• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll on Darrell Bevell

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dare you use caps when referring to me!!! All good, I was saying he single handedly cost us the super bowl if he was the one that won us the one in the previous year. The point was missed and continued far longer than necessary.

My personal opinion of the guy isn't very positive, but by no means can he be blamed for everything. Last time I checked we have a majority of our cap tied up in a defense that allowed 36 to the Falcons and had zero answers for them. Not to take away from Atlanta and their performance, but our defense is as much to blame as Bevell or even Brian Schneider for the lack of discipline on special teams.

Okay, I was being a lot unfair.

<walks off grumbling>

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Mike Sando to where he looks at both the offense & defense the past four seasons.

C2Yn7LzUoAAPkPj.jpg

Wow great stats and this clarifies discussions I had during the Packer/Seahawk week back in Dec where I had suggested that a big problem for Seattle was with the defense and that it was aging, that it had regressed and that it is paid quite a bit of money. In looking at the last 4 drafts team management has not drafted one player that is currently listed as a defensive starter. Situations like that can limit team depth and as older players get hurt or become less effective. I always use to see big plays off of turnovers and Seattle scoring with pick 6s or good field position for the offense. The difference in turnover margin is a big factor in the difference

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dare you use caps when referring to me!!! All good, I was saying he single handedly cost us the super bowl if he was the one that won us the one in the previous year. The point was missed and continued far longer than necessary.

My personal opinion of the guy isn't very positive, but by no means can he be blamed for everything. Last time I checked we have a majority of our cap tied up in a defense that allowed 36 to the Falcons and had zero answers for them. Not to take away from Atlanta and their performance, but our defense is as much to blame as Bevell or even Brian Schneider for the lack of discipline on special teams.

Fair points.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the only people on earth who aren't currently aging are dead people

But I digress... We had something like the 7th youngest roster in the league this year and if I remember correctly, the difference between the youngest roster in the league and our roster was an average of about six months. Defensively, we had four guys aged 30 and older, none older than 31, they're all on the defensive line and two of them are going to the Pro Bowl this year. I don't think age was a detriment to those guys. Aside from those four, the only other guy on the current roster over the age of 30 is Devin Hester. He was only here for two weeks and he did pretty well for himself coming in cold just in time for the playoffs. He's apparently retiring soon or has retired and won't be on the roster next year unless Lockett is slow to recover and we can talk him out of it for as long as we need him.

Age didn't doom the defense or the team as a whole. Injuries did. Injuries on defense in particular were a theme all season. We lost both Bennett and Chancellor for about a month in the middle of the season and we lost Thomas for almost two months at the end of the season. It also came out after the Atlanta playoff game that Sherman has been playing hurt for probably a couple of months now. You take players like that out of your lineup for weeks at a time or they stay in but play hobbled for half the season, it's going to have an impact. Credit to Atlanta for taking advantage of it. I'm willing to bet, though, that if all those guys come back on time and healthy next year, and stay healthy all year, any talk of their age as a negative will disappear. Right now, the only health situation I have real concerns about is Shead. His injury was significant and of all the guys who got hurt this season, he's the only one that I absolutely expect will miss time next year recovering. It appears that the Hawks have signed Parrish Cox to take his place, but my gut says that's only temporary.

Long story short... this was a banged up defense all year, but they're all still in their primes and I have full confidence that they'll be back to being dominant as long as they heal up on time and stay healthy all year. If the offense can get healthy and help them out too, that would be great as well.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow great stats and this clarifies discussions I had during the Packer/Seahawk week back in Dec where I had suggested that a big problem for Seattle was with the defense and that it was aging, that it had regressed and that it is paid quite a bit of money. In looking at the last 4 drafts team management has not drafted one player that is currently listed as a defensive starter. Situations like that can limit team depth and as older players get hurt or become less effective. I always use to see big plays off of turnovers and Seattle scoring with pick 6s or good field position for the offense. The difference in turnover margin is a big factor in the difference

Heh, yeah that's EXACTLY what he's saying in those stats.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short... this was a banged up defense all year, but they're all still in their primes and I have full confidence that they'll be back to being dominant as long as they heal up on time and stay healthy all year. If the offense can get healthy and help them out too, that would be great as well.

The thing that concerns me is the wear and tear on this defense... IMO, we're going to have to deal with injuries like we did this year over the next few years until we can get some younger studs... I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 guys get hurt from our core each year... It's bound to happen as they age... This year, it could be Sherman and Wagner... Who knows... I know that's just heresay but what I've learned this year is we need to develop our depth again on defense... Outside Sherman, our DB's weren't that good imo... Shead shouldn't be starting Corner... Our depth on the DL is solid but we need more depth at DB (at least 2 more) and at LB... I'd prefer to see a new OLB in the draft that would compete for the starting job opposite KJ...

Last edited:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that concerns me is the wear and tear on this defense... IMO, we're going to have to deal with injuries like we did this year with an aging defense like ours... I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 guys get hurt from our core each year... It's bound to happen as they age... This year, it could be Sherman and Wagner... Who knows... I know that's just heresay but what I've learned this year is we need to develop our depth again on defense... Outside Sherman, our DB's weren't that good imo... Shead shouldn't be starting Corner... Our depth on the DL is solid but we need more depth at DB (at least 2 more) and at LB... I'd prefer to see a new OLB in the draft that would compete for the starting job opposite KJ...

What I'd like to see for our D:

Starting SAM
Starting CB (I think Shead walks, personally)
Pass rushing DT (and hopefully he can play downs 1 & 2 as well)
Nickel CB
Re-sign McCray or get a hybrid S that can back up both SS and FS with a modicum of skill.

Nothing too demanding, huh.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'd like to see for our D:

Starting SAM
Starting CB (I think Shead walks, personally)
Pass rushing DT (and hopefully he can play downs 1 & 2 as well)
Nickel CB
Re-sign McCray or get a hybrid S that can back up both SS and FS with a modicum of skill.

Nothing too demanding, huh.

I'm 100% on track with what you'd like to see... SAM was a huge gap for the team this year, imo... I'm ok if Shead walks... I'd like to sign Nick Fairly this offseason as a pass rushing DT... He's a very good player that hasn't been in the right situation as of yet... I like McCary too... He's one of our FA's that we need to resign...

I think we'll address SAM and DB in the draft this year...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 100% on track with what you'd like to see... SAM was a huge gap for the team this year, imo... I'm ok if Shead walks... I'd like to sign Nick Fairly this offseason as a pass rushing DT... He's a very good player that hasn't been in the right situation as of yet... I like McCary too... He's one of our FA's that we need to resign...

I think we'll address SAM and DB in the draft this year...

I've been looking into Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt. Kid played ILB this past season, but played outside earlier. He looks like he could be a nice looking prospect for sam. He's about the size of guys Pete likes at LB (6'4" 230 I think), he's fast and from what I've seen he takes on and sheds blocks well. I think there's a decent chance that he's there at #26.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been looking into Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt. Kid played ILB this past season, but played outside earlier. He looks like he could be a nice looking prospect for sam. He's about the size of guys Pete likes at LB (6'4" 230 I think), he's fast and from what I've seen he takes on and sheds blocks well. I think there's a decent chance that he's there at #26.

I've heard of the guy... I would be excited if we could land him for that position... I personally feel like we've missed B. Irvin a lot...

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about who they would have to displace, Kam, earl, Sherman, K.J, Wagner, Avril, Bennett?

So yeah, you would hope that Cassius marsh and frank Clark play significant minutes. I think that jarran reed has room to grow. I really liked the motor on Demantre Moore, even if it was for two games or so before he got hurt. Did anyone expect tye smith to displace shead or Lane?

CB and DT should be addressed someway somehow. I would be fine if they brought back Mike Morgan, he plays decent enough when healthy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, this defense isn't old. It may be older than the '13 or '14 version, but the key guys are all still in their 20s except for Bennett and Avril, and those 2 are still playing at a really high level. The D wasn't as good this year, but it was still top 10, and when you miss nearly a half season from ET, 4 games each from guys like Kam Chancellor and MB, it's pretty unreasonable to expect no dropoff. Performance of the offense has something to do with it as well. And about the 'starter' thing, well, Frank Clark and Jarran Reed are key players despite what the label is. This has also been a really tough lineup to crack.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense was largely irrelevent.

As far as criticism of bevell, he is untouchable for the most part. If we lose, its the defense, its wilson, its carroll, its anyone but bevell.

If wilson is making bad decisions, bevell is his coach he is responsible for preparing his qb.

Arguably wilson would be better under a better OC.
I'm sure you would do back flips if we would have hired K Shanahan as OC.
Presently, Mr Shanahn is being labeled at the goat that cost Atl their 1st SB ever.
5 rushes in the 2nd half IIRC?
He should have ran 3 times when down at the 20 with 4 minutes left giving the Falcons a 2 score lead.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wasnt going to remark, but since you brought it up, it was looking like bevell had taken over play calling duties for the falcons.

speaking of falcons OC, they hired sarkisian to run their offense.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they'll give him a life coach like one of the players.

'Keys please Steve...'

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wasnt going to remark, but since you brought it up, it was looking like bevell had taken over play calling duties for the falcons.

speaking of falcons OC, they hired sarkisian to run their offense.
Yes they did, and the uninformed will bash him for many of his calls. Note that Atlanta has a better line (in before you mention Cable) and better running backs the Seattle has.
They barely got the 1st round bye from us. To hear you talk one would think we couldn't carry their jock straps.

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never liked Bevell and would be happy if he was let go, but he's not the sole issue for sure. Like people have said before, Carroll wants a low chance offense that's controlled with little turnovers. For the life of me, I don't know why we don't open it up more, but they don't. As for Bevell, whether people like him or not, the fact that nobody ever offers him head coaching jobs is telling.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never liked Bevell and would be happy if he was let go, but he's not the sole issue for sure. Like people have said before, Carroll wants a low chance offense that's controlled with little turnovers. For the life of me, I don't know why we don't open it up more, but they don't. As for Bevell, whether people like him or not, the fact that nobody ever offers him head coaching jobs is telling.

They DID open it up in the second half of '15, that was when Wilson and Baldwin went on their historic tear.

I believe that was what they planned for this year, but Suh happened to Wilson in week #1, and the whole plan was delayed.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they did, and the uninformed will bash him for many of his calls. Note that Atlanta has a better line (in before you mention Cable) and better running backs the Seattle has.
They barely got the 1st round bye from us. To hear you talk one would think we couldn't carry their jock straps.

They did beat us pretty handily.

They made bad decisions with a huge lead, apparently quinn didnt learn from our SB loss.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did beat us pretty handily.

They made bad decisions with a huge lead, apparently quinn didnt learn from our SB loss.
Completely different games. We lost driving to win the game and turned it over.
They lost playing not to lose.