• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies deadline moves

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting one:

MLB Trade Deadline rumors: Phillies 'vocal' about Christian Yelich

It would seem strange for the Marlins to trade 2/3 of their outfield but part of that might be moving Stanton to a team that can afford his expensive contract. Yelich is having a good but not great season but based on his home/road splits he would probably be an even better offensive player if he had CBP as his home field..

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my gosh. Fucking goodness gracious. This would be Klentak's "5 year/125 million" deal

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's trade for an aging power hitter who has been injury prone and is the highest paid player in baseball despite not being among the top 15 hitters or top 50 overall players in baseball!!!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's trade for an aging power hitter who has been injury prone and is the highest paid player in baseball despite not being among the top 15 hitters or top 50 overall players in baseball!!!
yeah, I guess we couldn't use a guy who has 49 hrs before September.

Poned!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Poned!
Allow my liver to hallway cleanse itself, and I will get back to and then destroy your comment in question so hard you will wish the word PWND was never created because then one could not apply it to you and your situation after I do indeed PWN you

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Poned!
I figure that right now before my first class of the semester is the time where I'll be most sober and able to respond to you and your claims that you've PWND me.

Alright, so admittedly, Giancarlo Stanton has gone on a tear since I made that post, and is now 3rd in the big leagues in WAR and 1st in wRC+. Basically, he's arguably the single best hitter in baseball this year.

But, and in all seriousness I'm pretty sure you think this way too, trading for him and his huge-ass contract does not help us. The guy will be 28 next year and is signed through his age 37 season. Ryan Howard was signed through his age 36 season- imagine having him still be on the roster this year lol.

We are not in a position to contend now, or ~95% likely, next year, which will be when Stanton is in his prime. And the prospects we potentially have to give up will certainly hurt. Lastly, Stanton is not my idea of a "great hitter." He is indeed a great hitter, no doubt about it, but when I think of a truly great hitter, I think of a guy with a very high OBP who has moderately good to really good power. After all, OBP is roughly 1.8 times more important than SLG when evaluating a player's offensive worth (at least to Tom Tango).

Stanton relies on power to be a good hitter. When he does hit a lot of home runs, he's great (see this year, 2015, 2014, and 2012). When he doesn't hit a lot of home runs, he's just an above-average hitter. Look at last year- in 470 PA he only had a .326 OBP and a .489 SLG, good for a 116 wRC+. A 116 wRC+ over 470 PA is something you could potentially get and hope for (with bad defense) from a 1 year/12 million free agent signing. 2013, he had a .365 OBP and a .480 SLG, good for a 137 wRC+ in 504 PA.

I'd much rather save the money and go after a better hitter when we are actually contenders (and remember, for us to be contenders, the coaches and all of the Philly analysts need to predict us to win ~95 games before the season starts. Pete Mackanin and Ricky Botallico both asserted that we would play .500 ball this year).