• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State 2018 Recruiting Thread

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Micah, before everyone goes too crazy. He was going to take visits all along and has been enjoying the process a little too much on social media. He stayed overnight at BW game, went to baseball game with Franklin Sunday and then had some weird tweets before decommit last night. He was working players for PSU Saturday, mainly Young, but i think Franklin tried to get him to either lock it down or consider himself not committed. I don't think we are in any different a spot than we were before he "officially" decommitted....ie, we still have to stay on him and work our ass off to keep him in PA......just think Franklin was tired of the circus surrounding the entire thing and him always showing up other places and playing it up big on social media. I also think his best bud Anderson Butts may have gotten some news he didn't like....meaning he is down the list because of his grades and may not have a spot. Still feel that if we continue to produce on the field and keep our national buzz going he ends up sticking close to his support system and the place that is most likely to keep him from ending up the next Noah Spence. Either way, we can now go get 2 top flight DE like Hardy and Tyreke Smith without worrying about numbers and you always have a spot for Parsons who will probably drag it out and make a grand announcement on signing day. The players going forward will be th esame as they have been...3 main dogs in fight.....PSU, OSU, Georgia with Clemson, Bama and some other southern schools pushing very hard.

In the end, its good to be in a spot where we don't have to be held hostage by ANY commits, we can land 4-5 stars up and down roster now....might as well get use to this kind of stuff now that we are back at this level...happens everywhere, Bama, OSU, Florida State...everywhere....nobody is going to stop going after 5 star kids till ink is dry

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Micah, before everyone goes too crazy. He was going to take visits all along and has been enjoying the process a little too much on social media. He stayed overnight at BW game, went to baseball game with Franklin Sunday and then had some weird tweets before decommit last night. He was working players for PSU Saturday, mainly Young, but i think Franklin tried to get him to either lock it down or consider himself not committed. I don't think we are in any different a spot than we were before he "officially" decommitted....ie, we still have to stay on him and work our ass off to keep him in PA......just think Franklin was tired of the circus surrounding the entire thing and him always showing up other places and playing it up big on social media. I also think his best bud Anderson Butts may have gotten some news he didn't like....meaning he is down the list because of his grades and may not have a spot. Still feel that if we continue to produce on the field and keep our national buzz going he ends up sticking close to his support system and the place that is most likely to keep him from ending up the next Noah Spence. Either way, we can now go get 2 top flight DE like Hardy and Tyreke Smith without worrying about numbers and you always have a spot for Parsons who will probably drag it out and make a grand announcement on signing day. The players going forward will be th esame as they have been...3 main dogs in fight.....PSU, OSU, Georgia with Clemson, Bama and some other southern schools pushing very hard.

In the end, its good to be in a spot where we don't have to be held hostage by ANY commits, we can land 4-5 stars up and down roster now....might as well get use to this kind of stuff now that we are back at this level...happens everywhere, Bama, OSU, Florida State...everywhere....nobody is going to stop going after 5 star kids till ink is dry

I just don't see him landing with us. He got introduced to the big dawgs and it will be hard to get him to recommit. Being from PA I thought we had a excellent chance until he opened up his recruitment. Oh well only time will tell to see who we actually land.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see him landing with us. He got introduced to the big dawgs and it will be hard to get him to recommit. Being from PA I thought we had a excellent chance until he opened up his recruitment. Oh well only time will tell to see who we actually land.

Look at our class, Franklin has woken the sleeping giant, we are a big dawg again. his dad loves the process and attention and will milk it for all its worth. Franklin actually didn't even want to take his commit when he pulled trigger knowing this would likely happen. He made him hold off several times prior. I think if he took visits low key and didn't make such a scene and crave so much attention over them, he'd still be committed. We'll see, but like I said, one player isn't making or breaking us anymore....if we had lost players like Simmons, Sanders, Thorpe the last couple years it would've hurt a lot more. with the program starting to hit on all cylinders again, we'll get our's whether Micah signs an LOI with us or not.

Curious to see where he stands after he takes a Southern swing to FSU, Bama, Clemson and UGA (again). People assume he's a buckeye lock, but he's very impressionable as is his dad.

Here's a link with quotes from Micah, not the gloom and doom many think Rivals.com - 5-star Micah Parsons decommits from Penn State

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree with parts of what both of you said. I'm not bullish on Parsons recommitting simply because if you just look at recruiting as a whole, only a very small % of kids re commit to a school they decomitted from. That being said, like LBU was saying he really hasn't been fully "committed" for a while now and it's better for him to do this now and open up the spot than for him to keep feeding the charade. LBU is right I think JF has reclaimed the "big dawg" status for PSU and they will be able to get some good players in place of Parsons, mainly Hardy and and maybe Smith, and have a spot ready whenever Micah is ready to commit again.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree with parts of what both of you said. I'm not bullish on Parsons recommitting simply because if you just look at recruiting as a whole, only a very small % of kids re commit to a school they decomitted from. That being said, like LBU was saying he really hasn't been fully "committed" for a while now and it's better for him to do this now and open up the spot than for him to keep feeding the charade. LBU is right I think JF has reclaimed the "big dawg" status for PSU and they will be able to get some good players in place of Parsons, mainly Hardy and and maybe Smith, and have a spot ready whenever Micah is ready to commit again.

It shows how far we've come in a short time when losing the #3 overall player in nation only drops you to #3 recruiting class

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU commit Justin Shorter DOMINATED the NJ Opening Regional yesterday. Looks like a 5th star could be in hus future. Also interesting, it looks like PSU is the leader for both 4* WR Jahan Dotson and 4* DE Dorian Hardy, who would both be excellent pickups.

LBU do you think they take 3 WR? Looks like they have a lot of options Enis, George, SAB, Dotson etc. I think Dotson, Shorter, George would be a fantastic group. And with the loss of Parsons, that leaves no DL committed. Who do you think they end up with there? I know they're in on a lot of big names like Hardy, Mustipher, Smith etc.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they definitely take 3, possibly 4. They love George and I think he pops by mid summer, Dotson possibkly announcing by end of May....I think they may still take Enis as well. SAB is going to be a long shot for this class for a couple reasons. First, his grades are bad and second he's behind all of those guys on PSU board

Hardy and Friday look good for DL, Mustipher looking up and Oweh is very intriuging, athletic freak DE prospect as well. I still think better than 50/50 we get Parsons back in end as well FWIW.

Think we sit very well with Isheem Young and Kwantell Raines as well

Last edited:

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just landed Bryce Effner, 6'5", 275, OT, Aurora IL, 3 Star. Get him in the cafeteria and weight room.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just landed Bryce Effner, 6'5", 275, OT, Aurora IL, 3 Star. Get him in the cafeteria and weight room.

With our weight and nutrition program, he'll be fine in that area. Surprised he was a take right now, the staff really seems to like him though and I'll trust their judgement. People who I trust that know a lot more about evaluating OL than I do seem to really like him from his film as well

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With our weight and nutrition program, he'll be fine in that area. Surprised he was a take right now, the staff really seems to like him though and I'll trust their judgement. People who I trust that know a lot more about evaluating OL than I do seem to really like him from his film as well

Where does this leave us on the OL? Do they take one more? It seems like there were some bigger fish still out there that we were in on like Walker, Jones, Scruggs etc.. Does this shut the door on all but one of those guys? Or maybe all of them? Like you said, it's a little confusing that he's a take right now.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does this leave us on the OL? Do they take one more? It seems like there were some bigger fish still out there that we were in on like Walker, Jones, Scruggs etc.. Does this shut the door on all but one of those guys? Or maybe all of them? Like you said, it's a little confusing that he's a take right now.

I think they still take Walker as a true OT and there is a plus one spot available for Scruggs or Matt Jones

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid weekend event, sounds like we took a solid lead for Mustipher and several others had very good visits. Nice gap filling event between BW game and Lasch Bash....think we get some action soon with Dotson, perhaps starting a chain reaction at WR and a couple more at the Bash.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid weekend event, sounds like we took a solid lead for Mustipher and several others had very good visits. Nice gap filling event between BW game and Lasch Bash....think we get some action soon with Dotson, perhaps starting a chain reaction at WR and a couple more at the Bash.

Can this season hurry up. I am excited to see if the female luck continues for National Championship for us. I hope UM has a awful year, and we manage to beat the Buckeyes 2yrs in a row. Dont think we ever done that.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to lose some receivers now as well.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course ESPN who never posts anything positive about PSU will make Fields de-commitment a headline and that Pacino will play Paterno.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to lose some receivers now as well.

Why? They committed before him. our offense is a dream for skill players and Fields wasn't exactly a recruiter for this class. The WR and TE are also in our wheelhouse recruiting area, not GA. More likely affect is we land Leary or Patterson quickly because of those factors and move on. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Fields back in fold eventually. He wants to take visits, staff made it clear they want him to be committed or not because they don't want caught with their dicks in their hands late in game....similar situation to Parsons....kid loves PSU, parents want him to explore other options.

BTW, Micah back at PSU for second time in a week today, this time with his dad who was the driving force behind him opening it up.....if they can recruit the dad, don't be surprised to see him back in fold eventually.

Either way, we still have a top 5 class AFTER losing those 2, shit happens, kids decommit, we are recruiting at a different level now and other teams will stay on our guys till the end, much like we will with theirs. Just kick back, watch another great season unfold and things will fall into place recruiting wise

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? They committed before him. our offense is a dream for skill players and Fields wasn't exactly a recruiter for this class. The WR and TE are also in our wheelhouse recruiting area, not GA. More likely affect is we land Leary or Patterson quickly because of those factors and move on. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Fields back in fold eventually. He wants to take visits, staff made it clear they want him to be committed or not because they don't want caught with their dicks in their hands late in game....similar situation to Parsons....kid loves PSU, parents want him to explore other options.

BTW, Micah back at PSU for second time in a week today, this time with his dad who was the driving force behind him opening it up.....if they can recruit the dad, don't be surprised to see him back in fold eventually.

Either way, we still have a top 5 class AFTER losing those 2, shit happens, kids decommit, we are recruiting at a different level now and other teams will stay on our guys till the end, much like we will with theirs. Just kick back, watch another great season unfold and things will fall into place recruiting wise

My God you are always so positive. Fields is going to be a beast at QB for who ever lands him.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My God you are always so positive. Fields is going to be a beast at QB for who ever lands him.

Fields would be a beast in our system no doubt, hate the fact he did a complete unexpected 180 after saying it would take something crazy happening for him to not stay with his PSU commit over the weekend. That said, we are tearing it up with a 3 star QB who most recruited as a safety. We lost out on Dan Kendra, Ron Powlus, landed Anthony Morelli 3 5 star can't miss kids nobody in America recognizes anymore because they didn't pan out. our staff recognized Fields when he was still a 3 star with a limited offer list. I feel pretty confident they'll pull a very good QB in this class, especially with the skill players coming in and OL to block for them. Leary and Ruden my 2 favorites....they are also still all over Fields

To say Fields will be a beast wherever he goes is a stretch, If he chooses Florida, he'll regret it. Boring as offense with an unimaginative system. His best landing spots would be PSU or FSU.

Again, we are still a top 5 class, we will still get a good QB and we will have decommits every year recruiting at this level...hell OSU and Michigan had 6 each last year.