• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll on Darrell Bevell

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you would do back flips if we would have hired K Shanahan as OC.
Presently, Mr Shanahn is being labeled at the goat that cost Atl their 1st SB ever.
5 rushes in the 2nd half IIRC?
He should have ran 3 times when down at the 20 with 4 minutes left giving the Falcons a 2 score lead.
Well, they did have league MVP under center. It's not like they were asking Brock Osweiler to throw to protect the lead. And if Matt Ryan just throws it into the stands instead of taking those sacks that put them out of FG range....

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely different games. We lost driving to win the game and turned it over.
They lost playing not to lose.

They lost largely because they didnt run the ball

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
falcons fired their DC and DL coach. Teams do this all the time...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing teams do it all the time. Atlanta's case is a little less common.
I say the chances are slim that they are as good next year as this year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How often does New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay do it? Then throw in Seattle... What do these teams have in common? Being consistently, competitive...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new england has gone through quite a few OCs over the years actually, they didnt have to fire any of them though.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it largely depends on who they replace him with, but ATL firing the DC is a reactionary move that you normally see poorly run organizations make. That D is young and they improved significantly as the season went on. Also were missing their best CB. So now they go into the off-season with turnover at both coordinator spots.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it largely depends on who they replace him with, but ATL firing the DC is a reactionary move that you normally see poorly run organizations make. That D is young and they improved significantly as the season went on. Also were missing their best CB. So now they go into the off-season with turnover at both coordinator spots.

Plus given the fact that their defense was on the field for most of the second half due to their offense unable to move the ball. They just wore out. Remind me of the Seahawks and a few games this year

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus given the fact that their defense was on the field for most of the second half due to their offense unable to move the ball. They just wore out. Remind me of the Seahawks and a few games this year
Yeah, they may have been a bit tired. But one of the reasons they were on the field a lot is because they weren't stopping NE. Even if their O wasn't helping them out, you can still stop the other team to reduce the amount of time you spend out there on D.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprised at the change of DC, I would hope it is because he wanted a particular person as DC who is available. Otherwise would seem like a poor way to build a winning organization. Could be the owner wanting a scapegoat also.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John clayton explained it this way, since quinn got hired after the SB he had to hire assistants after most were already taken.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprised at the change of DC, I would hope it is because he wanted a particular person as DC who is available. Otherwise would seem like a poor way to build a winning organization. Could be the owner wanting a scapegoat also.

I would say it's 100% on the owner. He was on the sidelines in the spotlight and witnessed his team collapse.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they may have been a bit tired. But one of the reasons they were on the field a lot is because they weren't stopping NE. Even if their O wasn't helping them out, you can still stop the other team to reduce the amount of time you spend out there on D.

Yeah, I get that.. But look at how many tipped passes Brady got away with too...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was announced earlier this week that Sherman Smith will no longer be our running backs coach. He's been in that position since 2010.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was announced earlier this week that Sherman Smith will no longer be our running backs coach. He's been in that position since 2010.
Lofa is moving on as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate to see him move on, but hopefully Seahawks find another good RB coach.

Lofa is moving on as well.

Think he did OK, but Seahawks should be able to find someone good.

Kind of surprised to see these changes, but hopefully it works out.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read that it was Carroll's decision to go in a different direction there.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that it was Carroll's decision to go in a different direction there.

So, I guess that means that Carroll isn't so loyal to his coaches that he just can't part ways with one.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify...

First thing's first. Carroll did not outright fire Smith. According to Smith himself, he (Carroll) wanted to move in a different direction at RB coach, but he did offer Smith the chance to stay on in a different role or stay with the running backs in a diminished capacity, which Smith chose not to do.

Also, Smith has apparently been considering retirement for the past two years anyway and I guess the main reason why he didn't retire before this past season was that Lynch suggested he stay on to coach Rawls. He also apparently told his players after the Hawks were eliminated this past season that he wasn't sure what he was going to do yet. If Carroll is looking for more continuity on offense and he wants to get the running game in particular re-established, it makes sense that he'd want someone coaching his running backs who hasn't been debating retirement for two years. But Carroll being Carroll, he didn't want to just kick Smith to the curb if Smith had any interest in coming back next season, hence the offer to stay on in one capacity or another.

As for Seto and Tatupu, it sounds like they each made the decision to move on for personal reasons. They weren't "let go" as far as I know.

We'll see what Chad Morton has to offer as running backs coach.

Former Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith says Pete Carroll wanted a change