• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State 2016 Recruiting Thread

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our overall ranking may not be high but we got what we NEEDED which is way more important. Unfortunately there will be those who won't see the big picture and will see this recruiting season as a failure. While recruiting is very important, it has been way over blown the last few years. No one knows how these players will pan out, lord knows PSU has seen their fair share of 5 stars that ended up as busts (Austin Scott ring any bells?). I would rather have a 3 star that can be coached up than a 5 star that has already reached his peak. I guarantee you this past Wednesday will be the last we hear of MOST of these 5 stars.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our overall ranking may not be high but we got what we NEEDED which is way more important. Unfortunately there will be those who won't see the big picture and will see this recruiting season as a failure. While recruiting is very important, it has been way over blown the last few years. No one knows how these players will pan out, lord knows PSU has seen their fair share of 5 stars that ended up as busts (Austin Scott ring any bells?). I would rather have a 3 star that can be coached up than a 5 star that has already reached his peak. I guarantee you this past Wednesday will be the last we hear of MOST of these 5 stars.

Scott was a 4 star and his troubles were more off the field than on it. Miles has no such trouble and he is the #1 RB in nation, not just a 5 star. He's as compete a back as you'll find, power, speed, catches ball well, elusiveness. He's one of top 5 players I've ever seen live in WPIAL.

Yes, there will be 5 star busts, but the kids we got this year seem to have plenty of room to grow, especially a guy like Menet and Simmons, both of who can ad weight in a college lifting program and become even more explosive....Simmons actually plans to redshirt and do just that. Look at Bama and Clemson rosters, they are littered with 4-5 star kids. If we want to win big that's the type of player we need and fill in the rest with 3 stars who have potential. We have 21 4-5 stars in last 2 classes, 11 total in previous 3. We are on the right track.

Really excited to see Moorhead offense with teh weapons we have. Miles will be playing from day 1. They want to play him all over the place, in slot, single back, split back with BArkley, they know he's special and can help them from the jump.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I was disappointed with how we finished the race but I am excited for the players we did get. Now I disagree with the 3 star vs 5 star debate because I believe a good coach (Saban, & Meyer) can still can get a 5 star to play as a team. Now we have seen with USC in the past how they would land #1 class after #1 class filled with 5 star players and they just couldn't jell as a team. I think their is a misjudgment on 5 star busts because it happens with all stars but you remember the 5 star players names more and there is less of them. Any ways I think we got a great group of kids but yes I am greedy I would have liked more.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott was a 4 star and his troubles were more off the field than on it. Miles has no such trouble and he is the #1 RB in nation, not just a 5 star. He's as compete a back as you'll find, power, speed, catches ball well, elusiveness. He's one of top 5 players I've ever seen live in WPIAL.

Yes, there will be 5 star busts, but the kids we got this year seem to have plenty of room to grow, especially a guy like Menet and Simmons, both of who can ad weight in a college lifting program and become even more explosive....Simmons actually plans to redshirt and do just that. Look at Bama and Clemson rosters, they are littered with 4-5 star kids. If we want to win big that's the type of player we need and fill in the rest with 3 stars who have potential. We have 21 4-5 stars in last 2 classes, 11 total in previous 3. We are on the right track.

Really excited to see Moorhead offense with teh weapons we have. Miles will be playing from day 1. They want to play him all over the place, in slot, single back, split back with BArkley, they know he's special and can help them from the jump.

Do we use a 2 RB set with Barkley & Miles? Split one outside for a dump off pass.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we use a 2 RB set with Barkley & Miles? Split one outside for a dump off pass.
Moorhead used quite a bit of split back, shotgun in his offense. Miles can also line up in the slot and catch teh ball well. People also forget about Robinson, who is also a hell of a back. I like this formation/play a few times a game. Mobile QB/Barkley/Robinson in split back shotgun with sanders coming in motion from slot, who the hell does defense key on there??