• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick 6 Keepers

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 team league, 6 keepers each year. Here are my options-

Locks: Clayton Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, Robinson Cano, Buster Posey

Options: Madison Bumgarner, Cliff Lee, Gio Gonzalez, Yadier Molina, Wil Myers, Yoenis Cespedes, and Joe Mauer.

As of now I'm looking mainly at Bumgarner/Molina or Bumgarner/Myers or even Molina/Myers and then trading Bumgarner for a draft pick upgrade.

Thoughts?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 team league, 6 keepers each year. Here are my options-

Locks: Clayton Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, Robinson Cano, Buster Posey

Options: Madison Bumgarner, Cliff Lee, Gio Gonzalez, Yadier Molina, Wil Myers, Yoenis Cespedes, and Joe Mauer.

As of now I'm looking mainly at Bumgarner/Molina or Bumgarner/Myers or even Molina/Myers and then trading Bumgarner for a draft pick upgrade.

Thoughts?

I would put Myers in the lock category due to his age and strong performance this year.

I might actually suggest keeping Cespedes, unless this is a 2 catcher league. If it is, then keeping Molina would probably make more sense.

If you only start 1 C, then players like Molina and Mauer will almost certainly be worth more to someone else than they will be to you. Heck, I just dealt Tulo for Posey and Pence in 1 league because I was tired of getting nothing from my C position.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also lock in Myers. And I would also strongly consider Cespedes. I don't think Posey is valuable as a 1B, but he becomes a major strength at C. You say you could trade Bumgarner? Well, like Tlance suggested, I'd be shopping Yadier and Mauer too.

And of course, if this is a 2-catcher league, obviously Yadier would be my choice with Myers. But Cespedes is still pretty young and just had a "bad" year, which leads me to believe better days are ahead.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put Myers in the lock category due to his age and strong performance this year.

I might actually suggest keeping Cespedes, unless this is a 2 catcher league. If it is, then keeping Molina would probably make more sense.

If you only start 1 C, then players like Molina and Mauer will almost certainly be worth more to someone else than they will be to you. Heck, I just dealt Tulo for Posey and Pence in 1 league because I was tired of getting nothing from my C position.

I just like having Yadi/Posey because Posey is also 1B eligible so I knock out the C-1B-2B by taking Molina-Cano-Posey and then have an OF in Myers. It's not a two catcher league but I just like having the flexibility. It's paid off with Molina's DL stint and now Mauer's brief DL stint. I plug Posey in at catcher and then move my other 1B into the 1B slot and I'm good to go. Plus having the top 2 catchers gives me leverage in trades. Some teams are desperate for catchers in that league with me owning the top 3.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKO- I like Cespedes but his low average and his injuries concern me a little. Plus there's a lot more good OF's to draft than catchers...it's a pretty shallow position.

I'm currently leaning towards going Molina-Posey-Cano-Myers-Kershaw-Fernandez and shopping Cespedes and Bumgarner for picks.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha I was just thinking the same thing.
Myers and Cespedes or Bumgarner. I'm surprised the year that Bumgarner is quietly having himself.
Tough to let him go, but there's just too much risk involved if you keep 50% SPs imo. (obviously he should have great trade value) maybe you could get 2 1st rd picks with your thro-aways. Nice keeper set!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the playoffs right now. I absolutely love this team... wish it was a Dynasty League.
I've got-
C- Molina, Mauer, Posey
1B- Posey, Mauer
2B- Cano, Gyorko
SS- Andrus
3B- Sandoval, Gyorko
Two infield spots normally taken up by Gyorko and Mauer but I have A-Roid filling in for Mauer rn.
OF- Myers, Rios, Werth, Cespedes, Jackson, and De Aza

SP- Kershaw, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Lee, Anibal Sanchez, Kuroda, Iwakuma, Gio Gonzalez, and Doug Fister with two streamer spots open.
RP- Rodney, Janssen, and Munjica.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I traded Machado, ARam and Reyes for Sandoval, Cespedes, Andrus, Jackson and Janssen for depth and also gave up a 3rd rounder for Jose Fernandez before he started to really break out so that ended up being a steal. I've got a shit ton of depth.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the playoffs right now. I absolutely love this team... wish it was a Dynasty League.
I've got-
C- Molina, Mauer, Posey
1B- Posey, Mauer
2B- Cano, Gyorko
SS- Andrus
3B- Sandoval, Gyorko
Two infield spots normally taken up by Gyorko and Mauer but I have A-Roid filling in for Mauer rn.
OF- Myers, Rios, Werth, Cespedes, Jackson, and De Aza

SP- Kershaw, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Lee, Anibal Sanchez, Kuroda, Iwakuma, Gio Gonzalez, and Doug Fister with two streamer spots open.
RP- Rodney, Janssen, and Munjica.

That is a very nice team.

The thing with playing Posey at first is that as good as he is, he is actually a below average 1B option in a 12 team league. I guarantee that you could trade him for a 1B who puts up much better numbers. Someone who starts a mid-tier C like Matt Wieters and a 1B like Encarnacion will out-produce you in every category but BA at those 2 spots.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is a points league that favors SPs, I would keep Bumgarner along with Myers.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with playing Posey at first is that as good as he is, he is actually a below average 1B option in a 12 team league.

This is what I was saying... but Tlance, it's a 10 team league, so even more so, Posey's strength is at C, not 1B. That said, depth is nice and taking away Molina from another's team is nice too.

Comes down to personal preference, I guess. I'd be flip flopping over Molina and Cespedes until your deadline, but I could easily be talked into keeping Molina. Still, my point stands about Posey as a 1B in a 10 teamer.