• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Mickelson plans to miss U.S. Open to attend daughter's high school graduation

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickelson plans to skip U.S. Open in 2 weeks

This one shocks the hell out of me.

If it was any other Torney but the US Open it would not surprise me at all. But with the history he has with 2nd place finishes ..to miss it for his daughters High School graduation? Her wedding ...yea that I would understand.

But this just seems really strange.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a combination of priorities and Phil just 'knows' that he ain't winning that trophy. I think in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really change where I think he ranks all time if he doesn't claim a US Open.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it changes where he stands.

If my dad missed the open to attend my high school graduation I'd have ridiculed him the rest of his days.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it was any other Torney but the US Open it would not surprise me at all. But with the history he has with 2nd place finishes ..to miss it for his daughters High School graduation? Her wedding ...yea that I would understand.

Mickelson has nothing to prove as he has cemented his place as one of the best golfers of all time. His daughter's graduation is more important to him than a golf tournament and I commend him for that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my dad missed the open to attend my high school graduation I'd have ridiculed him the rest of his days.
You most likely never graduated from high school.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a combination of priorities and Phil just 'knows' that he ain't winning that trophy. I think in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really change where I think he ranks all time if he doesn't claim a US Open.
His family is more important to him than playing in another tournament.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a day off work to attend my oldest daughter's graduation as well.

Reactions: GNG

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not me. He's not really competitive anymore. He'd have no chance of winning The Open and his daughter only graduates high school once.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it changes where he stands.

Heh, I agree. My Dad missed my graduation from basic training because he had just started OCS. I graduated tech school just in time to make his OCS graduation. That was ten years ago. I still give (good natured) him crap for it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think pretty highly of yourselves. If my pops was Phil fucking Mickelson, I would be totally fucking pissed if he skipped that shit for my dumb graduation. Graduations are like weddings on PCP.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with bear....you guys are fegs.

....fuckin' high school graduation....cripes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with GNG here.

HS graduation is pretty much assumed these days, I get that. But I think we're forgetting how much it means to the kid. As a father missing the "event" to work when he clearly doesn't need the money or the title would be a little shallow of Phil imo.

Last week we had a crew worker (hourly labor) take off work (unpaid) to attend his daughter's graduation...I thought that was big of him...family is family.

Reactions: GNG

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His daughter is Valedictorian of her class and will be giving the commencement speech. He is obviously very proud of her accomplishments and is doing what I and any other real man would do.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you guys see my post as criticism of Phil for missing the U.S. Open.
It's not, far from it.

It's just all seems out of character for Phi. We all know that Phil is a huge family man. But he has managed to work his family life and his tour life pretty well over 20 years.

But to miss the US Open? .....God bless him if that is what he wants to do but I just have the feeling this is not the whole story.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, he has not officially withdrawn yet and does not plan to till a day or 2 before.
He says that was done to give the USGA time to find an alternate.

If you are committed to going to the graduation ..why not officially withdraw now?

Maybe just maybe this was done to give the school & USGA time to fix the schedules so that Phil can do both.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you guys see my post as criticism of Phil for missing the U.S. Open.
It's not, far from it.

It's just all seems out of character for Phi. We all know that Phil is a huge family man. But he has managed to work his family life and his tour life pretty well over 20 years.

But to miss the US Open? .....God bless him if that is what he wants to do but I just have the feeling this is not the whole story.

It would be nice to see Phil close out the career grand slam with a USO win, but in this case I would do the same as he is.

Yeah it seems like he's trying to see if the USGA can work with him on the scheduling to fit it...it they can he'll be there to play, but they probably don't the total draw yet...I think some players are still trying to qualify maybe.