• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State to play VT

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a long time to wait for this great game.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa., August 14, 2013 - Penn State Director of Athletics Dave Joyner and Virginia Tech Athletic Director Jim Weaver today announced the first gridiron meeting between the Nittany Lions and Hokies.

Penn State will visit Blacksburg on September 17, 2022 and Virginia Tech will travel to Beaver Stadium on Sept. 16, 2023. Earlier this week, the Nittany Lions announced their first meeting with San Diego State, which will take place Sept. 26, 2015 in State College.

"We are excited to be able to announce this football series with Virginia Tech," Joyner said. "Virginia Tech is an opponent our alumni and fans have been asking about adding to the schedule. I am very appreciative of the efforts of Jim Weaver to make this long-awaited match-up come to fruition."

Despite having campuses located less than 375 miles apart, Penn State and Virginia Tech have never met. The Nittany Lions have played Virginia (5-3), VMI (1-0) and William & Mary (4-0) from The Old Dominion, earning a cumulative 10-3 on-field record.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, 2 wins against a team that's way over rated on an annual basis. Should've been playing them for years now.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, 2 wins against a team that's way over rated on an annual basis. Should've been playing them for years now.

:rofl:

Yep. The current 11 and 12 year olds who will be playing in the game are already overrated. Beamer's replacement, who we dont know will be yet, is also overrated. Damn we cant catch a break.

I do agree with your last sentence tho.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q: What happens when you drive slowly through Blacksburg?
A: You get a degree.

Q: Why do Va. Tech grads hang their diplomas on their rear view mirrors?
A: They have to show some proof that they deserve to park in that handicap parking space.

Q: Why don't Hokies have ice on the sidelines during their games?
A: The guy with the recipe graduated.

Q: What's the difference between the Va. Tech Hokies and Frosted Flakes?
A: Frosted Flakes know what to do when they are in a bowl.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we'll actually play both games, unlike Virginia.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we'll actually play both games, unlike Virginia.

I wish we'd play a longer series with them. Screw playing Uva, I'd rather play the Hokies. Would love to see the Georgia home-home that was being discussed a few years ago happen as well.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see PSU continue the recent trend of getting games against teams in that 350 mile radius. I think a series against Vtech helps recruiting more than one against Georgia.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see PSU continue the recent trend of getting games against teams in that 350 mile radius. I think a series against Vtech helps recruiting more than one against Georgia.

Not if you want to recruit nationally and get into the South, which is what the staff wants to do. Never hurts to play high profile opponents on national TV and be the focal point of the national broadcasts for a week leading up either.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like playing Florida, Miami, Georgia, or Texas. Good teams to play in South if they would face us.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like playing Florida, Miami, Georgia, or Texas. Good teams to play in South if they would face us.

We have had several series with Miami and played Texas home-home in early 90's (could be a conference game eventually) They were discussing a home-home with UGA not long ago, problem is getting teams to come North, not many will. Bama is another we've played several series with.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you want to recruit nationally and get into the South, which is what the staff wants to do. Never hurts to play high profile opponents on national TV and be the focal point of the national broadcasts for a week leading up either.

Who was the last big time recruit from SEC country we landed? Lets not count Mauti or others with strong family ties.

Even if the staff makes a huge push to get guys down there, I think it is going to be very rare that a Southern with offers from the entire SEC to chose PSU.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last big time recruit from SEC country we landed? Lets not count Mauti or others with strong family ties.

Even if the staff makes a huge push to get guys down there, I think it is going to be very rare that a Southern with offers from the entire SEC to chose PSU.

What would you consider SEC country, South of Mason Dixon line or in the deep South?? We got the #1 overall player in the Nation in derrick Williams not long ago and Hack had offers from everyone and Bama wanted him BAD. Last bigtime kid from down south would probably be D'Anton Lynn from Texas. Before that probably Courtney Brown. Staff just quit recruiting there. The new staff already landed a stud 4 star QB from Florida for this upcoming class, so they are already making strides

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you consider SEC country, South of Mason Dixon line or in the deep South?? We got the #1 overall player in the Nation in derrick Williams not long ago and Hack had offers from everyone and Bama wanted him BAD. Last bigtime kid from down south would probably be D'Anton Lynn from Texas. Before that probably Courtney Brown. Staff just quit recruiting there. The new staff already landed a stud 4 star QB from Florida for this upcoming class, so they are already making strides

I'd consider Williams from MD and Hack from Virginia absolutely in our wheelhouse. Much farther and I start to worry about efficient resource use if the staff spends too much time chasing kids from across the country.

I forgot Lynn was from Texas, nice pick-up.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd consider Williams from MD and Hack from Virginia absolutely in our wheelhouse. Much farther and I start to worry about efficient resource use if the staff spends too much time chasing kids from across the country.

I forgot Lynn was from Texas, nice pick-up.

before him, probably Rodney Kinlaw. e was a 4 star on at least 1 site, but he was also related to Courtney Brown