

Season totals:

BoiseStateFan27: 0 points
forty_three: 2 points
Hank Kingsley: 0 points
Retroram52: 2 points

Next up: Bahrain in two weeks; April 6-8.

We're off to a hot start

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My DVR Showed exactly 1 second of a graphic about basketball and I got nothing else, so I torrented the race with Sky commentators later. Good thing too, apparently ESPN cut Crofty off mid sentence when Grosjean pulled off and returned just as the green flew, so American viewers had no idea what had happened AND missed the pass for the win. Awesome, ESPN. Awesome.

As for the race, there better be serious penalties for Haas. Both cars not only left the pits but made it onto the track before they stopped. Both situations, the tire changer signaled that the change was no good while the car was pulling away. They easily could have stopped before pit exit and not caused danger or affected the outcome of the race.

Plus with the way Magnussen came on the radio and said "suspension failure" makes me believe they didn't tell him the wheel wasn't on. Needs to have the wrath of God come down on them. Pathetic.

Credit to Ferrari for having the data to indicate the ability to capitalize. It was the only way they were winning that race. Hamilton would have won by 15+ seconds if not for Haas' mistake. By the same token, Merc needs to figure out to make their car work in dirty air. Bottas did nothing and Hamilton didn't have anything against a far slower Ferrarir.

Yes ESPN messed it up badly. It didn't help that I was under the influence of alcohol at the time but I had no idea what was going on for a lot of it. Like they went on the longest commercial break during the most important part of the race!

They cut them off mid-sentence almost every time.

I liked Sky sports, the announcers said some funny things and had some good inputs. I also liked some of the cool camera shots and you could hear the cars and the crowd better than usual.

That being said thanks to ESPN butchering it, this was the worst coverage of a F1 race I've ever watched lol

Hopefully Haas figures out what went wrong, it must have been a gun failure for it to happen twice. Sucks to see such a good possible finish for them go down the toilet. Then to top it off like you said they screwed up the release both times too.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mercedes won't be too concerned about how their car performs in traffic, they're currently the fastest and perform the best out front where they plan to be. Right now beating them for both titles looks to be difficult for both Ferrari and Red Bull as Mercedes will have a lot of races where they run off with the win

only way I see it being a competitive title is if maybe Vettel gets another lucky break or two and then Ferrari catches up with Mercedes once we hit the Europe circuit