• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll on Darrell Bevell

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify...

First thing's first. Carroll did not outright fire Smith. According to Smith himself, he (Carroll) wanted to move in a different direction at RB coach, but he did offer Smith the chance to stay on in a different role or stay with the running backs in a diminished capacity, which Smith chose not to do.

Also, Smith has apparently been considering retirement for the past two years anyway and I guess the main reason why he didn't retire before this past season was that Lynch suggested he stay on to coach Rawls. He also apparently told his players after the Hawks were eliminated this past season that he wasn't sure what he was going to do yet. If Carroll is looking for more continuity on offense and he wants to get the running game in particular re-established, it makes sense that he'd want someone coaching his running backs who hasn't been debating retirement for two years. But Carroll being Carroll, he didn't want to just kick Smith to the curb if Smith had any interest in coming back next season, hence the offer to stay on in one capacity or another.

As for Seto and Tatupu, it sounds like they each made the decision to move on for personal reasons. They weren't "let go" as far as I know.

We'll see what Chad Morton has to offer as running backs coach.

Former Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith says Pete Carroll wanted a change

Smith said it himself that it was on Carroll's terms, not his own... Carroll brought him into his office and said that he wanted to go in a different direction... Smith said he thought that he would've always left on his terms so he was surprised that wasn't the case...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS also mentioned on what were some of the problems last year...
No Marshawn, so no fear of our run game. Rawls might be a capable replacement but needs to avoid thinking too much.
Many players no longer hungry.
Too many young guys on the OL, but expects they improve this year compared to last year.

No mention of OC or OL coach(s) as excuses for last year.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB's coach should have been the last guy to take the fall. All RB's were banged up for long periods of time and the OL played mostly sub par to crappy. Smith shouldn't get blamed for that.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they scapegoated the black guy.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith said it himself that it was on Carroll's terms, not his own... Carroll brought him into his office and said that he wanted to go in a different direction... Smith said he thought that he would've always left on his terms so he was surprised that wasn't the case...

He had the opportunity to leave on his own terms though. He decided to come back anyway.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB's coach should have been the last guy to take the fall. All RB's were banged up for long periods of time and the OL played mostly sub par to crappy. Smith shouldn't get blamed for that.
I don't think he was blamed for it. Pete did want to make a change. I think SS grew a little tired of the gig. He would have preferred to end it on his terms but it didn't pan out that way.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was blamed for it. Pete did want to make a change. I think SS grew a little tired of the gig. He would have preferred to end it on his terms but it didn't pan out that way.

This season took a toll on everybody top to bottom. Let's see what our new RB coach can come up with.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the whole "no beast mode" thing was a bit surprising since we really didn't have "beast mode" the prev season either and the run game was as good as ever.

The claim the team wasn't as hungry made me chuckle as well. That's just something cliché to say after the fact that is pretty much impossible to prove either way. It's right up there with they "wanted it more" -- just something that's said as a replacement for one team just simply being better than another.

I like Sherman Smith as one of the first Hawks I remember as a kid, but I don't think much of what he said in that interview was all that enlightening. He has my respect for not coming across as bitter on the way out though.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest thing missing from our run game was wilson. He averaged 700 yards a season?

That masked a lot of our OL problems and opened things up all over the field. Without that, our O was exposed

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest thing missing from our run game was wilson. He averaged 700 yards a season?

That masked a lot of our OL problems and opened things up all over the field. Without that, our O was exposed

I'd expect to see that again. By the end of the year his mobility was almost back to 100%.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith isn't being blamed... Sometimes it's good to go in a different direction... Happens all the time in business... Mary Shottenheimer getting fired after a 14-2 record for example...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith isn't being blamed... Sometimes it's good to go in a different direction... Happens all the time in business... Mary Shottenheimer getting fired after a 14-2 record for example...

At least our running game will improve when the o-line gets better. SD has been in a downward spiral and now out of town since they fired Marty. The curse of Marty is true.