• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Mickelson plans to miss U.S. Open to attend daughter's high school graduation

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valedictorian changes my view a hair, but still, if my Dad missed that shit for work, I'd be upset, but his job is ghey af, and he's not Phil Mickelson.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the school look bad if they moved it from Thursday to Wednesday?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it changes where he stands.

If my dad missed the open to attend my high school graduation I'd have ridiculed him the rest of his days.

Seriously. It's just high school. Her wedding, of course, but a HS graduation ? Seems strange.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. He's not really competitive anymore. He'd have no chance of winning The Open and his daughter only graduates high school once.

But unless you're a real loser everyone graduates from HS. I attended both of my kids but it wasn't really viewed as some major once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment. If I had to miss one of them for a business trip or something, I guarantee it wouldn't have bothered them.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with bear....you guys are fegs.

....fuckin' high school graduation....cripes.

Maybe it was the high point of their lives for some of them.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His daughter is Valedictorian of her class and will be giving the commencement speech. He is obviously very proud of her accomplishments and is doing what I and any other real man would do.

Ok, didn't know that. That's much different. Everyone disregard my previous posts in this thread.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with bear....you guys are fegs.

....fuckin' high school graduation....cripes.
You are jealous because you never made it to graduation.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A part of me thinks that this is what he is trying to do here. To get the school & the USGA to adjust the schedules so he can do both. He has not officially withdrawn yet.

And his comment was interesting: “Barring something unforeseen, I won’t be there,”

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But unless you're a real loser everyone graduates from HS. I attended both of my kids but it wasn't really viewed as some major once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment. If I had to miss one of them for a business trip or something, I guarantee it wouldn't have bothered them.
It wouldn't have bothered me either. At least Mickelson's kid is valedictorian though so it may be a big deal to him. That's quite an accomplishment and he probably feels he should recognize it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let him skip it if he wants too. He has earned the right not to show up, especially to attend a graduation. It is strange that he hasn't officially withdrawn though as people have already mentioned.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickelson has nothing to prove as he has cemented his place as one of the best golfers of all time. His daughter's graduation is more important to him than a golf tournament and I commend him for that.

Well said......this time!!!! The rest of your posts.......are usually one sided, very questionable, political.
This Post I agree with you.

Phil has his priorities in order. Family first. Good for him.

Family First. Bottom Line....We all witnessed his Daughter running out to greet Phil after he won a tourney, so well done SIR, you owe your Daughter the SAME respect. Well Done Phil.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part does leaving your family fabulously wealthy play in this family first notion?

Little ms Mickleson's speech will be forgotten by the time the dimplomas are handed out. Her dad joining only three other players holding the modern slam will be talked about forever. The man has dedicated his entire life to that quest so again, if it was my dad, I'd plead with him to go win the open.

Still, I would hope the school could move the event.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they would...families could have out of town guest coming in, etc.

It's not like this has just come up...he's known the USO date since last year. and his daughter's graduation date at least since maybe Feb...he could've stroked them a check back then in favor of moving the graduation up a day or so

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part does leaving your family fabulously wealthy play in this family first notion?

Little ms Mickleson's speech will be forgotten by the time the dimplomas are handed out. Her dad joining only three other players holding the modern slam will be talked about forever. The man has dedicated his entire life to that quest so again, if it was my dad, I'd plead with him to go win the open.

Still, I would hope the school could move the event.

Well he's in the field so anything could happened so I'm not going there on the slam prospects....lol

You're right (she won't) most kids and the audience will have forgotten the speech pretty quickly, but it doesn't take away from the moment.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. He's not really competitive anymore. He'd have no chance of winning The Open and his daughter only graduates high school once.
Phil is still competitive in the major golf tournaments but is cutting back on other minor PGA events.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil is still competitive in the major golf tournaments but is cutting back on other minor PGA events.
I wish that were true. I would absolutely love to see him get a U.S. Open to complete the career slam.

Reactions: GNG