• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens News/Links

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point about the two of Cole and Dumoulin. What you see from those guys right now is what you get. I guess that is my point about Maatta is that he hasn't reached his ceiling, yet. And it's likely not going to be determined for at least another 1 to 2 seasons being that he's only 22 and has missed significant time in his young career. And even in another 1 to 2, that still might not be enough time, as Schultz is a great example of how long you have to wait sometimes for defensemen to really complete the transition to the NHL.

I totally agree with you being that he is only 22 and become more. I think though for Schultz, he finally got into a system/team that used his potential properly.

On another note, If Letang, Maatta, Schultz, Dumoulin, Cole and Pouliot were there 6 for next year then we know that all fell into place properly with the expansion draft, contracts and Pouliot's improvement. I don't see that happening with Cole a possible expansion pick and Pouliot not making the team, along with the big raises that Schultz and Dumoulin might take. Thats why I am wondering if they value Maatta at 4 million at year enought at the expense of other d-men?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting that expansion draft is a crap shoot.

Rutherford has talked in the recent past about making a deal directly with LV that would say something to the effect of if the Knights agree not to take Matt Murray then the Pens could leave him unprotected, and the Pens would compensate LV by including a highly prized player in the organization to them in the expansion draft. Perhaps a guy like Maatta. Then the goalie situation is solved for the near term. In any case, I wouldn't be opposed to leaving Maatta unprotected at the time of the expansion draft. His contract will play a role in LV's decision, as will his play the rest of the way this year.

However, the thing I'm hoping for more than anything is that Rutherford trades Fleury by the deadline this season, and the combination of flower's contract being removed and replaced by a way less expensive back-up's contract, then there is plenty of money to work an extension with Dumoulin, who is RFA, and possibly an extension for Cole, who has a year remaining after this. Daley is UFA at the end of this season, and if he returns from his injury and continues to play well, I think he will price himself out of Pittsburgh.

Ultimately, I'm hoping Rutherford finds a way to keep Maatta, Schultz, Dumoulin and Cole for a few more seasons.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins...flightless, often injured birds/hockey players!

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uggg...not Cullen. dude's been impressive this entire season. He will be missed.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The silver lining we get a longer look at Jake Guentzel.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The silver lining we get a longer look at Jake Guentzel.

That silver lining is looking pretty valuable right now! Guentzel has a goal and 2 assists in four games since his recall, and in 9 games played this season he has 4 goals and 3 assists. Jake's lucky that he slots in on Evgeni Malkin's wing. Playing beside a guy who is going at the rate Geno is right now must be nice for the rookie. However, he doesn't look out of place. I like this kid, a lot. Guentzel needs to bulk up, but his skill level cannot be denied. He's a lock to play in the top nine somewhere.

Have the Pens ever been this flush with scoring wingers? They've got them coming out of their ears, right now!

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That silver lining is looking pretty valuable right now! Guentzel has a goal and 2 assists in four games since his recall, and in 9 games played this season he has 4 goals and 3 assists. Jake's lucky that he slots in on Evgeni Malkin's wing. Playing beside a guy who is going at the rate Geno is right now must be nice for the rookie. However, he doesn't look out of place. I like this kid, a lot. Guentzel needs to bulk up, but his skill level cannot be denied. He's a lock to play in the top nine somewhere.

Have the Pens ever been this flush with scoring wingers? They've got them coming out of their ears, right now!
Truthfully I don't remember any other time in the past with some much talented top 6 forward types in their system. We can't forget Sprong who sadly didn't get a real chance his first time. I can't wait to see what he does under Sullivan's system.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the injury front, guess who was placed on IR for the Devils? Yep you guessed it our buddy Beau.
I'm surprised it took him this long to get on IR again.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We didn't need another reason to remind ourselves about the fact that the NHL is mis-managed by a group of dinosaurs, and the game is mostly commentated on by a pack of old, white and racist sports writers, but we've got a new reason, anyway.

The fact that they managed to leave off the second leading scorer in PPG of all-time among currently active hockey players in the NHL doesn't come to me as much of a surprise when you just preface it with my sentence, above.

The best and most exciting team sport in the world is managed by the worst group of imbeciles.

Mario is still right, it's a garage league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of managed by dinosaurs, why did they saddle the two best and most exciting players on the Metro roster with probably the least talented player in the All Star game as their defenseman? It would have been something to see if Crosby and Ovechkin got Faulk or Jones as their defenseman, but they got turnover-machine and "defensive defenseman" Ryan McDonagh instead, much to my chagrin.