• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perine has to step up now

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was my point
your point wasnt that at all . i said expecting a 4th round RB to "step up " after 1/2 of seasoning wasnt likely to happen . they need more time and history backs my point up

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your point wasnt that at all . i said expecting a 4th round RB to "step up " after 1/2 of seasoning wasnt likely to happen . they need more time and history backs my point up

my point was a lot of rookie Rb's do play well in the NFL.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so right now i have AM as a 4th rounder or lower who played well as a rookie . there arent that many

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you.
ok then , well expect perine to need time to work things out , first not hurrying the play and let blocks develop . that could take time . holding onto the ball in both passing and running game , picking up blocking assignments , the toughest things to learn . kelley played because he can block

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run to pass ratio
NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Passing Play Percentage on TeamRankings.com
passing
NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Rushing Play Percentage on TeamRankings.com
rushing

There's something inherently wrong with the amount of passing we do on 3rd n short, 2 yards or less and its not all on the RBs,

I am old school, we need more of a balance attack and you don't necessary need a top notch RB. It would help acourse but when it is 2nd /3rd and long we need to run the ball. It's all about execution and good blocking.

Sorry I meant short.

Skindad and Socalwizfan I cannot argue with your point. Sometimes it takes time. I am always pulling for Perine he's from OU. But what I am saying is Gruden is to impatient with the RG and I think alot of Gruden problems is the execution and the running strategy. Like I said Gruden never been known for constructing a good running game. Never!!!!! If you look at 2016 stats you will see the same thing and our OL was not decimate like it is this yr. Check out the stats and this is not very often, when our RB run for over 100 yds. So my whole point is part of the problem is far more than who the RB is but more with Gruden pass happy off. Like I said Reed is not known for his blocking and look at our WR's. Gruden whole Off ideology is gear toward the passing game. Now this my 2 cents and I know everybody have different views.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I meant short.

Skindad and Socalwizfan I cannot argue with your point. Sometimes it takes time. I am always pulling for Perine he's from OU. But what I am saying is Gruden is to impatient with the RG and I think alot of Gruden problems is the execution and the running strategy. Like I said Gruden never been known for constructing a good running game. Never!!!!! If you look at 2016 stats you will see the same thing and our OL was not decimate like it is this yr. Check out the stats and this is not very often, when our RB run for over 100 yds. So my whole point is part of the problem is far more than who the RB is but more with Gruden pass happy off. Like I said Reed is not known for his blocking and look at our WR's. Gruden whole Off ideology is gear toward the passing game. Now this my 2 cents and I know everybody have different views.

No - fair pts. I guess my pt now is that it is hard to evaluate currently w/ injuries issues at OL & the starting RB & the fumbling issues for Perine. Ditto last season for the disappointing play & fumbles at times for M. Jones. However you make a good pt & you also perhaps expand this to the draft. I hope that they use a relatively high pick on a RB next season since this area is a real problem now. A 4th rd pick might be the answer, but you can't bank on it. Also - I would hope that Gruden evolves in this area (especially since he will likely be the coach for a while).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably. Perine was a stud in college. Im shocked its taking this long. Hopefully he produces.

This long? Boy you have absolutely no patience. You expect 4th rd picks to be stars rt away? Give me a break. He was taken in that rd for a reason. You can talk about RBs not being that valuable in the draft, but 2 were taken in the top 8 picks & 2 more in the 2nd rd. Perine obviously is not at their level so it is expected that he will take longer to develop (perhaps not even in 1st season). His fumbling issues also limited his time (as they should). I also hope that he thrives for the remainder of the season (& could benefit from better OL health), but will not be ready to kill him if he falls short this season.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This long? Boy you have absolutely no patience. You expect 4th rd picks to be stars rt away? Give me a break. He was taken in that rd for a reason. You can talk about RBs not being that valuable in the draft, but 2 were taken in the top 8 picks & 2 more in the 2nd rd. Perine obviously is not at their level so it is expected that he will take longer to develop (perhaps not even in 1st season). His fumbling issues also limited his time (as they should). I also hope that he thrives for the remainder of the season (& could benefit from better OL health), but will not be ready to kill him if he falls short this season.

I think he would of been taken a lot higher if it wasn't for this deep talented RB class.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok then , well expect perine to need time to work things out , first not hurrying the play and let blocks develop . that could take time . holding onto the ball in both passing and running game , picking up blocking assignments , the toughest things to learn . kelley played because he can block

If Perine doesn't show any more promise than he already has. Do you advocate looking at the early rounds 1-3 to acquire a RB? For me personally, if the RB position is something the FO addresses via the draft. I really hope they go after/get a player who has experience in both blocking in pass protection as well as catching the rock. A bigger stronger Chris Thompson is someone like that were available.

Also FA could be an avenue the Skins take to acquire a RB. Maybe Murray from Tenn or Blount from Philly or maybe Ingram from the Saints.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I meant short.

Didn't he (Gruden) have a pretty decent running game with Benson and Ben Jarvis-Ellis as the bell cows at Cincy? Never-mind. I just checked. They did run the ball if not better than us, noticeably more at Cincy when Gruden was there as opposed to his time here.

In 2011 Cincy had 455 rushes, in 2012 they had 430 rushes and in 2013 they had 481 rushes.

In the 3 years Gruden has been here the Skins have 401 rushes in 2014, 429 rushes in 2015 and only 379 rushes last year.

Mind you that's just looking at stats with no context to em. We seem to play our share of games from behind, especially in the 2nd half. Cincy could've been playing with a lead for much of those 3 years, I dunno.

Personally I think we just need a thumper. A RB that can handle 20 carries and get us 77+ yards a game who's consistent in coming up good in short yardage and goal line. As we just seem utterly terrible in those situations. I don't think its all on the RBs though. Did you see that penetration Minny got on Chris Thompson's 4th down run. Minny's DL met Thompson 4 freakin yards in the backfield.

I have wondered if a Trent/The Schreff combo on the same side would serve the Skins better rushing-wise. But Schreff. while very impressive at times, has been manhandled on occasion, like was on that CT 4th dn run. Can't say I've seen Trent get out-physical-ed run-blocking-wise. I also suspect the Schreff might've been hurting as well on CT's run....which

brings me to another aspect I waste far too much time thinking about. I wonder if it would be better to not necessarily give a game away, but slow down on trying to get hurt players back in the mix as soon as possible. For example. Would it have done any good to keep Jordan Reed on the shelf for the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season trying and let him actually get healthy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Perine doesn't show any more promise than he already has. Do you advocate looking at the early rounds 1-3 to acquire a RB? For me personally, if the RB position is something the FO addresses via the draft. I really hope they go after/get a player who has experience in both blocking in pass protection as well as catching the rock. A bigger stronger Chris Thompson is someone like that were available.

Also FA could be an avenue the Skins take to acquire a RB. Maybe Murray from Tenn or Blount from Philly or maybe Ingram from the Saints.

answer yes because it might turn out perine is a BU runner only

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes to the draft & I would advocate that even if Perine does well. You need all the help that you can get at RB. I don't foresee the Skins having too much talent at this position anytime soon.

No to all of the FAs that you mention. Blount will be 31 in Dec, Murray 30 early next year & Ingram 28 in Dec. Sorry but history shows that RBs at or near 30 don't produce that well & would especially be an issue if any of these guys ask for a lot of $$ (which would be case for Murray & likely Ingram plus I think both will want to stay put).

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to the draft & I would advocate that even if Perine does well. You need all the help that you can get at RB. I don't foresee the Skins having too much talent at this position anytime soon.

No to all of the FAs that you mention. Blount will be 31 in Dec, Murray 30 early next year & Ingram 28 in Dec. Sorry but history shows that RBs at or near 30 don't produce that well & would especially be an issue if any of these guys ask for a lot of $$ (which would be case for Murray & likely Ingram plus I think both will want to stay put).

Yeah, I hear ya. I wouldn't wanna pursue a veteran RB looking for big money either. There is something to be said though about a player who's proven he can do what it is you're looking for.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft: Running Back Rankings

Well - since we are on this topic here is one list of the projected top RBs in next year's draft. The Redskins obviously are not going to get Barkley, but how about any of these other RBs? For those of you here who have a good feel for the college game & these players who else do you believe that the Redskins should pursue from this list?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft: Running Back Rankings

Well - since we are on this topic here is one list of the projected top RBs in next year's draft. The Redskins obviously are not going to get Barkley, but how about any of these other RBs? For those of you here who have a good feel for the college game & these players who else do you believe that the Redskins should pursue from this list?

my pick would be josh adams