• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Mickelson plans to miss U.S. Open to attend daughter's high school graduation

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, I agree. My Dad missed my graduation from basic training because he had just started OCS. I graduated tech school just in time to make his OCS graduation. That was ten years ago. I still give (good natured) him crap for it.
How is that possible? Were you born when your dad was 10?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to see Phil close out the career grand slam with a USO win, but in this case I would do the same as he is.

Yeah it seems like he's trying to see if the USGA can work with him on the scheduling to fit it...it they can he'll be there to play, but they probably don't the total draw yet...I think some players are still trying to qualify maybe.
I actually think he's putting pressure on the school to change the graduation date. No way could the U.S. Open change dates at this late date.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that possible? Were you born when your dad was 10?
Nope. My dad went into OCS at age 41 in 2009 after 20 years already in the military. The Army had increased the age limit to 42 at the time.

I believe he maybe the oldest man to graduate OCS in US military history.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, he has not officially withdrawn yet and does not plan to till a day or 2 before.
He says that was done to give the USGA time to find an alternate.

If you are committed to going to the graduation ..why not officially withdraw now?

Maybe just maybe this was done to give the school & USGA time to fix the schedules so that Phil can do both.

School, maybe. No way the stodgy old U.S. Open changes anything at this late date. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. My dad went into OCS at age 41 in 2009 after 20 years already in the military. The Army had increased the age limit to 42 at the time.

I believe he maybe the oldest man to graduate OCS in US military history.
Very nice! They used to have a limit of 28 years old or something like that. Lots of things have changed now that we've been at war for 15 years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think he's putting pressure on the school to change the graduation date. No way could the U.S. Open change dates at this late date.

Agreed...USGA...the main haggling there could be to give him the latest tee time available on Thurs or something...at this late date no way either side can do a whole lot of shifting. Times...maybe, dates? no.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You most likely never graduated from high school.

I can see both sides of this point. I think if I were in his shoes I'd skip it but I'm not ever going to have the chance to decide whether or not I play in the U.S. Open, so...

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was a factor:
link said:
Amanda, who turns 18 this month, is Mickelson and wife Amy's oldest child. She will be giving the commencement speech June 15, which is the first day of the U.S. Open.

Phil finished 2nd as recently as four years ago, so to say he has "no chance" is not really the case. Looking up the odds, Phil is listed at 30-1 with about 10 players with better odds than him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...USGA...the main haggling there could be to give him the latest tee time available on Thurs or something...at this late date no way either side can do a whole lot of shifting. Times...maybe, dates? no.
Would be cool, then he could retire and have his last win be a Major. Not quite as good as Big Jack, whose first win on tour was a Major and last win on tour was a Major, but still pretty damn good.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be cool, then he could retire and have his last win be a Major. Not quite as good as Big Jack, whose first win on tour was a Major and last win on tour was a Major, but still pretty damn good.

Phil might want to play one more RC but yeah, that would be cool.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was just hoping for a rain out for his daughters graduation I believe not for the U.S. Open to change the dates

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to see Phil close out the career grand slam with a USO win, but in this case I would do the same as he is.

Yeah it seems like he's trying to see if the USGA can work with him on the scheduling to fit it...it they can he'll be there to play, but they probably don't the total draw yet...I think some players are still trying to qualify maybe.

The school also could have possibly rescheduled with a little help from Phil's bank account.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But "should they" have though? I mean why should they have "caved" for a request like that? IF it was even requested that is