• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Should Go After Mark Trumbo

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be for them moving Dom Brown and Kyle Kendrick for Mark Trumbo - Angels want starting pitching and have been linked to KK, plus Dom Brown is still cheap and it seems like a fair deal

It would also help the Phillies right handed bats in the lineup - Marlon Byrd only started 2 games in CF for the Mets last season but I suppose they might be able to stick him in CF - if you trade for Mark Trumbo, you play him in RF, Marlon Byrd in CF and Darin Ruf in LF and you have an all right handed outfield that has power

If they re-sign Chooch too, this is what you'd have:

C: Carlos Ruiz
1B: Ryan Howard
2B: Chase Utley
SS: Jimmy Rollins
3B: Cody Asche
LF: Darin Ruf
CF: Marlon Byrd
RF: Mark Trumbo

I know this would possibly mean J-Roll back in the lead-off spot, but maybe Ryno would put Chase Utley lead-off and see how that goes? They also have Cesar Hernandez who could lead off and help them if Marlon Byrd flames out or they decide to use more of a platoon there

Thoughts?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Ben Revere? Why would we ever make a trade so that Byrd has to play center field on a regular basis and Domonic Brown is no longer a Phillie?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Ben Revere? Why would we ever make a trade so that Byrd has to play center field on a regular basis and Domonic Brown is no longer a Phillie?

They could keep Ben Revere too - that's where I was talking about the part about making late game defensive replacements in CF - the Phillies could back theirselves up with those two guys(Ben Revere and Cesar Hernandez) and have them as super-bench guys incase Marlon Byrd is a disaster

I love Dom Brown like a lot of other people but Mark Trumbo can flat out mash the baseball and as a right handed hitter, that would help the Phillies

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need Revere at lead off. Trumbo is a low average, high K guy we don't need.

But Mark Trumbo gives the Phillies a lot of power and they really need that right handed bat

Last three seasons: 95 home runs and 284 RBI's(100 RBI's in 2013)

66 XBH's in 2013 as well

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be for them moving Dom Brown and Kyle Kendrick for Mark Trumbo -

That is an awful idea.

We already have an overpriced 1st baseman that has a shitty OBP with below average defense, except Trumbo can't hit righties. You are going to throw him in the outfield where he is equally below average defensively?

Trumbo has repeatedly shown that he can not be productive for an entire season. From June through the end of the season he didn't have an OPS over .730 in a month. Couldn't get on base. Couldn't hit for average.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But Mark Trumbo gives the Phillies a lot of power and they really need that right handed bat

Last three seasons: 95 home runs and 284 RBI's(100 RBI's in 2013)

66 XBH's in 2013 as well

Can't get on base.

Is absolutely awful in the second half of the season. Career .679 in the second half of the season.

Strikesout at an incredibly high rate.

Blows against right handed pitching.

Bad defensively.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we are downgrading our offense and defense in every way in that trade.

Brahmabull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even a huge Ruf fan, but what does Trumbo bring that Ruf doesn't?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Dom Brown for somebody else is a horrible idea.

How is it a horrible idea? When you lose 89 games, you should explore just about any option - I love Dom Brown but if they can get someone better(there are surely players out there that can be better than him), why not do it? Besides, he struggled the last part of the season because he had that concussion and couldn't get back on track - he was hot for 1-2 months but other than that he was meh - I'm all for them getting a better player if they can do so - and it's not as if Dom is very young, he's what - 27 years old? He only has one year left before arbitration as well so if you can make a move involving him now when you can get a lot of value, it would make sense

If you added a pitcher or possibly another player, you could probably get someone better than him - I'm sure there are teams that would be very interested in Dom

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the caveat Cobie. You are assuming Amaro would get that good player if available when he just went after another aging vet in Byrd. The man wouldn't know a good player if he was presented with one and that is why trading Dom brown for somebody else is a horrible idea. Brown will be back as he will heal what ails him over the off-season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd consider moving Brown if the right deal came along, but I don't think Trumbo is the guy.